Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2015, 06:02 PM
RE: Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?
I thought of one.
The Church is the "bride of Christ".
And it's leaders are straight. Laughat
Facepalm ... Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-05-2015, 03:23 PM
Okay, I think I might've found one in GK Chesterton's commentary on "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?"

"It is written, 'Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.' No; but the Lord thy God may tempt Himself; and it seems as if this was what happened in Gethsemane. In a garden Satan tempted man: and in a garden God tempted God. He passed in some superhuman manner through our human horror of pessimism. When the world shook and the sun was wiped out of heaven, it was not at the crucifixion, but at the cry from the cross: the cry which confessed that God was forsaken of God. And now let the revolutionists choose a creed from all the creeds and a god from all the gods of the world, carefully weighing all the gods of inevitable recurrence and of unalterable power. They will not find another god who has himself been in revolt. Nay (the matter grows too difficult for human speech), but let the atheists themselves choose a god. They will find only one divinity who ever uttered their isolation; only one religion in which God seemed for an instant to be an atheist.”

So are there any other religions where their God not only killed itself but questioned its own very existence in a rare moment of divine introspection?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
22-05-2015, 03:31 PM
(22-05-2015 03:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Okay, I think I might've found one in GK Chesterton's commentary on "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?"

"It is written, 'Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.' No; but the Lord thy God may tempt Himself; and it seems as if this was what happened in Gethsemane. In a garden Satan tempted man: and in a garden God tempted God. He passed in some superhuman manner through our human horror of pessimism. When the world shook and the sun was wiped out of heaven, it was not at the crucifixion, but at the cry from the cross: the cry which confessed that God was forsaken of God. And now let the revolutionists choose a creed from all the creeds and a god from all the gods of the world, carefully weighing all the gods of inevitable recurrence and of unalterable power. They will not find another god who has himself been in revolt. Nay (the matter grows too difficult for human speech), but let the atheists themselves choose a god. They will find only one divinity who ever uttered their isolation; only one religion in which God seemed for an instant to be an atheist.”

So are there any other religions where their God not only killed itself but questioned its own very existence in a rare moment of divine introspection?

Odin? Though the true thoughts and ideas of those gods, especially at such a time, are impossible to tell.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
22-05-2015, 04:06 PM
(22-05-2015 03:31 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(22-05-2015 03:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Okay, I think I might've found one in GK Chesterton's commentary on "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?"

Odin? Though the true thoughts and ideas of those gods, especially at such a time, are impossible to tell.

Well Odin killed himself, though he done it to gain knowledge I think. But I don't think that he questioned his divinity.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post