Are there any scientists or engineers here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2016, 10:53 AM
RE: Are there any scientists or engineers here?
(16-04-2016 04:30 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(16-04-2016 03:58 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  So I work as a locksmith.

I always wanted to learn how to pick locks. It seems like a handy skill to have.

Once you get the knack, it's easy. It's all about the tension.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2016, 08:01 AM
(16-04-2016 03:33 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I'd really like to be a scientist or engineer someday. I'm wondering what it's like and what I'll need to know or remember. Do you have any advice that would help me out?

I'm an aerospace engineer, budding software developer, and lawyer wanna bee. PM me if you have particular questions.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
20-04-2016, 09:04 AM
(17-04-2016 03:30 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I'm also thinking about being a chemist.

Opening a crack house does not make a chemist be. Wink

I studied the science of the paradiddle. Still discovering its hidden secrets after 35+ years. Though I doubt it counts. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
20-04-2016, 04:59 PM
I am a professor actually, and I teach the Mathematics of Quantum Neutrino Fields at a local community college.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
20-04-2016, 06:17 PM
(20-04-2016 04:59 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I am a professor actually, and I teach the Mathematics of Quantum Neutrino Fields at a local community college.

Hey, the "Two Truths and a Lie" thread is up above. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
21-04-2016, 12:04 AM
It depends on where you live...

Engineering is the main industry in my hometown. I know...a lot...of engineers. Almost all of the ones I know work with missile defense, and most of those majored in either mechanical or chemical engineering.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
29-04-2016, 08:24 PM
Well, this is a pretty open-ended question so let me start with a few of my own:

- Why? Not to discourage you but I really wish somebody had asked me this one. It would have saved me pursuing a lot of dead ends. Most careers in science are demanding so if you don't have the motivation it will work out poorly, if at all. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, I'm saying you should sit down and think very carefully about exactly what you want to do and why you want to do it. You can lead a fulfilling life, have a wonderful career and enjoy science in the world around you without ever making it your career. Or you can be a brilliant scientist. The "Why?" is important though.

- How's your science background? If you're in a religous school it may have left you poorly prepared for a science major in university. Mind you, some religious schools have excellent science programs, but some suck rocks through a bendy straw. Some public schools have poor science programs too, but that's rarer. If you're in your final year of school and don't have a basic grasp of evolution, Newtonian physics, pre-calculus and high-school level inorganic chem then you may have a problem. There are various ways to make up for any gaps in your education but they'll cost you time and skull sweat, possibly money too. The sooner you identify them the easier they'll be to mend.

Enough pessimism from me though. I'm a geologist/geochemist but I was a biologist in a previous life. Science can be a world of wonder, especially since you get a whole new perspective on the world that none of your "normal" friends will be able to appreciate. What looks like a rock to you is a fascinating tale of temperature, pressure, deformation and continents that went bump over timescales that defy the mortal mind to me. Don't let the geologist drive, we get distracted by the roadcuts.

[Image: highway_engineer_pranks.png]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
30-04-2016, 06:24 AM
(29-04-2016 08:24 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Well, this is a pretty open-ended question so let me start with a few of my own:

- Why? Not to discourage you but I really wish somebody had asked me this one. It would have saved me pursuing a lot of dead ends. Most careers in science are demanding so if you don't have the motivation it will work out poorly, if at all. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, I'm saying you should sit down and think very carefully about exactly what you want to do and why you want to do it. You can lead a fulfilling life, have a wonderful career and enjoy science in the world around you without ever making it your career. Or you can be a brilliant scientist. The "Why?" is important though.

- How's your science background? If you're in a religous school it may have left you poorly prepared for a science major in university. Mind you, some religious schools have excellent science programs, but some suck rocks through a bendy straw. Some public schools have poor science programs too, but that's rarer. If you're in your final year of school and don't have a basic grasp of evolution, Newtonian physics, pre-calculus and high-school level inorganic chem then you may have a problem. There are various ways to make up for any gaps in your education but they'll cost you time and skull sweat, possibly money too. The sooner you identify them the easier they'll be to mend.

Enough pessimism from me though. I'm a geologist/geochemist but I was a biologist in a previous life. Science can be a world of wonder, especially since you get a whole new perspective on the world that none of your "normal" friends will be able to appreciate. What looks like a rock to you is a fascinating tale of temperature, pressure, deformation and continents that went bump over timescales that defy the mortal mind to me. Don't let the geologist drive, we get distracted by the roadcuts.

[Image: highway_engineer_pranks.png]

It has been hard to choose what I'd love to do. I find just about any science interesting. Chemistry has been really fascinating to me for years. Recently, I've also been interested in astronomy. When you talk about the rocks like that, I want to learn more. I love to learn. I also like to tell people what I learn. I wish I could tell people what I've learned about evolution, but no one would wanna hear that. Instead, I'll reach my mom what I learn about astronomy.

For some reason, when I became an atheist, my love for science grew a lot and I had already loved science before. I'll be there amazed at everything and other people are like "okay."

I wish to look into the different science careers and things again. I really like chemistry and astronomy a lot. If there's something that combines the two somehow, that would be cool.
30-04-2016, 07:05 AM
(30-04-2016 06:24 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  If there's something that combines the two somehow, that would be cool.

There is: planetary science.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-04-2016, 11:04 AM
There is also astrochemistry.