Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2015, 02:41 PM
RE: Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?
(17-05-2015 01:14 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 01:12 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Wouldn't it be idolatry? And JW says something about worshipping cross not being biblical and something that real Chrisitan shouldn't do.

Well, some Christians say that--technically, anything is idolatry that includes not worshiping God. I used to wear a cross as a christian.
Exactly. The last Christian denomination I was with and kabbalah forbade any symbols at all. No crosses, no nails, nothing. They felt if you need a symbol, then you end up giving that item some sort of power over you. Some felt that item could be used as a focus, good or bad. Such as, if I destroyed your beloved cross, that could damage you psychologically and spiritually.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2015, 02:44 PM
(17-05-2015 02:41 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 01:14 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Well, some Christians say that--technically, anything is idolatry that includes not worshiping God. I used to wear a cross as a christian.
Exactly. The last Christian denomination I was with and kabbalah forbade any symbols at all. No crosses, no nails, nothing. They felt if you need a symbol, then you end up giving that item some sort of power over you. Some felt that item could be used as a focus, good or bad. Such as, if I destroyed your beloved cross, that could damage you psychologically and spiritually.

Yeah, I used to wear a cross all the time. But i did get a lecture from one of my christian friends who was against it--saying it was a torture device and an idol.
17-05-2015, 02:45 PM
(17-05-2015 02:41 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 01:14 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Well, some Christians say that--technically, anything is idolatry that includes not worshiping God. I used to wear a cross as a christian.

Interesting. And what's was their stance about paintings in churches?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
17-05-2015, 02:49 PM
(17-05-2015 02:31 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 02:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Jesus Fucking Christ Tomatillo. The distinction you are trying to make between The Sacrifice that is The Word and ritual pagan human sacrifice is wrong headed and misplaced and doomed to fail. Could we maybe take this to a thread of its own? I mean it's your call and I'll keep playing here if you'd rather. But the SNR is getting pretty low wrt the OP.

I'm just curious about your response to this:

"But you think that when they sacrificed those you see as "the most innocent" among them, that they obviously saw that they were the "the most innocent"? I mean there innocence is quite obvious to you, so it should have been for them as well?"

I don't see much of a point in starting a new thread, since it would likely just be me and you going back forth on this. But I'm curious about the perception of yours of "the most innocent". This aspect seems obvious to you, and I'm curious as to why you believe it was obvious to those who unlike yourself, murdered them?

Why do you think it would have been obvious to them?

Oh sneaky Tommy, I see you want to go the absolute morality route. Good luck with that. That's an equally boring and inconsequential topic by the way.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
17-05-2015, 02:49 PM
(17-05-2015 02:45 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 02:41 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Exactly. The last Christian denomination I was with and kabbalah forbade any symbols at all. No crosses, no nails, nothing. They felt if you need a symbol, then you end up giving that item some sort of power over you. Some felt that item could be used as a focus, good or bad. Such as, if I destroyed your beloved cross, that could damage you psychologically and spiritually.

Interesting. And what's was their stance about paintings in churches?

What about churches themselves?
Aren't they supposed to go to their rooms and pray in private?
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
17-05-2015, 02:52 PM
(17-05-2015 07:32 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 06:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "I see no basis for a charge in this man" ... that makes him INNOCENT. Even the gospels say that.

The REASON the Gospel of John changes the day (from the other gospels) for the death of Jesus, is that he wanted to portray Jesus (as any real scholar knows) as the INNOCENT "Paschal Lamb". [u]

lol, you're just reiterating that fact that in the Christian myth the one being sacrificed is declared as innocent, Find me one pre-judeo Christian myth that did the same thing, that declared the innocence of the victim, and places the guilt on the mob.

There's none.

Since I've asked for this several times, and no one has been able to do this. I'm assuming you all came up empty handed. Big surprise.

You seem to not understand scapegoating. Those making the sacrifice are putting their guilt on the otherwise innocent victim. How you can ignore that utterly escapes me.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
17-05-2015, 02:55 PM
(17-05-2015 10:29 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 10:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  You can say this distinction is a trivial one (which would require rejecting Girard's overall view), but it is a unique one.

And Mark Dreher and ego® and many others here also have their unique interpretation of Christianity. My own interpretation of Christianity is that I am my own personal Jesus, my own personal Lord and Savior. So saith The Word. It says so right there in the text. But that is not a concept uniquely attributable to Christianity, it is not even accepted by most (but not all) variations of Christianity. Hell it is not even a concept uniquely attributable to Bob. As far as I can tell Girard's position is provocative and speculative but not Christian doctrine. So it ain't no more uniquely attributable to Christianity than Bob's interpretation.

[Image: 475140.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-05-2015, 02:55 PM
(17-05-2015 02:16 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Just out of curiosity... why does it matter whether there is 'originality' in any given doctrine / dogma / creed?

Our body of knowledge has grown / evolved. Is there a problem with Christianity / Paulanity saying "Yeah, well, these bits from earlier thinking / myths are OK but we're gonna pinch these other bits from over there."

As Newton said about science... "... standing on the shoulders of giants".

As St Anselm said about religion... "... probing the anus of midgets".

Wink

My fight's not with you Holliday. ... I was just foolin' about.

My hypocrisy only goes so far. Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-05-2015, 02:58 PM
(17-05-2015 02:49 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 02:45 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Interesting. And what's was their stance about paintings in churches?

What about churches themselves?
Aren't they supposed to go to their rooms and pray in private?

Well, Mathew 6:6 says so:
Quote:But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
17-05-2015, 02:59 PM
(17-05-2015 02:45 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Interesting. And what's was their stance about paintings in churches?

Same thing. No paintings or drawings, either. (No killing or bombing, though.) No stained glass artwork, no paintings, no engravings, and so on.

As a matter of fact, many insisted the standard painting of Jesus was actually Simon the Sorcerer.