Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2015, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2015 12:37 PM by Tomasia.)
RE: Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?
(17-05-2015 12:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Tomasia can provide NOT ONE academic or historical reference for his insane idea that those practicing child sacrifice thought that their victims were anything other than innocent.

Why do you believe they thought the victims they were sacrificing were seen as innocent? None of their various mythologies declare the innocence of the victims. Yet you believe it's an insane idea to assume that they didn't acknowledge this?

Why do you believe it was so obvious that they did?

Is it because you think that when they murder a child, that child's innocence is an obvious and undeniable fact?

And where does the responsibility for the murder of their victims fall on in the early pagan myths? Are the crowds indicted? Does guilt fall on anyone in these myths?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2015, 12:35 PM
(17-05-2015 12:29 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Is it because you think that when they murder a child, that child's innocence is an obvious and undeniable fact?

Oh sneaky Tommy, I see you want to go the absolute morality route Thumbsup Good luck with that.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
17-05-2015, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2015 01:09 PM by GirlyMan.)
(17-05-2015 12:29 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Maybe not if by Pablo you mean something used to kill god and then worshipped:
Quote:Well, it's not exactly what you ask about, but hanging was associated with Odin thanks to his self hanging in order to gain knowledge; ritual hanging were important part of rituals in honor of Odin, who himself was called Lord of the Gallows or the Hanging God.

Yes, I saw your post before but I'm not sure it captures what Pablo was talking about. But after looking more into this cross business I'm not sure it captures what Pablo was talking about either. From what I've found so far the cross was not introduced as a symbol of worship until the RCC some 600 years right of Eli Eli Lama Sabachthani. And it may very well have been introduced to convince other religions which had a similar symbol that "Hey look. We're not bad guys. We worship the same gods as you." In the pre-Columbian cultures of Mesoamerica they had this concept of a World Tree which Christian missionaries were quick to give Christian meaning and symbolism to. Still not sure of Pablo's query, but if the worship of the cross was invented specifically to try and feint common ground with other religions only to entrap and enslave them into submission, that very well could be a concept uniquely attributable to Christianity. But it's not something to be proud of.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-05-2015, 12:59 PM
(17-05-2015 12:29 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  None of their various mythologies declare the innocence of the victims.

Why are you focused on explicit declaration of something which all parties obviously stipulated to?

#sigh
17-05-2015, 01:07 PM
(17-05-2015 12:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 12:29 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Maybe not if by Pablo you mean something used to kill god and then worshipped:

Yes, I saw your post before but I'm not sure it captures what Pablo was talking about. But after looking more into this cross business I'm not sure it captures what Pablo was talking about either. From what I've found so far the cross was not introduced as a symbol of worship until the RCC some 600 years right of Eli Eli Lama Sabachthani. And it may very well have been introduced to convince other religions which had a similar symbol that "Hey look. We're not bad guys. We worship the same gods as you." In the pre-Columbian cultures of Mesoamerica they had this concept of a World Tree which Christian missionaries were quick to give Christian meaning and symbolism to. Still not sure of Pablo's query, but if the worship of the cross was invented specifically to try and feint common ground with other religions only to enslave and entrap them later, that very well could be a unique concept attributable to Christianity. But it's not something to be proud of.

Well I'm also not sure, though I would say the concept bear some similarity.

As for the cross I was aware of Mesoamericans, I even heard that god they worshiped was some white guy, though I don't know if it isn't bullshit.

Your concept about cross being used to make common ground with other religions makes sense I think. I even found some info about it on JW site, though they aren't certain that Jesus died on the cross.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
17-05-2015, 01:07 PM
(17-05-2015 11:45 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's cause you're a pussy.

lol, if i was squeamish I would have abandon ship a long time ago

(17-05-2015 11:21 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Dude, that's a piss poor characterization of the forum. Girly's got to take Androgel just so I don't have the testosterone of a little girl and this forum don't feel roid rage like to me.

Nah, I think it's pretty accurate, just like pretty much every place on the internet, it's a hornet's nest for white male testosterone. The few women, and girly-men are the exception.
17-05-2015, 01:09 PM
(17-05-2015 12:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Yes, I saw your post before but I'm not sure it captures what Pablo was talking about. But after looking more into this cross business I'm not sure it captures what Pablo was talking about either. From what I've found so far the cross was not introduced as a symbol of worship until the RCC some 600 years right of Eli Eli Lama Sabachthani. And it may very well have been introduced to convince other religions which had a similar symbol that "Hey look. We're not bad guys. We worship the same gods as you." In the pre-Columbian cultures of Mesoamerica they had this concept of a World Tree which Christian missionaries were quick to give Christian meaning and symbolism to. Still not sure of Pablo's query, but if the worship of the cross was invented specifically to try and feint common ground with other religions only to enslave and entrap them later, that very well could be a unique concept attributable to Christianity. But it's not something to be proud of.

I don't think the worship of the symbol of a cross is even biblical--I am pretty sure it is a man-made thing. I know some christians who don't believe in wearing one because they say it was used as an instrument of death. I really can't think of any passages that specifically say you should worship the cross--worship jesus yes--the cross specifically no.
17-05-2015, 01:12 PM
(17-05-2015 01:09 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 12:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yes, I saw your post before but I'm not sure it captures what Pablo was talking about. But after looking more into this cross business I'm not sure it captures what Pablo was talking about either. From what I've found so far the cross was not introduced as a symbol of worship until the RCC some 600 years right of Eli Eli Lama Sabachthani. And it may very well have been introduced to convince other religions which had a similar symbol that "Hey look. We're not bad guys. We worship the same gods as you." In the pre-Columbian cultures of Mesoamerica they had this concept of a World Tree which Christian missionaries were quick to give Christian meaning and symbolism to. Still not sure of Pablo's query, but if the worship of the cross was invented specifically to try and feint common ground with other religions only to enslave and entrap them later, that very well could be a unique concept attributable to Christianity. But it's not something to be proud of.

I don't think the worship of the symbol of a cross is even biblical--I am pretty sure it is a man-made thing. I know some christians who don't believe in wearing one because they say it was used as an instrument of death. I really can't think of any passages that specifically say you should worship the cross--worship jesus yes--the cross specifically no.

Wouldn't it be idolatry? And JW says something about worshipping cross not being biblical and something that real Chrisitan shouldn't do.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
17-05-2015, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2015 01:22 PM by Tomasia.)
(17-05-2015 12:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 12:29 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  None of their various mythologies declare the innocence of the victims.

Why are you focused on explicit declaration of something which all parties obviously stipulated to?

Why do you believe it was obviously stipulated to? Are you claiming that since it was obviously stipulated, it didn't need to be explicitly declared in the mythology, as was done in the Gospel Myths?

Of course none has ever been a participated in a human sacrifice, so the pathologies of the perpetrators is perhaps quite foreign to us. The closest historical practice would be a lynch mob. In these instances the victims innocence is concealed from the lynch mob (though the victims innocence is quite clear to us). Do you agree with this? Or do you think the victims innocence is obviously stipulated here as well?
17-05-2015, 01:14 PM
(17-05-2015 01:07 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Your concept about cross being used to make common ground with other religions makes sense I think. I even found some info about it on JW site, though they aren't certain that Jesus died on the cross.

Nice. Thumbsup

#sigh