Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2015, 09:06 PM
RE: Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?
On divorce, it depends. We don't know if the hatred if divorce started with Christianity or was begun after the Book of Malachi.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2015, 07:07 AM
(14-05-2015 06:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Think I've asked this of Fullerene before and he said "No." if memory serves.

Golden Rule? No. Rising from the dead? No. Qualified salvation? No. So now I'm opening it up to the forum. Is there any concept which can be uniquely attributed to Christianity? What about transubstantiation? Haven't done the research but I doubt it.

Is there anything unique about Christianity or is it just a selective aggregation and amalgamation of previously proposed concepts? A metaphysical Drudge Report.

Maybe original sin and idea that god needs to kill himself while being his own son to forgive humanity for something?

As for transubstantiation Dawkins in "Unweaving the Rainbow" claims that this idea was known to Aryans in ancient India before Christianity was created.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
15-05-2015, 07:21 AM
Short answer: no.

Longer answer: while some of the specifics might be unique-ish the ideas certainly are not. The idea off hell is one that is stolen whole cloth from the Greeks and Romans. As is the idea of a savior god. I can't even think of any of the mythology which is at it's core truly original.
15-05-2015, 07:35 AM
Nothing good in the Bible is original; nothing original in the Bible is good. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
15-05-2015, 07:36 AM
(14-05-2015 08:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-05-2015 07:11 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Pastors who are stupid enough to ask his audience to purchase him a private jet. That can only be a Christian thing right?

The Moonies?

Never heard of them.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
15-05-2015, 07:51 AM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2015 09:19 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(15-05-2015 07:07 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(14-05-2015 06:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Think I've asked this of Fullerene before and he said "No." if memory serves.

Golden Rule? No. Rising from the dead? No. Qualified salvation? No. So now I'm opening it up to the forum. Is there any concept which can be uniquely attributed to Christianity? What about transubstantiation? Haven't done the research but I doubt it.

Is there anything unique about Christianity or is it just a selective aggregation and amalgamation of previously proposed concepts? A metaphysical Drudge Report.

Maybe original sin and idea that god needs to kill himself while being his own son to forgive humanity for something?

As for transubstantiation Dawkins in "Unweaving the Rainbow" claims that this idea was known to Aryans in ancient India before Christianity was created.

That's actually rather interesting. The concept of "personal (ie *spiritual*) purificationan" (as opposed to Jewish *external* or *ritual* purifiaction") came in by the Greek route from Zoroastrianism : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism via Mithraism, (Tarsus was a center of Mithraism ... guess who came from there ?). I never paid any attention to the *actual* transubstantiation concept (the change of a *substance* to another) but the effect of *eating* a sacred substance to turn one *into* the sacred substance is not new. There are many interesting references for that especially from "animism" where hunters ate their prey with ritual respect to gain their courage and abilities. I'll have to check out that Indian reference. Thanks. It is somewhat interesting that the Hebrews FORBAD the priests to share the sacrificial offerings with anyone : (Leviticus 22:14 - 22:16) "Anyone who eats a sacred offering by mistake must make restitution to the priest for the offering and add a fifth of the value to it. The priests must not let the Israelites defile the sacred offerings brought to the Lord, by allowing them to eat the sacred offerings and so bring upon them guilt requiring payment. I am the LORD, who makes them holy." In Hebrew culture, it was a. direct, and b. external. The Greeks and Romans had an influence (as they were the competition)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Roman_mysteries
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_Eucharist

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-05-2015, 07:51 AM
The whole "You are guilty by default and need salvation" thing... I mean, maybe not original (I wouldn't know) but the Christians are the only major world religion who push that idea as a fundamental concept that I know of?

In Islam, Judaism etc AFAICT the model is more "if you manage to follow all the rules then you win pie" whereas in Christianity it's "NOBODY deserves pie BUT if you sign up to our wierd cult then Jesus paid for you to get pie."

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
15-05-2015, 07:52 AM
(15-05-2015 07:36 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(14-05-2015 08:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  The Moonies?

Never heard of them.

Moonies - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unification_Church

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
15-05-2015, 08:56 AM

Yes, a human sacrifice in which the victim is declared as innocent, and the mob that murders him is declared as guilty. - for further reading see Rene Girard's Violence and the Sacred
15-05-2015, 09:14 AM
(15-05-2015 08:56 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Yes, a human sacrifice in which the victim is declared as innocent, and the mob that murders him is declared as guilty. - for further reading see Rene Girard's Violence and the Sacred

Well, Jesus wasn't 100 percent human--he was technically a demigod--which isn't a new concept (see Greek mythology). Also check out Richard Carrier's Kooks and Quacks of the Roman Empire. Link below.

http://infidels.org/library/modern/richa...kooks.html

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post