Are there any scientists or engineers here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2016, 06:50 PM
RE: Are there any scientists or engineers here?
I know a scientist. A REAL one - theoretical physics. Smokes a lot of weed. Can't explain shit. I asked once about Star Trek transporter possibility in future, he answered in numbers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2016, 06:52 PM
Forgot to say - my diploma says Network Infrastructure and Telecom Engineer. Very fancy for "knows computers and cellphones"
17-04-2016, 05:48 AM
I'm a software engineer. Not quite the same thing as other disciplines but rewarding in its own right. Engineering is a fine set of disciplines. As to the job prospects... it depends, and is difficult to predict going forwards.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
17-04-2016, 03:30 PM
I'm also thinking about being a chemist.
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
17-04-2016, 03:35 PM
(16-04-2016 03:33 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I'd really like to be a scientist or engineer someday. I'm wondering what it's like and what I'll need to know or remember. Do you have any advice that would help me out?

I'm a geologist who studies mass extinctions related to climatic and environmental change.

Advice? Find a discipline you're interested in and an area of study and see about getting your foot in the door with some entry level research (like undergrad research) to see if you like it. Some science is more lab based. Some more field based. And some is a little of both.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
17-04-2016, 04:21 PM
(16-04-2016 06:48 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(16-04-2016 03:33 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I'd really like to be a scientist or engineer someday. I'm wondering what it's like and what I'll need to know or remember. Do you have any advice that would help me out?

When ya build yer bridges, don't make ones that fall down. Thumbsup

[Image: suspension-bridge-comics-suspense.jpg]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 6 users Like JDog554's post
18-04-2016, 12:55 AM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2016 01:22 AM by Deesse23.)
  • Find out what you like and what not
  • Stay focused and determined at university. Dont let them make you quit! If you start, you will finish, surrender is no option! I remember quite a few folks who were more clever than me but didnt have the balls and discipline.
    never.give.up.
  • Dont stay alone. Most people arent clever enough to do it on their own. Look for a good learning group. Learn how to work in a team.
  • University is (mostly) not about learning some facts, but learning how to learn.
  • You cant understand everything immediately. Dont worry about memorizing facts for tests without proper understanding. With learning more and more, you will understand later what you have learned, the proverbial lights will go on ...at some point! Its like a puzzle, where you dont see the picture when you start. Take your time! Dont panic.
  • Find out your strenghts and weaknesses. Find out where exactly you are in the statistical distribution of engineers. Noting worse than to be an overconfident underskilled idiot (Dunning Kruger!). You wont believe how many are out there!
  • Learn how to deal with stress. Its unavoidable at times, but it will go away. Accept it and deal with it.
  • Engineers are human, not über human. Consider how stupid the average engineer is, then realize that half of them are even more stupid. Ergo: Most of the time you arent the most stupid person in the room!
  • Money is nice but not everything. Look for a job that gives you fun and satisfaction (while making the necessary Money). Dont be a slave to money and career, or at least decide this deliberately.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
18-04-2016, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the advice. Smile
18-04-2016, 11:13 AM
(17-04-2016 03:30 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I'm also thinking about being a chemist.

Join us......... it's pure bliss.............

If you are not sure what you want to do, I would suggest taking some intro classes on which subjects you are thinking about. If you hate sitting in a cubicle and doing math all day, you'll hate engineering. Deesse gave some excellent pointers.

Really, though. PM me if you have any specific questions. There are many facets of chemistry if that interests you.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
18-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Quote:What do you each day?
Engineer? Laugh out load
Have meetings, read emails, invite to my own meetings. Trying to gather information about the projects i am involved with. Learn about our latest products. Learn about the root causes of out field returns. Go to the lab, see what new results we have. Give new info to the lab.
etc. pp

Quote:What equipment do you use?
PC, phone? Tongue
Seriously, most of the time you work form your desk. Lab equipment is insanely expensive and has to be shared by everyone.
I am rarely in the lab, but i like to go there and talk to our lab engineer in order to find out first hand whats going on rather than having to ask others.
One thing you need to know about the world of engineering is: On the bottom of the food chain are the designers and the lab engineers. Once your company figures you are a good engineer, they will remove you from the "lab jobs" and offer management/project management jobs.
Thats what happened to me, but i figured i dont want all of that. So currently i am making "career backwards" and will change to a new department where i can do 50% work in the lab (its also a nice change from the constant desk work / pencil pushing). So if you like the "real deal" like i do, you need to write off the prospect of making career. What i have learned (and like) is the fact that if you are doing a good job "at the bottom" of the food chain, you will gain a lot of respect too, even from higher managers. You will just not be in control of a lot of things.

Quote:What do you enjoy?
Working in a team with various people from various disciplines and create awesome devices.
Solving problems, analysing field returns, finding root causes.
Interacting with people form different countries and cultures. Makes you sometimes very humble!
Testing new ASICs and discovering funny bugs they have Weeping
and above all: learning new stuff!

Quote:What do you not enjoy?
Stupid colleagues, pushy project managers who only care about their persnal goals (bonus $) instead of the common goal (delivering awesome products!), communication problems, language barriers (they are worse than you will think, even amongst academics like engineers. Lots of technically skilled people dont have necessary a lot of talent for language or communication. Picture a German with 5th grade english talking to a Chinese with 7th grade and real bad pronounciation, this is stuff for saturday night live), IT who messes with my PC and i cant control any of it (in a town hall meeting one of our CEOs had a software update popping up in the middle of the presentation, i can still remember our laughs), unnecessary and pointless meetings, all the friction that happens in a major company (we are talking 200k people, 40bio€ sales), stupid processes that hurt more than they help, stupid overpriced tools like Lotus Notes et al., trying to save fractions of a cent per sold unit (we sell 20mio units a year in my business unit alone) by working a whole week on boring details like *can i exchange this real bad and cheap transistor with an even worse and cheaper transistor and our device still works within the given specs?* and finding out only weeks later the latter transistor is going to be phased out soon, because its too old Facepalm

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post