Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2015, 10:09 AM
RE: Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?
The acceptance of an evil act from their good god as a good thing ?

No matter what, their guy must be good. It doesn't matter how many horrific, terrible things this god does as long as he's good in their minds, then everything is right in their world.

And why must their guy be good ?
Because it would reflect poorly on their own character if he wasn't. This is the guy they worship. They can't worship an evil being. What kind of human would they be then ? What would people think ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2015, 10:10 AM
(17-05-2015 10:04 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 10:02 AM)pablo Wrote:  What about the cross?
I did a little poking around, I still can't find another religion that uses their god's means of death as a symbol for him.

There's the Egyptian Ankh.

The Ankh doesn't represent the instrument used to kill their god.
17-05-2015, 10:14 AM
(17-05-2015 10:10 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 10:04 AM)jennybee Wrote:  There's the Egyptian Ankh.

The Ankh doesn't represent the instrument used to kill their god.

Oh I see what u r saying. But the ankh does mean breath of life/eternal life which is the whole point of Jesus and his sacrifice.
17-05-2015, 10:15 AM
I did a little poking around, I still can't find another religion that uses their god's means of death as a symbol for him.

Fair enough. We got 4 then: the Rapture from ToneDeaf, limbo anf the Holy Spirit from Monrovia, and worshipping the instrument of their deities demise from Pavlov.

I think in terms of the latter pablo I'd be looking for a myth which worshipped the instrument of their god's demise as a symbol of the god's sacrifice for his followers. Gotta be one out there.

#sigh
17-05-2015, 10:16 AM
(17-05-2015 09:53 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Your trivial semantic distinctions seem to be lost on everyone but you and some obscure Christian's ideas you are apeing. When that happens to me I typically reconsider those semantics. But that's cause I'm rational and shit. If that's all you got you have most certainly built your house upon the sand.

I'm not sure how this a matter semantic distinctions. All of the pre-judeo christian mythologies of human sacrifices, omitted the innocence of the victim. It shouldn't even be too hard to understand why, because victimizers don't tend to recognize their victims as innocent. And it's the victimizers who tend to write these mythologies, not the victims, or their sympathizers.

Where as the Christian narrative is a myth sympathetic to the victim. His innocence is not only revealed, but is at center stage. It's not a factor that's omitted as in pagan mythology.

You can say this distinction is a trivial one (which would require rejecting Girard's overall view), but it is a unique one. If you want to keep digging through those pagan mythologies, to recognize this fact, by all means do so. And if you find one that begs to differ from what I said, I'm all ears.
17-05-2015, 10:18 AM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2015 10:37 AM by Szuchow.)
(17-05-2015 09:56 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So to update. Despite Tomatillo's feeble objections regarding the crucifixion, the only concept still in the running as uniquely attributable to Christianity is the Rapture as pointed out by ToneDeaf77. ZooChow has refuted Ragnarök but there's gotta be some ancient mythological basis to this. Ima keep looking.
Maybe prophet Elijah lifted up by chariots of fire? Maybe idea expanded from single man to all faithful? And also undergone other changes. It could be basis for idea of rapture I think.

Well, it's not exactly what you ask about, but hanging was associated with Odin thanks to his self hanging in order to gain knowledge; ritual hanging were important part of rituals in honor of Odin, who himself was called Lord of the Gallows or the Hanging God.

Edit: Holy Spirit may have something to do with zoroastrianism - Spenta Mainyu created by the Ahura Mazda.

Edit 2: It appear that limbo is trully unique, or more to the point without some serious digging I can not find something about it being plagiarism. Though I suspect if religion have some form of baptism then it could have some form of limbo.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
17-05-2015, 10:29 AM
(17-05-2015 10:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  You can say this distinction is a trivial one (which would require rejecting Girard's overall view), but it is a unique one.

And Mark Dreher and ego® and many others here also have their unique interpretation of Christianity. My own interpretation of Christianity is that I am my own personal Jesus, my own personal Lord and Savior. So saith The Word. It says so right there in the text. But that is not a concept uniquely attributable to Christianity, it is not even accepted by most (but not all) variations of Christianity. Hell it is not even a concept uniquely attributable to Bob. As far as I can tell Girard's position is provocative and speculative but not Christian doctrine. So it ain't no more uniquely attributable to Christianity than Bob's interpretation.

#sigh
17-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Hey what about monasteries? Monks and nuns are certainly unique innovations of christianity. Damn buddhists and Jains inventing monasteries or recluse communities 500 years atleast before christianity! Wink

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
(17-05-2015 10:29 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  And Mark Dreher and ego® and many others here also have their unique interpretation of Christianity. My own interpretation of Christianity is that I am my own personal Jesus, my own personal Lord and Savior. So saith The Word. It says so right there in the text. But that is not a concept uniquely attributable to Christianity, it is not even accepted by most (but not all) variations of Christianity. Hell it is not even a concept uniquely attributable to Bob. As far as I can tell Girard's position is provocative and speculative but not Christian doctrine. So it ain't no more uniquely attributable to Christianity than Bob's interpretation.

Well, Girard work is primarily anthropological rather than theological, and is perhaps one of the most exhaustive and comprehensive works on scapegoating, and ritual sacrifices we have.

But I'm only highlighting one aspect of it, since the question of the OP was the question of something unique, and this would be the declaration of the innocence of the sacrificed victim.
(17-05-2015 10:18 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 09:56 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So to update. Despite Tomatillo's feeble objections regarding the crucifixion, the only concept still in the running as uniquely attributable to Christianity is the Rapture as pointed out by ToneDeaf77. ZooChow has refuted Ragnarök but there's gotta be some ancient mythological basis to this. Ima keep looking.
Maybe prophet Elijah lifted up by chariots of fire? Maybe idea expanded from single man to all faithful? And also undergone other changes. It could be basis for idea of rapture I think.

Yes, I think there are numerous examples which could imply and form the basis of the Rapture in the OT. I was looking for examples outside of the Babble since the OT and NT are both integrated into Christianity in some sort of forced perverse dysfunctional marriage.

#sigh