Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2015, 03:55 PM
RE: Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?
(17-05-2015 03:51 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 03:48 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  So only cold, joyless faith?

As for helping with atheism it appear that religion can leed to something good.

Correction:

As for helping with atheism it appears that criticism of religion can lead to something good.

Smile

Certainly. But it appears that when religion put too much faith in indoctrination then results can be surprising. Honesty with Scripture caused or rather helped with losing another believer.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2015, 03:58 PM
(17-05-2015 03:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 02:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  [Image: 475140.jpg]

Jesus Christ Chas. Yes yes I know I'm not Jesus I'm Bob. But they don't fucking know that unless you tell them. You're a horrible wingman. Go away and send JohnnyC in. Tongue

Sorry, I was showing off my green hair - I thought you wanted a wigman. Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
17-05-2015, 03:59 PM
(17-05-2015 03:44 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 03:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It's not plagiarism as long you attribute the source. It's a matter of preserving the integrity and provenance of the concept for fuck's sake.

The distinction between philosophy and religion is an interesting one worth pursuing. For most of Western Philosophy the two were inextricably intertwined. I think the final severing of the umbilical cord came with the nihilists and the pussy existentialists are just trying to reestablish that connection or at least apply some salve to the wound. ... But that's just me.

Not just you.

Thumbsup

At that dinner party religious disputes are confined to the kiddie table.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-05-2015, 04:06 PM
(17-05-2015 03:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 03:44 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Not just you.

Thumbsup

At that dinner party religious disputes are confined to the kiddie table.

Yup.

Last time I looked over there, Bucky was flicking tiramisu at Tommy.

Whose turn is it to clean up after them?

Dodgy

17-05-2015, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2015 04:20 PM by GirlyMan.)
(17-05-2015 04:06 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 03:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  At that dinner party religious disputes are confined to the kiddie table.

Yup.

Last time I looked over there, Bucky was flicking tiramisu at Tommy.

Whose turn is it to clean up after them?

Dodgy

[Image: dogshake.gif]

Calvinist ain't done shit here in a while. Give cleanup to him.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-05-2015, 04:16 PM
(17-05-2015 03:17 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  ...
Fact that Christianity is amalgam of various ideas isn't problem, or it would not be a problem if this stolen ideas wouldn't help this religion to thrive.

Also is simply kinda interesting to see from what consist - another - one true religion.

Fair point.

It seems to me, however, that the indicators point to dying, not thriving.

Thumbsup

17-05-2015, 04:20 PM
(17-05-2015 04:16 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 03:17 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  ...
Fact that Christianity is amalgam of various ideas isn't problem, or it would not be a problem if this stolen ideas wouldn't help this religion to thrive.

Also is simply kinda interesting to see from what consist - another - one true religion.

Fair point.

Thumbsup

Now it may be the case, though one can argue that is not so in Poland, but opinions wary.

I mean to write it in such way that it will be clear I meant past. What Christianity has stolen helped it in the past. Now it's different situation but religion is far from dying I think.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
17-05-2015, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2015 04:43 PM by GirlyMan.)
(17-05-2015 04:20 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 04:16 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Fair point.

Thumbsup

Now it may be the case, though one can argue that is not so in Poland, but opinions wary.

I mean to write it in such way that it will be clear I meant past. What Christianity has stolen helped it in the past. Now it's different situation but religion is far from dying I think.

I disagree. I'm pretty sure I'm watching the death throes of religion and I'm gonna stay the fuck outta the way lest I get hit by a wayward lethal spasm or death throe. My kids' generation gives no shits about God or religion. God died a while ago now, churches just are taking a bit longer to catch up.

17-05-2015, 04:44 PM
(17-05-2015 03:58 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 03:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Jesus Christ Chas. Yes yes I know I'm not Jesus I'm Bob. But they don't fucking know that unless you tell them. You're a horrible wingman. Go away and send JohnnyC in. Tongue

Sorry, I was showing off my green hair - I thought you wanted a wigman. Facepalm

Dafuq? Check your hearing aid batteries old man.

17-05-2015, 04:45 PM
(17-05-2015 04:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 04:20 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Now it may be the case, though one can argue that is not so in Poland, but opinions wary.

I disagree. I'm pretty sure I'm watching the death throes of religion and I'm gonna stay the fuck outta the way lest I get hit by a wayward lethal spasm or death throe. My kids' generation gives no shits about God or religion. God died a while ago now, churches just are taking a bit longer to catch up.

I'm not so sure, though we live in different countries. Religion in Poland is still important even if cause of tradition rather than piety. Also clergy has huge political pull.

Mikhail Bakunin.