• 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2015, 09:17 AM
RE: Are we hated more than westboro?
Baptists are natural assholes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2015, 09:22 AM
(09-09-2015 09:16 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I think the WBC bothers believers because they fear their own irrational belief in deities might cause them to be lumped in with groups like the WBC. There's less difference, ideologically-speaking, between your average no-meat-on-Friday, missionary-position-only Catholic, and the WBC than there is between ANY theist and all atheists. We bother believers so much because our existence points out the narrowness of the divide between moderate churchgoers and whackadoo extremists. We distance ourselves equally from all believers so they hate us because they assume we see them all as being equal with the WBC, ISIS, etc.

I think "the devout" hate WBC for the same reason that most Germans hate NAZIs.....

NAZI's - like Westboro Baptist Church, didn't come from another planet - they came from the rank and file of "the regular folk" --- and this means that it's possible that they could,under the right conditions, become what they so revile.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
09-09-2015, 09:33 AM
(09-09-2015 09:22 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 09:16 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I think the WBC bothers believers because they fear their own irrational belief in deities might cause them to be lumped in with groups like the WBC. There's less difference, ideologically-speaking, between your average no-meat-on-Friday, missionary-position-only Catholic, and the WBC than there is between ANY theist and all atheists. We bother believers so much because our existence points out the narrowness of the divide between moderate churchgoers and whackadoo extremists. We distance ourselves equally from all believers so they hate us because they assume we see them all as being equal with the WBC, ISIS, etc.

I think "the devout" hate WBC for the same reason that most Germans hate NAZIs.....

NAZI's - like Westboro Baptist Church, didn't come from another planet - they came from the rank and file of "the regular folk" --- and this means that it's possible that they could,under the right conditions, become what they so revile.......

Hammer, meet nail head.

They really hate it when you point out that fundamentalists like WBC truly are espousing the actual fundamentals of their religion and it is the "normal" people who are actually making up their own rules.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
09-09-2015, 10:51 AM
(09-09-2015 09:33 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Hammer, meet nail head.

They really hate it when you point out that fundamentalists like WBC truly are espousing the actual fundamentals of their religion and it is the "normal" people who are actually making up their own rules.

Exactly, the WBC holds up an ugly fun-house mirror to the faces of moderate believers.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
28-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Westboro BC are a disgrace to the world, but they are so bad they can almost be seen as funny, because of there stupid parody songs.
[+] 1 user Likes cmr211's post
29-12-2015, 06:34 PM
(24-04-2015 08:19 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  From my understanding, if you look at any of those "thermometer polls" where they gauge people's reaction to groups, people who personally know an atheist are much warmer to atheists than those who don't.

To a lot of people, atheists are those people you see on the news who are trying to stir up trouble.
Yup. The feared Other other is much worse than the godless person next door who mows his lawn and obeys the law like you do, and even has done a couple nice things for you, just like a real person.
29-12-2015, 06:39 PM
(09-09-2015 06:13 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  The hatred I've seen towards atheists is anything BUT abstract. I have been forced to go to enough religious gatherings to say the hate is real. The church I used to attend was fairly moderate, and even they preached that atheists were to be shunned and reviled, for they were the servants of Satan.

I have family members that won't speak to me because I'm an atheist. At my father's funeral, they skipped right past me when offering condolences. I have even more family members that won't let me be unsupervised with their children because I'm an atheist.

The hatred is not abstract. It's very very real.
I hear you. It's easy for me to see it as not really a big factor because the only believing family I have is an older brother that lives a thousand miles away and is willing to be civil and nice and respectful to me even though he's aware I'm an unbeliever. I haven't been inside anything more obnoxious than a UU "church" in the past 20 years, I don't live in the Bible belt and in fact I'm in a major college town, etc.

That said, your perspective may be skewed the other way. The people you cite are rude and dysfunctional but not an actual existential threat. What I seek to avoid among atheists is anything remotely resembling the unseemly persecution complex that theists, particularly fundamentalists, often have. We should not conflate disagreement with personal annihilation.
29-12-2015, 06:45 PM
(09-09-2015 09:16 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I think the WBC bothers believers because they fear their own irrational belief in deities might cause them to be lumped in with groups like the WBC.
I certainly had those concerns when I was an evangelical. It wasn't just extremists but most televangelists and the like.
(09-09-2015 09:16 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  We bother believers so much because our existence points out the narrowness of the divide between moderate churchgoers and whackadoo extremists. We distance ourselves equally from all believers so they hate us because they assume we see them all as being equal with the WBC, ISIS, etc.
Yeah, I think that's about right.
29-12-2015, 06:46 PM
Things of a public religious nature are obviously more well tolerated in Australia than in the US. In the small country town where I live, half the population identify as Catholic, half as protestants, and the other half as atheists.

Point being that we don't really care all that much about personal religious beliefs here; you is what you is, and at the end of the day it simply ain't worth the trouble of arguing the toss.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
29-12-2015, 06:49 PM
(29-12-2015 06:46 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Things of a public religious nature are obviously more well tolerated in Australia than in the US. In the small country town where I live, half the population identify as Catholic, half as protestants, and the other half as atheists.

Point being that we don't really care all that much about personal religious beliefs here; you is what you is, and at the end of the day it simply ain't worth the trouble of arguing the toss.
I don't actually know what most people are here. We never talk about it. Religion is a private thing in NZ.