Are women more emotional than men?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2016, 10:26 AM
RE: Are women more emotional than men?
(16-03-2016 10:23 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 10:20 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  According to Pinker The Blank Slate women experience basic emotions more intensely with possible exception of anger.

Here is excerpt form Pinker books dealing with this and couple of others issues.
I have also observed this trend. I think anger is a more male dominated emotion.

You haven't seen me angry then. Tongue

And yes, it's all hormonal.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2016, 10:27 AM
Are kadoodles more nafuncukle than batootles? Weeeell?

What does emotional mean?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
16-03-2016, 10:29 AM
(16-03-2016 10:23 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 10:20 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  According to Pinker The Blank Slate women experience basic emotions more intensely with possible exception of anger.

Here is excerpt form Pinker books dealing with this and couple of others issues.
I have also observed this trend. I think anger is a more male dominated emotion.

I observed no such trend, I only quoted relevant literature.

As for anger it's possible exception not something certain.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
16-03-2016, 10:29 AM
(16-03-2016 10:25 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 10:18 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  No.

Next!
Would you care to elaborate?

Simply because you don't see something doesn't mean it isn't there, it simply means you don't see it. Those who assume that women are more emotional than men ignore that point -- not saying that you are making that assumption.
16-03-2016, 10:35 AM
(16-03-2016 10:20 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 10:07 AM)yakherder Wrote:  If my girlfriend and I see a problem and we opt to conform to our stereotypical roles, and her response is to start crying and collapse into the fetal position and my response is to grab a club and crush it while screaming obscenities, the two responses, though quite different, are both emotional in nature. Logic only comes into play as we attempt to find ways to rationalize and achieve our purely emotional objectives. In that regards, I'd say no. Women are not more emotional than men. Though how we express our emotions and the directions they take us differ greatly for a number of reasons.
I think may be you misunderstand the question. I am not asking if we both express emotions, nor am I asking if we both have the ability to express hegthened emotions. Already assume we do.
What I am asking is if women are more proned to heightened emotions than men given the same situation.
In the above example where she cried and fell in a fetal position while you crushed her to death with a club, is this something that occurs often enough to test it and do you think the heightened emotion you observed in both parties are always going to be the same every time. If there is a difference would you be able to predict which gender will be more proned to the heightened emotional behaviour?

First, I'm not talking about crushing her. I'm speaking metaphorically about whatever problem we encountered. I would smash the problem, not my girlfriend Tongue And for the record, my girlfriend isn't the touchy feely type that comes to mind when we say emotional, it's just an example.

That said, I think we're talking about different things when we say emotional. In reference to the conversation taking place, I'd say women are, on average, more likely to visually express their sadness. Pride, however, is also inductive of a different emotion. If that's the reason a male chooses to hide his sadness from others, while a stereotypical female chooses instead to cry, both options are emotional in nature. But I think we've just got ourselves into a debate more of semantics than emotional expression.

'Murican Canadian
16-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Actually I read that men are more emotional, but women can express it easier.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
16-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Are gays more emotional than straight men? Another part of the same question. I am not gay, but I am very emotional. I can cry reading a girly romance novel.
16-03-2016, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2016 10:43 AM by Tomasia.)
(16-03-2016 09:37 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  My question is:

Are women more emotional than men?
If they more emotional than men, how do they show it?

It depends on what you mean by emotional. There's a variety of studies indicating the woman tend to be more empathic than men. That when women when hearing about their friends in distress they feel their pain, while men tend to feel it briefly and than infer the rest through rationalization.

But this is not an absolute, just a tendency more predominant in woman overall, than men. There still will be plenty of men that defy this generalization.

"Some research suggests women’s brains are more likely to signal empathy than men’s brains. A 1995 study in the Scandinavian Journal of Psychology showed that women involuntarily imitate other peoples’ emotional expressions more than men—a behavior thought to reflect increased activity of “mirror neurons,” cells in the brain that activate both when someone performs an action and when he or she sees someone else perform that same action. Still, no research has compared the frequency or intensity of mirror neuron activity between the sexes.

Other studies have suggested that rational thought trumps empathy in men’s brains more than in women’s brains. For instance, a 2003 article in the journal Neuroreport found that when women were asked to identify other people’s emotions, their brain activity indicated they were truly feeling the emotions they saw. Men, by contrast, showed activity in brain regions associated with rational analysis, indicating they were just identifying the emotions and considering whether they’d seen them before—a more objective position."

http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/...c_than_men

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
16-03-2016, 11:07 AM
(16-03-2016 10:29 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 10:23 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I have also observed this trend. I think anger is a more male dominated emotion.

I observed no such trend, I only quoted relevant literature.

As for anger it's possible exception not something certain.
Maybe I'm missing a punctuation somewhere in there.
I was only talk about my observation & not trying to associate it with yours. Thanks for pointing out it though. Hopefully others can tell us what they have observed as well.
16-03-2016, 11:08 AM
(16-03-2016 10:37 AM)DerFish Wrote:  Are gays more emotional than straight men? Another part of the same question. I am not gay, but I am very emotional. I can cry reading a girly romance novel.
I think it has a lot more to do with estrogen levels than genes and personal experiences. I will post some articles soon. Others are welcomed to post anything they find relating to the subject.