Are we a simulation?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2014, 10:48 PM
RE: Are we a simulation?
(22-07-2014 03:41 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  Recently I stumbled upon an extremely interesting article. It talks about the possibility that advanced civilizations would have the ability to create virtual universes that behaved exactly like our perceived reality...

meh
If it's all a mirage, than the designers of this simulation are more cruel than that vicious god they concocted in that bible of theirs. Starvation, slavery, rape, genocide, plagues - I mean life is good here in the States, but a LOT of the world is a real shithole. I'm inclined to disregard the notion that infinitely superior beings are going to bother burning a digital ant hill with a magnifying glass. Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jagare's post
23-07-2014, 12:15 AM
Plato was such a trouble maker.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 2 users Like Dee's post
23-07-2014, 07:19 AM
We can never create a realtime simulation as detailed as our own universe. Assuming similar laws exist in other contexts then it would seem there is a limit to the number of nested simulations that can exist and support intelligent life.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
23-07-2014, 08:01 AM
That second link in the OP is about a tiny step up from Timecube...

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
25-07-2014, 09:02 AM
(22-07-2014 03:41 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  Recently I stumbled upon an extremely interesting article. It talks about the possibility that advanced civilizations would have the ability to create virtual universes that behaved exactly like our perceived reality...

It is an amazing read, really worth the time.
Full article- http://www.simulation-argument.com/barrowsim.pdf

Further outside analysis- http://www.messagetoeagle.com/holographi...87ZwPRDuro
This universe already works like a simulated reality. Whatever realities we simulate, they work by laws of physics. Gaming computers are frickin' complex electric circuits and video game simulated worlds are a very complex electric spark.

However, no simulation can be more high-powered than its simulating substrate, there is the law of energy preservation, you know. Quantity of energy is the ultimate criterion of reality, just as Hafnof says. I gave some thought to the universe that simulates our universe (don't worry, no infinite regression) but there are people prowling around with sharpened [CITATION NEEDED] signs.
25-07-2014, 12:37 PM
How could we tell?

#sigh
25-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Ok... who left the Crazy Door open again??

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
25-07-2014, 03:34 PM
(25-07-2014 12:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  How could we tell?
Every simulation has an input and output. Look at the Big Bang and virtual particles or quantum foam. These can be seen as input and output of this universe. I don't know yet if particle decay is some kind of universe output or what.

But something tells me that black holes converting matter to EM radiation is a good candidate for the elusive universe's output, because the light has a wave/particle nature, it interacts with the quantum level by default. It is as if halfway out of this universe already.

Does that make sense to you? Got to run, I've pissed off all the resident scientists again.
29-07-2014, 04:53 AM
Any intelligence that dreamed me up has got some major issues to deal with.
29-07-2014, 10:46 AM
This question defeats atheism. If it's possible that your mind can't be trusted, your worldview is absurd. Anything that comes out of your mouth can be ignored, because you can't know what's true.

Truth seeker.