Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2015, 04:21 PM
RE: Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?
(15-05-2015 07:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  Nothing good in the Bible is original; nothing original in the Bible is good. Drinking Beverage

Pah! Original sin can be wicked, man.

Big Grin

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2015, 04:29 PM
(16-05-2015 04:21 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-05-2015 07:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  Nothing good in the Bible is original; nothing original in the Bible is good. Drinking Beverage

Pah! Original sin can be wicked, man.

Big Grin

There's no original sin in the Bible. Christian cultists cooked it up.
It was not such a good recipe.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
16-05-2015, 04:31 PM
(16-05-2015 04:29 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(16-05-2015 04:21 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Pah! Original sin can be wicked, man.

Big Grin

There's no original sin in the Bible. Christian cultists cooked it up.
It was not such a good recipe.

Oh well. Unoriginal sin suits me just fine.

Thumbsup

16-05-2015, 06:10 PM
(16-05-2015 02:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-05-2015 01:57 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  I may be incorrect here and certainly welcome the criticism if I am, but I would say the ideology of the rapture could be uniquely attributed to christianity.

Could be. Looks like the concept has only been around since the 1800s. There are plenty of ancient religions where the gods someday return to earth but I'm still looking for one where that event is associated with the saved returning from the dead and joining the living in ascending to heaven.

The Norse concept of Ragnarök seems similar at least.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-05-2015, 07:27 PM
It was free and actively sought converts. That was novel for a bit.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
16-05-2015, 07:46 PM
(16-05-2015 07:27 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  It was free and actively sought converts. That was novel for a bit.

Looks like the Buddhists beat them.

#sigh
16-05-2015, 08:18 PM
Augustine the highly respected catholic apologist pushed 'original sin' very strongly, holding that even tainted babies would suffer hellfire.
His doctrine was opposed by some fellow church men particularly Julian.
The Celtic Church tended to oppose the pre destination viewpoint held in the original sin doctrine.
Those holding to 'original sin', including Calvin and a few others, claim that an all knowing god must by virtue of its nature have pre ordained all secular events.
Hence, in line with this thinking no Christian can be assured of salvation, no matter how good, if arbitrarily chosen for eternal Hell by God in his capricious plan. Original sin was seen as so bad as to see god forgiving only a chosen few, simply as a good will gesture.

As for Christian differences I would suggest this original sin dogma, along with transubstantiation, the rapture, and others may well be found elsewhere, depending on the particular denomination. For example seventh day adventists believe that Jesus is continually going through the books of life and will act as our advocate. This is known as the sanctuary doctrine. I might add they do not teach eternal suffering, but extinction.
17-05-2015, 06:07 AM
(16-05-2015 07:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-05-2015 07:27 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  It was free and actively sought converts. That was novel for a bit.

Looks like the Buddhists beat them.

What the baldies do in the la-la land Orient does not detract from real world Occidental accomplishment. Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
17-05-2015, 06:14 AM
(16-05-2015 12:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Bullshit. The Mayans, the Phoenicians, hell all of the ancient "pre-judeo chirstian myths" which practiced human sacrifice looked for the most innocent among them so they could assume the guilt of the mob to appease the gods. Not only did they declare the innocence of the victim, they required it. I don't think you know what you are talking about.

None of these myths declare the innocence of their victim. You are reading that into the practice. Find one Mayan, Phoenician myth in which the innocence of the victim they sacrificed is declared as innocent.

The only thing you find in a google search is sites doing the exact same thing you're doing here. Reading back into the material, what's not there to begin with. You and no one else here has yet provided a pre-judeo Christian myth in which the human sacrifice victims innocence is declared.

So I'm still waiting.
17-05-2015, 06:20 AM
(16-05-2015 12:09 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Good point. Purity was often required of anyone who was considered *close* to god(s). For example--Vestal Virgins---link below

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topi...al-Virgins

Virginity and innocence are not the same thing.

The reason why innocence of the victim is not declared, is because the culpability of the situation changes. The mob would be deemed as guilty. These aspects are completely hidden in all pre-judeo christian mythologies.