Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2015, 04:58 AM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2015 05:04 AM by Tomasia.)
RE: Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?
(15-05-2015 01:33 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  An innocent sacrificed victim IS the standard scapegoat. There IS nothing "reversed" about that.

lol, people who scapegoat don't see their victims as innocent. The Nazi's didn't see the jews as innocent. The victims may have been innocent, but that aspect is not seen by their victimizers. And in this case those writing the myths.

Find one pre-judeo christian myth in which the sacrifice victim is declared as innocent like the Christian myth.

Go ahead, I'll wait
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2015, 05:01 AM
(15-05-2015 09:15 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I don't think any other religions believe in predestination.

There are belief systems that do... but not religions.

Islam has that, actually.

It's one of their several "Articles of Faith".

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
16-05-2015, 12:03 PM
(16-05-2015 04:53 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Uhm, the victim is not innocent from the perspective of those doing the scapegoat. This is true not just in ritualized forms of scapegoating, but in non-ritualized forms as well. The Jews were innocent victims, but not from the perspective on the Nazis. The black lynch mob victims were innocent, but not from the perspective of the white mob that lynched them.

The cultures and their myths highlighting human sacrifice did not see the scapegoat victim as innocent, or place culpability on those killing them. So when you say "an innocent sacrificed victim", you're saying this as someone looking from the outside in, the way you would say the jews were innocent.

You won't find a single pre-judeo christian myth, in which the innocence of the victim is declared, no one that places the guilt on the mob. In the classic myths this is hidden. Where as in the Christian myth the innocence of the victim is revealed and declared.

What an idiot. The POINT of sacrificing a child, is that it IS innocent. Please go to see a doctor. Maybe you could yet grow a brain.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
16-05-2015, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2015 12:18 PM by GirlyMan.)
(16-05-2015 04:53 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  You won't find a single pre-judeo christian myth, in which the innocence of the victim is declared, no one that places the guilt on the mob. In the classic myths this is hidden. Where as in the Christian myth the innocence of the victim is revealed and declared.

Bullshit. The Mayans, the Phoenicians, hell all of the ancient "pre-judeo chirstian myths" which practiced human sacrifice looked for the most innocent among them so they could assume the guilt of the mob to appease the gods. Not only did they declare the innocence of the victim, they required it. I don't think you know what you are talking about.

(16-05-2015 04:58 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Find one pre-judeo christian myth in which the sacrifice victim is declared as innocent like the Christian myth.

Go ahead, I'll wait

Looks like you didn't have to wait long. Can you not google this shit yourself?

Is this really the best you can do to come up with one concept uniquely attributable to Christianity? Fucking feeble.

EDIT: Ha. Looks like Bucky beat me to it by seconds.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-05-2015, 12:09 PM
(16-05-2015 12:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-05-2015 04:53 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  You won't find a single pre-judeo christian myth, in which the innocence of the victim is declared, no one that places the guilt on the mob. In the classic myths this is hidden. Where as in the Christian myth the innocence of the victim is revealed and declared.

Bullshit. The Mayans, the Phoenicians, hell all of the ancient "pre-judeo chirstian myths" which practiced human sacrifice looked for the most innocent among them so they could assume the guilt of the mob to appease the gods. Not only did they declare the innocence of the victim, they required it. I don't you think you know what you are talking about.

Good point. Purity was often required of anyone who was considered *close* to god(s). For example--Vestal Virgins---link below

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topi...al-Virgins

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
16-05-2015, 12:21 PM
(16-05-2015 12:09 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(16-05-2015 12:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Bullshit. The Mayans, the Phoenicians, hell all of the ancient "pre-judeo chirstian myths" which practiced human sacrifice looked for the most innocent among them so they could assume the guilt of the mob to appease the gods. Not only did they declare the innocence of the victim, they required it. I don't you think you know what you are talking about.

Good point. Purity was often required of anyone who was considered *close* to god(s). For example--Vestal Virgins---link below

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topi...al-Virgins

It was also other way around - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_prostitution

One could ask how much trouble we would avoid if not for tabuizatio of sex by Christianity. Quite a few of young boys and girls would be able to sleep better I think.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
16-05-2015, 01:57 PM
I may be incorrect here and certainly welcome the criticism if I am, but I would say the ideology of the rapture could be uniquely attributed to christianity.
[+] 2 users Like Tonechaser77's post
16-05-2015, 02:31 PM
(16-05-2015 01:57 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  I may be incorrect here and certainly welcome the criticism if I am, but I would say the ideology of the rapture could be uniquely attributed to christianity.

That might be. But there were hundreds of books of "Revelation" (it was quite the fad), so one would have to check that out. The "ushering-in" of the messianic age was a Jewish notion, though. So maybe not.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
16-05-2015, 02:51 PM
(16-05-2015 01:57 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  I may be incorrect here and certainly welcome the criticism if I am, but I would say the ideology of the rapture could be uniquely attributed to christianity.

Could be. Looks like the concept has only been around since the 1800s. There are plenty of ancient religions where the gods someday return to earth but I'm still looking for one where that event is associated with the saved returning from the dead and joining the living in ascending to heaven.

#sigh
16-05-2015, 02:56 PM
(16-05-2015 04:53 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Uhm, the victim is not innocent from the perspective of those doing the scapegoat. This is true not just in ritualized forms of scapegoating, but in non-ritualized forms as well. The Jews were innocent victims, but not from the perspective on the Nazis. The black lynch mob victims were innocent, but not from the perspective of the white mob that lynched them.

But that's also true of the Jesus story; the ones actually doing the scapegoating had him accused of blasphemy. The declaration that Jesus was innocent comes later, in the bible, written as it was by people who really did believe that he was innocent, being that he was the son of god in their reckoning. The Jesus story plays out exactly like you said all the other scapegoating narratives play out:

You Wrote:There innocents is something we recognize only after the fact, like we do when it comes to the Jews, or black lynch mob victims.
[+] 1 user Likes Esquilax's post