Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2015, 01:14 PM
RE: Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?
(17-05-2015 01:12 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 01:09 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I don't think the worship of the symbol of a cross is even biblical--I am pretty sure it is a man-made thing. I know some christians who don't believe in wearing one because they say it was used as an instrument of death. I really can't think of any passages that specifically say you should worship the cross--worship jesus yes--the cross specifically no.

Wouldn't it be idolatry? And JW says something about worshipping cross not being biblical and something that real Chrisitan shouldn't do.

Well, some Christians say that--technically, anything is idolatry that includes not worshiping God. I used to wear a cross as a christian.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
17-05-2015, 01:16 PM
(17-05-2015 01:09 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 12:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yes, I saw your post before but I'm not sure it captures what Pablo was talking about. But after looking more into this cross business I'm not sure it captures what Pablo was talking about either. From what I've found so far the cross was not introduced as a symbol of worship until the RCC some 600 years right of Eli Eli Lama Sabachthani. And it may very well have been introduced to convince other religions which had a similar symbol that "Hey look. We're not bad guys. We worship the same gods as you." In the pre-Columbian cultures of Mesoamerica they had this concept of a World Tree which Christian missionaries were quick to give Christian meaning and symbolism to. Still not sure of Pablo's query, but if the worship of the cross was invented specifically to try and feint common ground with other religions only to enslave and entrap them later, that very well could be a unique concept attributable to Christianity. But it's not something to be proud of.

I don't think the worship of the symbol of a cross is even biblical--I am pretty sure it is a man-made thing. I know some christians who don't believe in wearing one because they say it was used as an instrument of death. I really can't think of any passages that specifically say you should worship the cross--worship jesus yes--the cross specifically no.

I find it funny that some christians won't acknowledge the cross (and crucifix?) because they're man-made, yet they buy into the entire bible.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
17-05-2015, 01:19 PM
(17-05-2015 01:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 01:07 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Your concept about cross being used to make common ground with other religions makes sense I think. I even found some info about it on JW site, though they aren't certain that Jesus died on the cross.

Nice. Thumbsup

As before happy to help.

(17-05-2015 01:14 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 01:12 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Wouldn't it be idolatry? And JW says something about worshipping cross not being biblical and something that real Chrisitan shouldn't do.

Well, some Christians say that--technically, anything is idolatry that includes not worshiping God. I used to wear a cross as a christian.

Interesting.

But now more important thing - burn the heathen idolater Evil_monster

Ha, I always wan't to say something like this Wink

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
17-05-2015, 01:20 PM
(17-05-2015 01:16 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 01:09 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I don't think the worship of the symbol of a cross is even biblical--I am pretty sure it is a man-made thing. I know some christians who don't believe in wearing one because they say it was used as an instrument of death. I really can't think of any passages that specifically say you should worship the cross--worship jesus yes--the cross specifically no.

I find it funny that some christians won't acknowledge the cross (and crucifix?) because they're man-made, yet they buy into the entire bible.

There you go making sense again Facepalm

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
17-05-2015, 01:23 PM
(17-05-2015 01:20 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 01:16 PM)pablo Wrote:  I find it funny that some christians won't acknowledge the cross (and crucifix?) because they're man-made, yet they buy into the entire bible.

There you go making sense again Facepalm

Mark the date, it's rare. Big Grin
17-05-2015, 01:27 PM
(17-05-2015 01:13 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 12:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why are you focused on explicit declaration of something which all parties obviously stipulated to?

Why do you believe it was obviously stipulated to?

Because they sacrificed the most innocent among them to the gods and executed thieves, rapists and murderers. Sacrificing a thief, rapist or murderer to the gods would be crazy. Like we ain't getting no rain and we gonna die crazy.

(17-05-2015 01:13 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Are you claiming that since it was obviously stipulated, it didn't need to be explicitly declared in the mythology, ...

Yes. I don't see anything other than a trivial semantic difference between explicitly stating and stipulating to. Six of one, half a scrotal sac of the other. There is no effective difference in a US court of law.

(17-05-2015 01:13 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  ... as was done in the Gospel Myths?

I still don't see how it was explicitly declared in the Gospel Myths but I ain't the brightest light in the harbor or the sharpest tool in the shed. But I am sharp enough to know that your distinctions are inconsequential.

#sigh
17-05-2015, 01:35 PM
It's outta the playbook Girly Wink

Attack some inconsequential thing and bog down the discussion in details.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
17-05-2015, 01:42 PM
(17-05-2015 01:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Because they sacrificed the most innocent among them to the gods and executed thieves, rapists and murderers. Sacrificing a thief, rapist or murderer to the gods would be crazy. Like we ain't getting no rain and we gonna die crazy.

All sorts of people were sacrificed, including prisoners of wars, and criminals.

But you think that when they sacrificed those you see as "the most innocent" among them, that they obviously saw that they were the "the most innocent"? I mean there innocence is quite obvious to you, so it should have been for them as well?
17-05-2015, 01:49 PM
(17-05-2015 01:42 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 01:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Because they sacrificed the most innocent among them to the gods and executed thieves, rapists and murderers. Sacrificing a thief, rapist or murderer to the gods would be crazy. Like we ain't getting no rain and we gonna die crazy.

All sorts of people were sacrificed, including prisoners of wars, and criminals.

But you think that when they sacrificed those you see as "the most innocent" among them, that they obviously saw that they were the "the most innocent"? I mean there innocence is quite obvious to you, so it should have been for them as well?

No. Criminals and prisoners were executed, not "sacrificed". Nice to see you have no clue what this is even all about. You are an expert in nothing (obviously). Anything you assert requires substantiation with historical references.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
17-05-2015, 01:59 PM
(17-05-2015 01:49 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 01:42 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  All sorts of people were sacrificed, including prisoners of wars, and criminals.

No. Criminals and prisoners were executed, not "sacrificed". Nice to see you have no clue what this is even all about. You are an expert in nothing (obviously). Anything you assert requires substantiation with historical references.

I had hoped that Tomatillo would have picked up on the distinction between "sacrifice" and "execute" on his own. Oh well. Hope springs eternal.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post