Are we still evolving?
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
13-05-2011, 02:22 PM
RE: Are we still evolving?
(13-05-2011 11:31 AM)TheSelfishGene Wrote:  would you mind explaining it further?

I can give it a shot but the idea is not really formulated in my mind. It's similar to the feeling you get when you try to understand how the 11th dimension works. Thoughts falling into a void. -_-

Well, what I'm trying to propose is that cancer is a reaction of the organism to an environmental condition that the organism does not have any defense mechanisms against inscribed in its dna. I believe ('believe' is a strong word but I can't find anything better to substitute it with) that the body tries to alter its dna to defend itself against environmental changes. However, it fails and the effect is cancerous cells that duplicate like rabbits.

Does it make any sense? Huh
Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2011, 12:27 PM
The assumption that an organism can temper with it's own DNA seems impossible if we accept the 'selfish gene' theory of evolution. I think that the genes(DNA) are the replicators and the organism are the vehicles in which the genes try to survive and reproduce. For me it kinda looks like as a car would alter it's driver because he sucks at driving. Also as we have seen cancer is triggered by random environmental effects (with possible genetic predisposition), so I don't see how a body (more exactly the cells) would have a way to alter it's own DNA.
But if it turns out to be true then we would have to think again the whole DNA-body interaction.

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Thank you for your explanation. Blush
Quote this message in a reply