Are you a collector?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2015, 09:52 AM
RE: Are you a collector?
(05-02-2015 09:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-02-2015 09:21 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Lord of the rings/Tolkien things. Books, memorabilia, etc. I have some cool stuff.

Wow, I never would have guessed that. Consider

No one said it couldn't be obvious collections. lol
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2015, 09:53 AM
(05-02-2015 09:50 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I “collect” images of fish species. I know that may sound strange BUT I have been on a quest to recreate a study done over the course of 9 years in the Florida Keys back in the 1960’s. A Marine biologist collected/identified 517 species during that time and I have been trying to photograph as many of those as possible. The guy has been published in National Geographic and has a list of credentials a mile long.

I’m up to 252 plus 22 he never saw! Many I will never see because of depth or life cycle but I hope to “collect” at least 300.

This past month I met him, he is in his late 70’s early 80’s. We talked for a while and as we were getting up to leave he says to us, “It would be interesting to compare my findings from then to what you are finding today. Would you be interested in co-authoring a paper with me?”

[Image: 9WJc8sg.gif]

Big Grin

You don't want to miss this opportunity. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2015, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2015 12:53 PM by Full Circle.)
(05-02-2015 09:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-02-2015 09:50 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I “collect” images of fish species. I know that may sound strange BUT I have been on a quest to recreate a study done over the course of 9 years in the Florida Keys back in the 1960’s. A Marine biologist collected/identified 517 species during that time and I have been trying to photograph as many of those as possible. The guy has been published in National Geographic and has a list of credentials a mile long.

I’m up to 252 plus 22 he never saw! Many I will never see because of depth or life cycle but I hope to “collect” at least 300.

This past month I met him, he is in his late 70’s early 80’s. We talked for a while and as we were getting up to leave he says to us, “It would be interesting to compare my findings from then to what you are finding today. Would you be interested in co-authoring a paper with me?”

[Image: 9WJc8sg.gif]

Big Grin

You don't want to miss this opportunity. No

You have that right. He said he’d go back home and look through his old photos and then have me go out to these sites and shoot from the same vantage point of the reef system.

He will then compare abundance and distribution of species using the REEF.org database (I contribute to this as well) to what he found.

This is very exciting!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
05-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Guitars, though I really don't have that many; far short of what most people would consider a collection:

1. Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Stratocaster - given to me by my wife 9 years ago as an engagement present.

2. Gibson Les Paul Studio Smartwood Series - bought it with my first real paycheck from my first real job after getting out of retail.

3. Art & Lutherie acoustic electric - cost less than $400, but a nice instrument, used mainly for recording. Sounds good accompanying vocals.

4. Vantage Dreadnaught acoustic - my first full size guitar, a gift from my mother on my 16th birthday, which I didn't so much "collect" as I just can't bring myself to get rid of it. It's worth more to me in sentimental value than I'd ever get for it in a sale or trade. Took the strings off it years ago.

5. Ibanez 5-string bass - nice specimen, bought cheap off my buddy when he upgraded to something crazy expensive, just to have as a "house bass" for when friends drop by to jam.

That's it for now.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
05-02-2015, 12:37 PM
I collected comics and related memorabilia as a teen. I used to collect statues of the Chinese literary figure Sun Wukong (the basis for Dragon Ball's Son Goku) when I joined the military after high school. Now I'm on an antique book kick. My most recent purchases are a first edition of Stories From the Arabian Nights (1907) and four 1837 woodblock print booklets from the first complete Japanese translation of Journey to the West (Sun Wukong is the main character). The prints are by the noted artist Hokusai (1760-1849), who is credited with being the father of Manga.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2015, 02:44 PM
I collect dust. It's easy. Wink
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
06-02-2015, 06:54 AM
This is gonna sound weird but those that understand understand.
Xbox achievements. I'm a complete whore.

[Image: oscar.png]
06-02-2015, 11:16 AM
I collect cabbage patch dolls. I have over 200. I know I'm so bad but when my kids moved out I was so lonely and bored. I found a few at second hand stores and it billowed from there. Lol
06-02-2015, 01:42 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2015 01:47 PM by Adrianime.)
I collect video games, especially the original hard copies of games that I enjoyed or loved at any time in my life. Also games that had huge impact in their time (mostly talking about SNES, N64, PS, PS2). I just bought StarCraft battle Chest last week (to replay, and put in my cabinet). Growing up, I always played my friends' copies of StarCraft.

Note that I am generally a thrifty collector. Usually looking for craigslist bundles or people getting rid of stuff.

Oh, I also collect anime. Much more intensely than video games. I have close to 14000 episodes of anime. I actually don't watch regular television much (maybe 1 or 2 shows a year) though. But I watch about 2 hours of anime per weekday, usually on my bus rides to and from work (45 mins each way).

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
06-02-2015, 04:45 PM
I collect nothing.

I throw stuff out.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.