Are you a collector?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2015, 06:51 AM
Are you a collector?
I don't really consider myself a collector of any type - but, I do have a couple of what a buddy of mine calls "collecting fetishes"....

Coleman lanterns. Dunno why - I just started buying them at garage sales a few years back - to have on hand for when the power goes out.. I kept finding nice ones, and kept buying.. Over a dozen of them, dating back to 1949...I've never paid over 20 bucks for one.

J.C. Higgins 20-12 -- 12 gauge pump. My dad had one, when I was growing up (he still has it) so I grew to really like it. It's what's called a "Store branded" gun. It was built by Hi-Standard (model 200) then sold through Sears under the Higgins name. A good solid single bar slide, steel receiver shotgun. I've never spent more than 120 bucks. I have 5, and gave one to my sister.

Flashlights. It all started when I worked at a gun store - and bought a fancy Surefire "tactical" halogen bulb unit. A whopping 80 lumens. The most recent acquisition is a 4 "C" cell, 1000 lumen, focus beam LED unit. Hard to believe we thought 80 lumen was bright.
I have no idea how many flashlights I have. Probably 50 or so, scattered all through the house, garage and out buildings.

So what are you happily hoarding??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2015, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2015 07:27 AM by Free Thought.)
RE: Are you a collector?
I hoard commemorative and foreign coins.

Oh, for funny points; I went through a phase a few years back where I collected screws and bolts; if I found one on the ground, I took it. Much to the confusion of others.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
05-02-2015, 07:45 AM
Yes, I collect old and useless objects from my childhood that I find in the basement. I never want to throw them out. Tongue

Seriously though, I don't think I actually collect something. But if I would, it would be marble balls or Micro Machines.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
05-02-2015, 09:05 AM
(05-02-2015 07:18 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I hoard commemorative and foreign coins.

Oh, for funny points; I went through a phase a few years back where I collected screws and bolts; if I found one on the ground, I took it. Much to the confusion of others.

If society ever breaks down -- you're sitting fat....

A guy I knew was on the USS Panamint - and got to go ashore in Japan immediately after the surrender.... The place was decimated -- and for a handful of nuts and bolts - he got dinner, a bottle of sake, a place to sleep, and some company for the night...

Hang on to yer nuts...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
05-02-2015, 09:21 AM
Lord of the rings/Tolkien things. Books, memorabilia, etc. I have some cool stuff.
05-02-2015, 09:22 AM
I also have a small collection of Wade tea figurines.
05-02-2015, 09:26 AM
(05-02-2015 09:21 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Lord of the rings/Tolkien things. Books, memorabilia, etc. I have some cool stuff.

Wow, I never would have guessed that. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-02-2015, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2015 09:34 AM by Chas.)
I have no real formal collections, but I used to be a serious watch collector/trader.
Also have some old or interesting coins and notes and some old guns.

I definitely seem to acquire stuff like tools, computer stuff, camera gear, and books.
Lots of books.

[Image: 3moon.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2015, 09:50 AM
I “collect” images of fish species. I know that may sound strange BUT I have been on a quest to recreate a study done over the course of 9 years in the Florida Keys back in the 1960’s. A Marine biologist collected/identified 517 species during that time and I have been trying to photograph as many of those as possible. The guy has been published in National Geographic and has a list of credentials a mile long.

I’m up to 252 plus 22 he never saw! Many I will never see because of depth or life cycle but I hope to “collect” at least 300.

This past month I met him, he is in his late 70’s early 80’s. We talked for a while and as we were getting up to leave he says to us, “It would be interesting to compare my findings from then to what you are finding today. Would you be interested in co-authoring a paper with me?”

[Image: 9WJc8sg.gif]

Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
05-02-2015, 09:52 AM
(05-02-2015 09:50 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I “collect” images of fish species. I know that may sound strange BUT I have been on a quest to recreate a study done over the course of 9 years in the Florida Keys back in the 1960’s. A Marine biologist collected/identified 517 species during that time and I have been trying to photograph as many of those as possible. The guy has been published in National Geographic and has a list of credentials a mile long.

I’m up to 252 plus 22 he never saw! Many I will never see because of depth or life cycle but I hope to “collect” at least 300.

This past month I met him, he is in his late 70’s early 80’s. We talked for a while and as we were getting up to leave he says to us, “It would be interesting to compare my findings from then to what you are finding today. Would you be interested in co-authoring a paper with me?”

[Image: 9WJc8sg.gif]

Big Grin
Very cool!

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post