Are we hated more than westboro?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2015, 06:55 PM
RE: Are we hated more than westboro?
(29-12-2015 06:46 PM)SYZ Wrote:  ... half the population identify as Catholic, half as protestants, and the other half as atheists.

Consider
[Image: math-fail-pics-4071.jpg]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like unfogged's post
29-12-2015, 07:08 PM
Mostly it is the Christians who see themselves as being persecuted, because it fits their worldview.
29-12-2015, 07:09 PM
(29-12-2015 06:55 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(29-12-2015 06:46 PM)SYZ Wrote:  ... half the population identify as Catholic, half as protestants, and the other half as atheists.

Consider
[Image: math-fail-pics-4071.jpg]

Before my triple bypass surgery the doctor did the needle in the leg trick and ran it up close to my heart. He assured me that there are 3 major arteries and 4 of my three were blocked!
30-12-2015, 03:17 AM
(09-09-2015 06:13 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 08:08 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  People only hate atheists in the abstract. While they really hate the westboro baptist.

People are pretty warm to folks like Hitchens, Jon Stewart, S.E. Cup, even tv show atheists, like the Good Wife.

People don't really care for certain aggressive anti-theist types, with Hitchens perhaps being the only exception, but in my view actual atheists are not really hated much at all.

The hatred I've seen towards atheists is anything BUT abstract. I have been forced to go to enough religious gatherings to say the hate is real. The church I used to attend was fairly moderate, and even they preached that atheists were to be shunned and reviled, for they were the servants of Satan.

I have family members that won't speak to me because I'm an atheist. At my father's funeral, they skipped right past me when offering condolences. I have even more family members that won't let me be unsupervised with their children because I'm an atheist.

The hatred is not abstract. It's very very real.
Hearing that this sort of things happen piss me off to no end.
I can`t imagine going trough that. I can only applaud your bravery.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
30-12-2015, 03:54 AM
(09-09-2015 06:21 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 06:19 AM)adey67 Wrote:  He had anal warts ? Wow I had no idea dirty buggerBig Grin

Come on -- anybody who is that much of a gay-basher obviously has some mega-action going on in his closet. I'll bet Fred used a fire hydrant for a buttplug......

Thanks for the mental image. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
30-12-2015, 12:46 PM
I think it has lots to do with the area you live in. Here in the Bible Belt South an Atheist would have a harder time than would a psycho-natic (psycho/fanatic) church goer.
[+] 1 user Likes John Silver's post
30-12-2015, 01:27 PM
(29-12-2015 06:46 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Things of a public religious nature are obviously more well tolerated in Australia than in the US. In the small country town where I live, half the population identify as Catholic, half as protestants, and the other half as atheists.

Point being that we don't really care all that much about personal religious beliefs here; you is what you is, and at the end of the day it simply ain't worth the trouble of arguing the toss.

How do you tell the Catholic atheists from the Protestant atheists? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-12-2015, 01:34 PM
(30-12-2015 12:46 PM)John Silver Wrote:  I think it has lots to do with the area you live in. Here in the Bible Belt South an Atheist would have a harder time than would a psycho-natic (psycho/fanatic) church goer.

Having spent over 20 years in SC, I have to agree with this. Being a former Catholic made it worse. I would only have needed to be black and gay to be more hated.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
30-12-2015, 04:15 PM
(30-12-2015 01:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-12-2015 06:46 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Things of a public religious nature are obviously more well tolerated in Australia than in the US. In the small country town where I live, half the population identify as Catholic, half as protestants, and the other half as atheists.

Point being that we don't really care all that much about personal religious beliefs here; you is what you is, and at the end of the day it simply ain't worth the trouble of arguing the toss.

How do you tell the Catholic atheists from the Protestant atheists? Consider
The Catholic ones feel guilty about it.
[+] 5 users Like Clockwork's post
02-01-2016, 06:09 PM
A bit of info on this I had saved in my files..interesting perspective..

Consider this news story that came out in 2011 from the Washington Post:

Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

"Long after blacks and Jews have made great strides, and even as homosexuals gain respect, acceptance and new rights, there is still a group that lots of Americans just don’t like much: atheists. Those who don’t believe in God are widely considered to be immoral, wicked and angry. They can’t join the Boy Scouts. Atheist soldiers are rated potentially deficient when they do not score as sufficiently “spiritual” in military psychological evaluations. Surveys find that most Americans refuse or are reluctant to marry or vote for nontheists; in other words, nonbelievers are one minority still commonly denied in practical terms the right to assume office despite the constitutional ban on religious tests.

Rarely denounced by the mainstream, this stunning anti-atheist discrimination is egged on by Christian conservatives who stridently — and uncivilly — declare that the lack of godly faith is detrimental to society, rendering nonbelievers intrinsically suspect and second-class citizens.

Is this knee-jerk dislike of atheists warranted? Not even close.

A growing body of social science research reveals that atheists, and non-religious people in general, are far from the unsavory beings many assume them to be. On basic questions of morality and human decency — issues such as governmental use of torture, the death penalty, punitive hitting of children, racism, sexism, homophobia, anti-Semitism, environmental degradation or human rights — the irreligious tend to be more ethical than their religious peers, particularly compared with those who describe themselves as very religious.

Consider that at the societal level, murder rates are far lower in secularized nations such as Japan or Sweden than they are in the much more religious United States, which also has a much greater portion of its population in prison. Even within this country, those states with the highest levels of church attendance, such as Louisiana and Mississippi, have significantly higher murder rates than far less religious states such as Vermont and Oregon.

As individuals, atheists tend to score high on measures of intelligence, especially verbal ability and scientific literacy. They tend to raise their children to solve problems rationally, to make up their own minds when it comes to existential questions and to obey the golden rule. They are more likely to practice safe sex than the strongly religious are, and are less likely to be nationalistic or ethnocentric. They value freedom of thought.

Denmark and Norway for example, which is among the least religious countries in the history of the world, consistently rates as the happiest of nations. And studies of apostates — people who were religious but later rejected their religion — report feeling happier, better and liberated in their post-religious lives.

On numerous respected measures of societal success — rates of poverty, teenage pregnancy, abortion, sexually transmitted diseases, obesity, drug use and crime, as well as economics — high levels of secularity are consistently correlated with positive outcomes in first-world nations. None of the secular advanced democracies suffers from the combined social ills seen here in Christian America.

More than 2,000 years ago, whoever wrote Psalm 14 claimed that atheists were foolish and corrupt, incapable of doing any good. These put-downs have had sticking power. Negative stereotypes of atheists are alive and well. Yet like all stereotypes, they aren’t true — and perhaps they tell us more about those who harbor them than those who are maligned by them. So when the likes of Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, Bill O’Reilly and Newt Gingrich engage in the politics of division and destruction by maligning atheists, they do so in disregard of reality.

As with other national minority groups, atheism is enjoying rapid growth. Despite the bigotry, the number of American nontheists has tripled as a proportion of the general population since the 1960s. Younger generations’ tolerance for the endless disputes of religion is waning fast. Surveys designed to overcome the understandable reluctance to admit atheism have found that as many as 60 million Americans — a fifth of the population — are not believers. Our nonreligious compatriots should be accorded the same respect as other minorities."

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 4 users Like goodwithoutgod's post