Are women more emotional than men?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2016, 10:15 AM
RE: Are women more emotional than men?
(16-03-2016 10:09 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 10:03 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I think men and women are both emotional but women show their emotions more. It's closer to the surface.

And is this a problem? I don't see it that way. Men could learn a thing or two from women. Have a good cry guys, at least once a month. You'll feel much better.
I did't say it was a problem. Why would anyone see it as a problem?
For now:
I'm only interested in being able to spot the differences in opposite genders. As for it's usefulness, that's another topic.

I donno. Women have been accused of being too emotional to be the leader of a country and numerous other things. But I do think women's emotions are closer to the surface, estrogen and all that, but I think as men grow older and their testosterone levels slowly drop they become more easily teary eyed. I saw it happen to my father as he got older. I have no scientific data to back this up with though. Just personal observational stuff.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Seriously ?
You actually think you could "spot" the difference between an enthusiastic man and a quiet/reserved lady based on generalizations ?

Good luck with that. Confused

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
16-03-2016, 10:18 AM
(16-03-2016 09:37 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  My question is:

No.

Next!
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
16-03-2016, 10:20 AM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2016 10:24 AM by Agnostic Shane.)
(16-03-2016 10:07 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 09:55 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I understand what you are saying, however, I am not asking if men and women are emotional. I already assumed that we are. I'm interested in knowing If you think one gender is more emotional than the other, & if so how is it shown in their behaviour.

If my girlfriend and I see a problem and we opt to conform to our stereotypical roles, and her response is to start crying and collapse into the fetal position and my response is to grab a club and crush it while screaming obscenities, the two responses, though quite different, are both emotional in nature. Logic only comes into play as we attempt to find ways to rationalize and achieve our purely emotional objectives. In that regards, I'd say no. Women are not more emotional than men. Though how we express our emotions and the directions they take us differ greatly for a number of reasons.
I think may be you misunderstand the question. I am not asking if we both express emotions, nor am I asking if we both have the ability to express hegthened emotions. Already assume we do.
What I am asking is if women are more proned to heightened emotions than men given the same situation.
In the above example where she cried and fell in a fetal position while you crushed her to death with a club, is this something that occurs often enough to test it and do you think the heightened emotion you observed in both parties are always going to be the same every time. If there is a difference would you be able to predict which gender will be more proned to the heightened emotional behaviour?

Of course if you killed her we wouldn't be able to repeat the test.
16-03-2016, 10:20 AM
(16-03-2016 10:15 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 10:09 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I did't say it was a problem. Why would anyone see it as a problem?
For now:
I'm only interested in being able to spot the differences in opposite genders. As for it's usefulness, that's another topic.

I donno. Women have been accused of being too emotional to be the leader of a country and numerous other things. But I do think women's emotions are closer to the surface, estrogen and all that, but I think as men grow older and their testosterone levels slowly drop they become more easily teary eyed. I saw it happen to my father as he got older. I have no scientific data to back this up with though. Just personal observational stuff.

It evens out after middle age. The hormone levels adjust for both genders. You can even see it - older women have more masculine faces and men's faces grow softer with age.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
16-03-2016, 10:20 AM
According to Pinker The Blank Slate women experience basic emotions more intensely with possible exception of anger.

Here is excerpt form Pinker books dealing with this and couple of others issues.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
16-03-2016, 10:22 AM
(16-03-2016 10:20 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 10:15 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I donno. Women have been accused of being too emotional to be the leader of a country and numerous other things. But I do think women's emotions are closer to the surface, estrogen and all that, but I think as men grow older and their testosterone levels slowly drop they become more easily teary eyed. I saw it happen to my father as he got older. I have no scientific data to back this up with though. Just personal observational stuff.

It evens out after middle age. The hormone levels adjust for both genders. You can even see it - older women have more masculine faces and men's faces grow softer with age.
Very good observation my friend. I think you are quite right. Do you think this may be a result of testosterone/estrogen levels being leveled out as we get older?
16-03-2016, 10:23 AM
(16-03-2016 10:20 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  According to Pinker The Blank Slate women experience basic emotions more intensely with possible exception of anger.

Here is excerpt form Pinker books dealing with this and couple of others issues.
I have also observed this trend. I think anger is a more male dominated emotion.
16-03-2016, 10:25 AM
(16-03-2016 10:18 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 09:37 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  My question is:

No.

Next!
Would you care to elaborate?
16-03-2016, 10:26 AM
(16-03-2016 10:15 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 10:09 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I did't say it was a problem. Why would anyone see it as a problem?
For now:

There is a lot of scientific data that backs up what you have just said. I will post some articles shortly.