Are we trapped in eternity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2016, 03:27 AM
Are we trapped in eternity?
If the universe some day reaches its limit and collapses in on itself before another big bang happens and it all starts over again, does that mean there's a slight chance we're all going to eventually live all kinds of lives that has ever been? Like being a jew in 1943, or a "witch" being burnt alive? Being a pr0nstar?

I thought I had escaped the horrifying thought of eternity when I became an atheist, but now I'm not too sure anymore...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Typho2k's post
28-11-2016, 07:37 AM
RE: Are we trapped in eternity?
Hello!

Welcome to the forums! Big Grin

Hug

Thumbsup

So, first, a disclaimer. I am in no way any type of Scientist or otherwise knowledgeable in the fields their of.

As to the nature of the universe? There were three ideas at one point. The 'Steady state'. The 'Open' and the 'Closed'.

So, with the 'Steady state' things were thought to just keep on ticking over forever.

Then, really clever folks built bigger and better sky looking devices and just kept seeing 'Stuff' off into the distance as far as they could.

Which lead to them doing lots of other really clever stuff and working lots of other things out which led to the idea that 'G4ravity' might one day make everything slowly coalesce back into a 'Big crunch'. The 'Closed' state of things which seem to be leading you back towards anxiety. Hug

Now, however, folks have been looking at all the far away things and they've noticed a couple of interesting things.

1) Everything we look at out in space which isn't in our neighborhood galaxy is distorted such that every thing else is moving away from 'Us'. *Some one will hopefully be along shortly with a really better explanation as to the nature if the 'Red shift'.

The speed of this 'Moving away from us' has been refined and they've gotten better at it and they've also noted that, not only is everything else moving away from 'Us' BUT it's speeding up/getting faster as it moves away fomr us.

This unknown force has been dubbed 'Dark energy' and the smart folks are working really hard to try and work out what the fek is going on.

Now, one of the side effects of this expanding acceleration is that things won't slow down and collapse back into a big crunch. So it would seem our Universe is 'Open'.

I've typed/prattled on long enough and hope my meager and limited explanation helps a little.

Again I'm pretty sure some one else will come along with a better and more concise answer to your questions soon. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
28-11-2016, 08:04 AM
Why would you think that you would be alive and conscious in a new universe ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
28-11-2016, 08:15 AM
(28-11-2016 03:27 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  If the universe some day reaches its limit and collapses in on itself before another big bang happens and it all starts over again, does that mean there's a slight chance we're all going to eventually live all kinds of lives that has ever been? Like being a jew in 1943, or a "witch" being burnt alive? Being a pr0nstar?

I thought I had escaped the horrifying thought of eternity when I became an atheist, but now I'm not too sure anymore...

There's no reason to believe that your consciousness would survive after the big bang, matter would be torn down past the quark level and reassembled if that scenario were true.

If we were duplicated and a version of you exists on a duplicate Earth at some time in the future, then it's a meaningless type of reincarnation, you won't have any memories of your previous incarnations and you can't experience the reboot in any meaningful sense.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
28-11-2016, 01:07 PM
I think that your fear is unwaranted. Death seems to be end and nothing points to different conclusion.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
30-11-2016, 07:58 AM
(28-11-2016 08:15 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(28-11-2016 03:27 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  If the universe some day reaches its limit and collapses in on itself before another big bang happens and it all starts over again, does that mean there's a slight chance we're all going to eventually live all kinds of lives that has ever been? Like being a jew in 1943, or a "witch" being burnt alive? Being a pr0nstar?

There's no reason to believe that your consciousness would survive after the big bang, matter would be torn down past the quark level and reassembled if that scenario were true.

If we were duplicated and a version of you exists on a duplicate Earth at some time in the future, then it's a meaningless type of reincarnation, you won't have any memories of your previous incarnations and you can't experience the reboot in any meaningful sense.

If we keep gaining another conciousness (and we wont notice all the billions of year it might between each life), we'll be imprisoned in eternity even though we of course would be rebooted without any memories.

It's not meaningless as long as you gain a conciousness like the one you have now.
Which means you will endure every destiny possible, good and cruel...
But only if the universe (or the place outside it) functions the way I'm talking, which wouldn't be the most unlikely hypothesy ever made...
30-11-2016, 08:01 AM
(28-11-2016 01:07 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I think that your fear is unwaranted. Death seems to be end and nothing points to different conclusion.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

If conciousness arised once, what's to say it won't happen again in one of the next big bangs?
If this universe collapses and starts over, that is.
30-11-2016, 08:06 AM
(28-11-2016 07:37 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Hello!

Welcome to the forums! Big Grin

Hug

Thumbsup

So, first, a disclaimer. I am in no way any type of Scientist or otherwise knowledgeable in the fields their of.

As to the nature of the universe? There were three ideas at one point. The 'Steady state'. The 'Open' and the 'Closed'.

So, with the 'Steady state' things were thought to just keep on ticking over forever.

Then, really clever folks built bigger and better sky looking devices and just kept seeing 'Stuff' off into the distance as far as they could.

Which lead to them doing lots of other really clever stuff and working lots of other things out which led to the idea that 'G4ravity' might one day make everything slowly coalesce back into a 'Big crunch'. The 'Closed' state of things which seem to be leading you back towards anxiety. Hug

Now, however, folks have been looking at all the far away things and they've noticed a couple of interesting things.

1) Everything we look at out in space which isn't in our neighborhood galaxy is distorted such that every thing else is moving away from 'Us'. *Some one will hopefully be along shortly with a really better explanation as to the nature if the 'Red shift'.

The speed of this 'Moving away from us' has been refined and they've gotten better at it and they've also noted that, not only is everything else moving away from 'Us' BUT it's speeding up/getting faster as it moves away fomr us.

This unknown force has been dubbed 'Dark energy' and the smart folks are working really hard to try and work out what the fek is going on.

Now, one of the side effects of this expanding acceleration is that things won't slow down and collapse back into a big crunch. So it would seem our Universe is 'Open'.

I've typed/prattled on long enough and hope my meager and limited explanation helps a little.

Again I'm pretty sure some one else will come along with a better and more concise answer to your questions soon. Thumbsup

Thanks!
I understand what you're saying.
If the universe is open, then it seems logical that it will never "crunch".
But one can dream!
30-11-2016, 08:29 AM
You don't have to wait for a new universe. Newly born consciousnesses are arriving every day at local hospitals. One or more could be you.

Or maybe everyone who ever lived is you with a few tweaks to brain chemistry creating different personalities.

Or maybe we are our brains. Once we die, thats it. Shows over. We are finite, but like an ant putting a grain of sand near the water, we can add our contribution to form a vast beach that others can enjoy.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
30-11-2016, 08:37 AM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2016 08:46 AM by Celestial_Wonder.)
Trapped isn't the word I would use, rather I would say, we will exist eternally as one form or another, probably with varying degrees of consciousness.

(30-11-2016 08:29 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  You don't have to wait for a new universe. Newly born consciousnesses are arriving every day at local hospitals. One or more could be you.

Or maybe everyone who ever lived is you with a few tweaks to brain chemistry creating different personalities.

Or maybe we are our brains. Once we die, thats it. Shows over. We are finite, but like an ant putting a grain of sand near the water, we can add our contribution to form a vast beach that others can enjoy.

The waves of the ocean will drown all the ants and erode the beach into nothing. Life is futile!

[Image: 59809531.jpg]

Our beach may be eroded, but we can always build a new beach across the ocean. Our species can survive forever. That is the conclusion I have come to, but we really need to start colonizing space.