Are we conning ourselves by not taking advantage of the brain dead masses?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Are we conning ourselves by not taking advantage of the brain dead masses?
I always find myself thinking, as atheists, we understand that there is no God and that the notion of there being a God is just a man made fabrication used to control people and protect them from their deepest fears, among other things. We realise that religion and God is a powerful tool to take advantage of people, and comes at no real risk, i.e. you cant disprove that I cant heal people through the power of Jesus Christ. Just look at Scientology, one of the most obviously bullshit, manmade and fraudulent religions in the world, yet they face no consequences, no jail sentences for poisoning minds or ruining lives, they also get tax breaks on their profits.

As we are more enlightened than others on reality, and most of our lives are likely average, work till 65 in a boring job, do you not think we are missing an opportunity by not cashing in on people's ignorance and fear; by making money from religion. We understand we only live once, so we might as well live an amazing life and f the sheep who are ruining the world right?

I think its all perception, we think that we should be moral and not take advantage of others, we think its a bad idea to start your own faith healing ministry, but on the other hand, you could spin it in a more positive light. Just call it survival of the fittest but in modern day terms, the more intelligent take advantage of the ignorant.

What do you think?

Side note: I am moral, if I was in power I would wish to give life imprisonment to all bullshit artists, i.e. faith healers etc. as I feel what they are doing is a crime against humanity. I always get this thought about taking advantage of those I feel are responsible for a lot of the crap in this world, i.e. ignorant people like theists, who together are responsible for such as things as the restrictions on stem cell research etc.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Smile RE: Are we conning ourselves by not taking advantage of the brain dead masses?
In taking advantage of the ignorant masses your value judgement makes you, by definition 'right' by might in your seemingly fascist aim at saving us all.
Anyhow I thought capitalism was doing a pretty good job of exploiting such.
11-11-2013, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 04:40 PM by PoolBoyG.)
Information RE: Are we conning ourselves by not taking advantage of the brain dead masses?
(11-11-2013 03:04 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  As we are more enlightened than others on reality,

No, we are not. Atheism tells you NOTHING about how rational, or empathetic a person is. Atheism just means you don't believe in a very particular magic man- a God. You can still believe in other magic, or magical beings, or in unicorns, a flat earth, or homeopathy, and still be labeled an atheist. You can be a murderer, rapist, thief, and revel in those things - promoting it, and still be an atheist. You can think a religious society is the best system, and still be an atheist just as long as you don't believe in a God.

Atheism is not the be all and end all. Your need additional labels and qualifiers. Secular, anti-theist, humanist, scientific, etc.

Your idea of atheism has additional qualifiers and labels which doesn't seem to be an addition, but a complete redefining.

(11-11-2013 03:04 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  do you not think we are missing an opportunity by not cashing in on people's ignorance and fear; by making money from religion. We understand we only live once, so we might as well live an amazing life and f the sheep who are ruining the world right?

No, that's immoral and disturbing.

Just because you have power over someone, doesn't mean you use it. It takes more power and courage to not use it.

(11-11-2013 03:04 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Side note: I am moral,

Religious people can be just as moral if not more moral than atheists when it comes to actions or thought. I'd buddy up with some guy that is honest, trustworthy, hardworking, charitable, well educated, and is religious, than someone who is the exact opposite and an atheist.

Side note:The false and superficial superiority of many online atheists is a disturbing trend. It's really holding back atheism. "I don't believe in a particular magic - I am now a superior human being and more superior on almost every other subject."
11-11-2013, 04:45 PM
RE: Are we conning ourselves by not taking advantage of the brain dead masses?
Pretty sure that large numbers of people *are* taking advantage of the religion racket without believing a word of it themselves...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-11-2013, 05:21 PM
"It is the philosopher's job to make the ideas available. Not to force them by the sword."

Forcing any belief, taking advantage of people's ignorance in any way is unethical. Present people with facts, appeal to their rational mind and let them make their own decision. If they reject your philosophy that is their decision and you have no right to force them to do otherwise.
13-11-2013, 01:26 PM
(11-11-2013 03:04 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  I always find myself thinking, as atheists, we understand that there is no God and that the notion of there being a God is just a man made fabrication used to control people and protect them from their deepest fears, among other things. We realise that religion and God is a powerful tool to take advantage of people, and comes at no real risk, i.e. you cant disprove that I cant heal people through the power of Jesus Christ. Just look at Scientology, one of the most obviously bullshit, manmade and fraudulent religions in the world, yet they face no consequences, no jail sentences for poisoning minds or ruining lives, they also get tax breaks on their profits.

As we are more enlightened than others on reality, and most of our lives are likely average, work till 65 in a boring job, do you not think we are missing an opportunity by not cashing in on people's ignorance and fear; by making money from religion. We understand we only live once, so we might as well live an amazing life and f the sheep who are ruining the world right?

I think its all perception, we think that we should be moral and not take advantage of others, we think its a bad idea to start your own faith healing ministry, but on the other hand, you could spin it in a more positive light. Just call it survival of the fittest but in modern day terms, the more intelligent take advantage of the ignorant.

What do you think?

Side note: I am moral, if I was in power I would wish to give life imprisonment to all bullshit artists, i.e. faith healers etc. as I feel what they are doing is a crime against humanity. I always get this thought about taking advantage of those I feel are responsible for a lot of the crap in this world, i.e. ignorant people like theists, who together are responsible for such as things as the restrictions on stem cell research etc.

I know much about cults and cultic behavior. I'm taking your post as tongue in cheek since I'm sure you'd rather make a moral, honest living.

Speaking of honest livings, the pastors and families I work most closely with have poor, not wealthy, congregations and rely on hard work to have income.
13-11-2013, 04:45 PM
I realize that I only live once, and that I could take advantage of other people to better myself without any fear of consequences after I die, but that would be immoral. I value the truth too highly for that. People need to know the truth even if it sucks and they'd rather not know it. In the case of religion, I'd rather waste my life fighting it in hopes of improving the quality of life of others than become one of those faith healing scammers and die with the knowledge that I made the world worse in my lifetime and for future generations.

Religion needs to be fought, not validated. And it must be fought with the truth, not with authoritarian measures.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]