Are we living in the Anthropocene?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2016, 06:05 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2016 06:49 AM by Gloucester.)
Are we living in the Anthropocene?
There seems to be some debate over this in scientific circles but the evidence seems quite strong to me.

There are biological and geological events and signatures that owe their very existence to the actions of humankind. This can vary from the wiping out of multiple species in a short period of time to traces of atomic tests in global deposits.

Within 1000 years of humans arriving on the North American continent all the mega fauna, including bears twice the size of grizzlies, ten foot long beavers and nine foot salmon, had been wiped out. OK, wipe out one species and the food base for others is destroyed, but still the influence of humans.

No doubt we could list other extinctions, mining and other works and deposits on the ocean floor that are evidence of only human activity. Gloucester is built on a thick strata of rubbish and ruin, that is why the town centre is a very slight hill, all that crap building up as the city expanded. Still happening over in the landfill dump outside the city. The evidence will be there forever unless another volcanic era starts (or it collects a direct hit from a nuclear bomb!)

Should we worry?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2016, 06:22 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2016 07:00 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Are we living in the Athropocene?
I think it's the "Anthropocene".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-09-2016, 06:48 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2016 07:17 AM by Gloucester.)
RE: Are we living in the Athropocene?
(03-09-2016 06:22 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I think it's the "Antropocene".

Yeah, my friend has that problem as well.

Wipe out the entire species!

If you did not mean those pesky pests we both got it wrong!

And I have edited the title!

Ah, it only edits the title in the OP it seems.

Admin!!!!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
03-09-2016, 07:12 AM
RE: Are we living in the Anthropocene?
No, we are living in the Dark Ages.

Instead of fearing Satan and Hell, we fear saccharine, saturated animal fat and carbon dioxide.

The priests have simply changed dress code.
[+] 1 user Likes Walter's post
03-09-2016, 09:24 AM
(03-09-2016 07:12 AM)Walter Wrote:  No, we are living in the Dark Ages.

Instead of fearing Satan and Hell, we fear saccharine, saturated animal fat and carbon dioxide.

Saturated animal fat and CO2 have proven ill effects. Saccharine, on the other hand, not so much. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2202324

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
03-09-2016, 11:01 AM
(03-09-2016 09:24 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 07:12 AM)Walter Wrote:  No, we are living in the Dark Ages.

Saturated animal fat and CO2 have proven ill effects. Saccharine, on the other hand, not so much. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2202324

If you are avoiding animal fat because of cholesterol - think again. It's being debunked. http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/panel...1502127713

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-09-2016, 01:23 PM
YEE-HAH! Banana_zorro T-BONES TONIGHT!
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
04-09-2016, 11:57 AM
(03-09-2016 11:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 09:24 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Saturated animal fat and CO2 have proven ill effects. Saccharine, on the other hand, not so much. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2202324

If you are avoiding animal fat because of cholesterol - think again. It's being debunked. http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/panel...1502127713
Unless you're avoiding it for saturated fat, would is still a good move. Wink

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
04-09-2016, 12:14 PM
(04-09-2016 11:57 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 11:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  If you are avoiding animal fat because of cholesterol - think again. It's being debunked. http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/panel...1502127713
Unless you're avoiding it for saturated fat, would is still a good move. Wink

Yep, saturated fats, trans-fats and sugar are the current enemies. I'm going to take the whole thing with a grain of salt (pun intended) since the guidelines change at least once a decade as we start to learn something about food. What never changes is that eating too much of anything is not good.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-09-2016, 05:22 PM
There's been three major extinction events. Am I correct? Humans did not cause them all.

Extinction events seem to be a perfectly natural occurrence on this planet.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.