Are women more emotional than men?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2016, 04:06 PM
RE: Are women more emotional than men?
(17-03-2016 06:15 AM)carol Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 11:26 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I don't have any research before me to prove my suspicion but both genders would be prone to Certain heightened emotional responses based on which hormone is dominant at the time estrogen or testosterone.
Hypothethetical example.
In a situation where my son was running and fell down and damaged his knee in the house I would be more angry (probably shouting) at this than his mom who would run go to pick him up and comfort him while crying for him.
They are both heightened emotions from being in a state of little or no emotions a few minutes before.
It's quite possible to be sad and angry at the same time, but not quite common I think.

My question would have been better asked like this:

Are women prone to be more emotional than men with regards to specific types of emotions?
What are the emotions that women are more prone to than men?

Neuro-typical people usually feel a variety of many different complex and conceptual emotions at the same time, and can differentiate them. If you thought about it, you may be feeling many emotions at once, and respond by yelling because you are afraid he may have hurt himself ( fear for his well being) and annoyed that he ran in the house...as anger feeling is often interwoven with feelings of fear and pain...it is possible that you are not good at determining what emotions you are feeling...and label the feelings as anger when they may be more than one type of feeling. Anger is an easy feeling to determine- it has strong physical components. Some other feelings are harder for some people with autism to determine- but many autistic people feel them, regardless...if you think of different feelings having many different layers, and they all combine to create specific groups of feelings, it may give you a better idea of what I mean. In many cases, people feel hurt first, ( someone hurt you or someone you love) and sad ( your loved one is hurt) and then respond with feeling anger-it takes a split second for them to combine. That is why you need to not respond with anger, wait until you are able to understand what you are feeling and make a better choice using the variety of different feelings you have and also good parenting techniques that are age appropriate as information... and of course comfort your child instead of responding with anger, which was just an emotional and fear based response...it would be a good idea to get some parenting books so you will not respond by anger and yelling or crying... it is a situation that should be handled calmly.
Are you assuming the original question is based on a close personal situation?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2016, 04:07 PM
(16-03-2016 10:10 PM)Fireball Wrote:  ...as far as the original question, I believe that emotional response is pretty much butter- spread across the sexes. I've had my share of berserker moments in my life, and have been played that way, by siblings, cohorts and others. It takes a while to learn how to respond in a way that the response is such that the tormentors leave you alone. This can take a lifetime for some of us; some learn it early on. Different types of intelligence, not a lack of intelligence.

Duly noted.
19-03-2016, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2016 04:14 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(17-03-2016 02:51 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 09:25 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I am Agnostic & for the most part just the average skeptic. I don't lean on any side of the fence except wherever logic leads me.
I don't justify my beliefs because I barely believe anything can be absolutely certain & it really doesn't bug me that much to have a belief in the first place.
If that's what you think a XIAN is then I guess you can call me that, but I don't think I'm a Xian

Apart from the average "asshole" label I have been labelled the following so far:
Christian
Solipsist
Gnostic Agnostic
Academic Skeptic
Atheist
& now Xian

Be sure to check the "What am I?" thread to find a good label that fits.

They can't all be right, can they?

Does it hurt you much when you get labeled by strangers on an internet forum?
You seem to be quite emotional regarding this.

Are you probably female? Or probably want to be female? Consider
Are you assuming that I am hurt?
How did you rule out other possible emotions from my posts?
Why did you ask if I want to be female? Is there anything I said or alluded to make you ask?
19-03-2016, 06:03 PM
Are we talking about humans or naked mole rats?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
19-03-2016, 06:12 PM

I think men and women tend to show their emotions differently and that is partly due to societal expectations and acceptance.

Some people of both sexes are rather stoic and some are quite demonstrative. In between there is every degree.

Little boys (especially of my era) were taught not to cry or to act in other stereotypical ways seen as girl-like while girls were taught to control anger and behaving like a tomboy was often discouraged.

Gender roles and therefore the 'accepted' behavior lines are blurring.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
19-03-2016, 06:23 PM
(19-03-2016 06:12 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Are women more emotional than men?

I think men and women tend to show their emotions differently and that is partly due to societal expectations and acceptance.

Some people of both sexes are rather stoic and some are quite demonstrative. In between there is every degree.

Little boys (especially of my era) were taught not to cry or to act in other stereotypical ways seen as girl-like while girls were taught to control anger and behaving like a tomboy was often discouraged.

Are you stating that men & women don't express certain types of emotions more than others dependent on gender?
19-03-2016, 06:27 PM
(19-03-2016 06:23 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 06:12 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Are women more emotional than men?

Are you stating that men & women don't express certain types of emotions more than others dependent on gender?

I think it has been taught that way. At least for my generation it was taught that boys are supposed to tough...aren't supposed to cry, etc. Girls were expected to be more sensitive and therefore more 'emotional'.

As I said, I think those lines are blurring.

As for feeling certain emotions, I think most people feel a wide range of emotion but are taught which are 'okay' to show openly.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
19-03-2016, 06:51 PM
(19-03-2016 06:27 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 06:23 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Are you stating that men & women don't express certain types of emotions more than others dependent on gender?

I think it has been taught that way. At least for my generation it was taught that boys are supposed to tough...aren't supposed to cry, etc. Girls were expected to be more sensitive and therefore more 'emotional'.

As I said, I think those lines are blurring.

As for feeling certain emotions, I think most people feel a wide range of emotion but are taught which are 'okay' to show openly.

I feel the same way. I as a young boy was taught that I should never feel sad. Our cat got run over in the street. My sisters were allowed to cry,but my father whacked me in the side of the head for crying about that. I first heard of gayness and wondered if it was my problem, but have no leanings that way as an adult, but am still as emotional as any woman.
19-03-2016, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2016 07:12 PM by fstratzero.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormone

You know there is an entire field of science that tells us that women can be more emotional due to changes in their hormone levels.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, have a look at the menstrual cycle, look at menopause, or live with a pregnant woman for a month..

[Image: 54b53307d8c7dc5ffbc8686c0408537bb1823490.gif]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
19-03-2016, 07:08 PM
(16-03-2016 09:37 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  My question is:

If they more emotional than men, how do they show it?

We talking pre or post menopausal?

#sigh