Are we hated more than westboro?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2015, 05:50 AM
Are we hated more than westboro?
According to polls and other sources, we are the most hated group of people in America. But, does this also include westboro baptist church?

Does america hate us more than them?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2015, 07:11 AM
RE: Are we hated more than westboro?
I highly doubt we are hated more than WBC. The US has gradually become a bit more liberal in their beliefs with all the equality movements and whatnot.

I think a lot of people who call themselves believers are unknowingly rejecting what the God of the Bible commands and condones. I see so many people saying things like, "Well my God is a loving god who loves everyone equally and blah..."

People will make God into whatever reflects what they believe because most have a deeper sense of morality instilled in them than what the Bible teaches.

Or maybe because they really really don't want to give up bacon.

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
[+] 8 users Like kristenkjordan's post
24-04-2015, 07:42 AM
I actually think this view is more correct.

Quote:Either people naturally have belief in God and certain of his attributes as properly basic or they naturally reason to it from properly basic evidence available in the natural world. (referring to Romans 1:18-21) Whichever of these two views you take doesn't really matter for our purposes. What does matter is the consequence. In short, this means that atheists who deny the knowledge which is generally available to everyone are wickedly suppressing evidence that is available to them.

I don't think that it is hated, it is mistrust and many think that we are openly denying the obvious. Like we would actually do that. Facepalm This is a real conundrum IMO because I have been told before that "you just want to sin" on one breath and then on the next am told that if you accept JC, all is forgiven. So basically I can do whatever I want (just like they can) except I will not feel guilty for doing it apparently because I have no moral compass and all I have to do is accept JC before I croak and I am forgiven for all I do regardless whether I ever made any effort to make it right with the people I wronged. And the motivation to accept him in the first place is what, again?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
24-04-2015, 08:08 AM
(24-04-2015 05:50 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  According to polls and other sources, we are the most hated group of people in America. But, does this also include westboro baptist church?

People only hate atheists in the abstract. While they really hate the westboro baptist.

People are pretty warm to folks like Hitchens, Jon Stewart, S.E. Cup, even tv show atheists, like the Good Wife.

People don't really care for certain aggressive anti-theist types, with Hitchens perhaps being the only exception, but in my view actual atheists are not really hated much at all.
24-04-2015, 08:19 AM
From my understanding, if you look at any of those "thermometer polls" where they gauge people's reaction to groups, people who personally know an atheist are much warmer to atheists than those who don't.

To a lot of people, atheists are those people you see on the news who are trying to stir up trouble.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
24-04-2015, 08:25 AM
(24-04-2015 08:19 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  From my understanding, if you look at any of those "thermometer polls" where they gauge people's reaction to groups, people who personally know an atheist are much warmer to atheists than those who don't.

To a lot of people, atheists are those people you see on the news who are trying to stir up trouble.

I agree. While people likely know a variety of non-religious people, and have non-religious friends, atheists are non-existent for the most part for them. Self-Identifying atheists in some polls barely register as even 1% of the the US Population.
24-04-2015, 09:06 AM
Most people (at least in the US) have either no notion of or, a very skewed understanding of "atheist". The label itself has become some massive team sport instead of an individual contemplation.

Polls are arbitrary. Fuck 'em. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 6 users Like kim's post
09-09-2015, 05:24 AM
Its a great question. I think its one that can only be answered by U.S. residents although Westboro are almost universally internationally reviled atheists are not. I cannot imagine living in one of the country's where there's so much hate directed towards freethinkers and consider my self fortunate I don't.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
09-09-2015, 06:13 AM
(24-04-2015 08:08 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 05:50 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  According to polls and other sources, we are the most hated group of people in America. But, does this also include westboro baptist church?

People only hate atheists in the abstract. While they really hate the westboro baptist.

People are pretty warm to folks like Hitchens, Jon Stewart, S.E. Cup, even tv show atheists, like the Good Wife.

People don't really care for certain aggressive anti-theist types, with Hitchens perhaps being the only exception, but in my view actual atheists are not really hated much at all.

The hatred I've seen towards atheists is anything BUT abstract. I have been forced to go to enough religious gatherings to say the hate is real. The church I used to attend was fairly moderate, and even they preached that atheists were to be shunned and reviled, for they were the servants of Satan.

I have family members that won't speak to me because I'm an atheist. At my father's funeral, they skipped right past me when offering condolences. I have even more family members that won't let me be unsupervised with their children because I'm an atheist.

The hatred is not abstract. It's very very real.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 6 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
09-09-2015, 06:15 AM
(09-09-2015 06:13 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 08:08 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  People only hate atheists in the abstract. While they really hate the westboro baptist.

The hatred I've seen towards atheists is anything BUT abstract. I have been forced to go to enough religious gatherings to say the hate is real. The church I used to attend was fairly moderate, and even they preached that atheists were to be shunned and reviled, for they were the servants of Satan.

I have family members that won't speak to me because I'm an atheist. At my father's funeral, they skipped right past me when offering condolences. I have even more family members that won't let me be unsupervised with their children because I'm an atheist.

The hatred is not abstract. It's very very real.
Hug
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post