Are there any scientists or engineers here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2016, 03:33 PM
Are there any scientists or engineers here?
I'd really like to be a scientist or engineer someday. I'm wondering what it's like and what I'll need to know or remember. Do you have any advice that would help me out?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2016, 03:39 PM
RE: Are there any scientists or engineers here?
(16-04-2016 03:33 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I'd really like to be a scientist or engineer someday. I'm wondering what it's like and what I'll need to know or remember. Do you have any advice that would help me out?

There are most definitely scientists and engineers here. I'm presently majoring in a science, and the best advice I can give you is to be A MINIMUM of one, preferably two classes ahead of the course prerequisites in mathematics.

Leave your science learning to understanding concepts and not math.
16-04-2016, 03:52 PM
I work in engineering and with engineers, but I am not an engineer myself.

For engineering you need math. Lots and lots of math. Beyond that, it all depends on what kind of engineering. Chemical engineering is very different from structural or mechanical engineering.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
16-04-2016, 03:58 PM
Loosely I'm a Computer Media Scientist. A fancy way of saying I can animate and draw plus I know the science that goes into fooling the senses. I don't call myself a Scientist just an artist. Unforcantly for me it a great love of mine just not a paying one. So I work as a locksmith.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
16-04-2016, 04:00 PM
Thats a very broad question. Can you be a bit more specific please?
  • Which engineering discipline(s)? There are many, and they can be quite different
  • What do you mean by "what it is like"?
  • What are your expectations?

P.S.: I´m an electronics engineer since the mid 90s

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
16-04-2016, 04:16 PM
(16-04-2016 04:00 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Thats a very broad question. Can you be a bit more specific please?
  • Which engineering discipline(s)? There are many, and they can be quite different
  • What do you mean by "what it is like"?
  • What are your expectations?

P.S.: I´m an electronics engineer since the mid 90s

I'm fine with anyone talking about whichever disciple they are. The discipline of engineering I'm personally thinking about the most is chemical engineering.
By what it's like, I mean: What do you each day? What equipment do you use? What do you enjoy? What do you not enjoy? Stuff like that.

Sorry I wasn't very clear.
16-04-2016, 04:19 PM
Give Sarah Palin a call she thinks she is a scientist!
[+] 2 users Like DerFish's post
16-04-2016, 04:30 PM
(16-04-2016 03:58 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  So I work as a locksmith.

I always wanted to learn how to pick locks. It seems like a handy skill to have.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
16-04-2016, 05:09 PM
Google "Chemical Engineering jobs" and look through what comes up. It is one of the more demanding majors in engineering, as it cuts through pretty much all of it. As you might expect, it also has a lot of Chemistry. A demanding major, it also generally pays better than the other engineering disciplines.

I personally earned a B. Sc. in Physics in 1983. I've worked on development and use of isotope separation machines, designed and built antennas for spacecraft and done a bunch of mechanical engineering.
[+] 4 users Like Fireball's post
16-04-2016, 06:48 PM
(16-04-2016 03:33 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I'd really like to be a scientist or engineer someday. I'm wondering what it's like and what I'll need to know or remember. Do you have any advice that would help me out?

When ya build yer bridges, don't make ones that fall down. Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 8 users Like Bucky Ball's post