Are we living in a hologram?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2017, 06:56 AM
Are we living in a hologram?
New research suggests that maybe, just maybe, things are not exactly as they seem.

The article: Are we living in a holographic universe? New study suggests that it's possible

From the article:
Quote:The concept of a holographic universe is similar, in that essentially we exist on a two-dimensional surface, but the information on that surface expresses itself in three dimensions. As well, gravity and time don't exist at the fundamental level, Kostas Skenderis, a co-author of the study, told CBC News.

It's enough to make your head spin.

The paper abstract: From Planck Data to Planck Era: Observational Tests of Holographic Cosmology
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
01-02-2017, 07:11 AM
RE: Are we living in a hologram?
I'd have liked to have seen that as an available answer for Matt Dillahunty when he debated that smarmy Christian Apologist who kept asking him how he knows that he's not just a head in a vat.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
01-02-2017, 09:21 AM
These guys were not the first to suggest this :
http://www.wired.com/2012/05/geeks-guide-brian-greene/
http://www.npr.org/2011/03/04/134265287/...reality-em

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
01-02-2017, 09:22 AM
(01-02-2017 07:11 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'd have liked to have seen that as an available answer for Matt Dillahunty when he debated that smarmy Christian Apologist who kept asking him how he knows that he's not just a head in a vat.

You can't. So what? What's that got to do with God?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-02-2017, 10:31 AM
(01-02-2017 09:22 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-02-2017 07:11 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'd have liked to have seen that as an available answer for Matt Dillahunty when he debated that smarmy Christian Apologist who kept asking him how he knows that he's not just a head in a vat.

You can't. So what? What's that got to do with God?

That was pretty much Dillahunty's answer, too. Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
01-02-2017, 10:45 AM
(01-02-2017 10:31 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(01-02-2017 09:22 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You can't. So what? What's that got to do with God?

That was pretty much Dillahunty's answer, too. Big Grin

It's the most reasonable answer. God I wish I could think that clearly in a debate. Instead I get stuck forgetting the words I want to use to express a thought and it derails my entire train of thought.

Aaaaanyway, I'm pretty sure we're in the matrix.

When do we get to put our brains into robot bodies, though?

[+] 3 users Like Emma's post
01-02-2017, 10:56 AM
(01-02-2017 10:45 AM)kineo Wrote:  
(01-02-2017 10:31 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  That was pretty much Dillahunty's answer, too. Big Grin

It's the most reasonable answer. God I wish I could think that clearly in a debate. Instead I get stuck forgetting the words I want to use to express a thought and it derails my entire train of thought.

Aaaaanyway, I'm pretty sure we're in the matrix.

When do we get to put our brains into robot bodies, though?

Okay, I had to find the full episode after watching those clips. I loved this show back in the day:

Sorry for derailing... Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post
01-02-2017, 11:01 AM
Ooooooooooooooooh yeah, I'm a huge Sealab 2021 fan!

They had the single best anti-religion cartoon I've ever seen:

[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
01-02-2017, 11:17 AM
(01-02-2017 11:01 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Ooooooooooooooooh yeah, I'm a huge Sealab 2021 fan!

They had the single best anti-religion cartoon I've ever seen:

Oooh yeah, that was a great episode!

My wide and I still quote sealab to each sometimes lol.

Especially about tigerbot hesh, pod six is jerks, woops dart in your neck, we won't honor those bogus treaties, etc. etc.

There's just so much there in that show! Big Grin
01-02-2017, 11:23 AM
(01-02-2017 11:17 AM)kineo Wrote:  Oooh yeah, that was a great episode!

My wide and I still quote sealab to each sometimes lol.

Especially about tigerbot hesh, pod six is jerks, woops dart in your neck, we won't honor those bogus treaties, etc. etc.

There's just so much there in that show! Big Grin

My wife got me a teeshirt of the captain, which says "FIGNUTS!"

She still giggles when I quote the "I'm helping! I'm helping yoouuu!" (as he pours salt on the screaming, partially skinned person) from the Bizarro episode.

[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post