Are you a follower of the "New Atheism" movement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2013, 07:19 PM
RE: Are you a follower of the "New Atheism" movement
I've recently transitioned from "old" to "new" atheism. (About the same time I got comfortable applying the "atheist" label to myself, actually, up until a month ago I would have insisted that I was an ignostic and that this contradicted with atheism.)

I've come to view religion (most specifically Christianity, being the religion in power in the only regions I can have much influence) as being outright evils to be combated, rather than just things that can cause people to do good or evil as they tend to. Now I think that nothing good comes of religion, and that the good things people do in the name of religion, they would be doing otherwise and to greater extent without it. For example, we'd still have the people of the Salvation Army moved to charity even if they were secular, because they're largely good people, but they'd be able to do charity without the added tablespoon of homophobic discrimination.

To be clear, my problem is with the religion, not the religious. I don't have anything against Christians (er, in general, Rev. Phelps can suck elephant dick), and I am content to let them practice their religion in peace and in private (including the privacy of their religious community). In fact, if they're content to do their religious stuff privately and peacefully, I'm delighted. If that's all they're doing, they're such low priority targets that I'll never get around to them, and even if I could, I think that level of aggression would be a counterproductive tactic.

It's the people who aren't practicing privately and peacefully that are dangerous. When people put their faith on public display and, especially, inject it into public discourse, I feel no obligation at all against putting a critique of their faith into the public discourse as well. Fair's fair, after all. And when they use that faith as a basis of trying to influence public policy or society in the direction of victimization, bigotry, or oppression, I'll (figuratively) tear them and their delusions to shreds, and won't stop until one or the other ceases to be a menace.

So yeah, I guess that makes me a "new" atheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
20-10-2013, 07:46 AM
[Image: Salman-Rushdie.The-moment-you-declare-a-...ssible.jpg]

This^

Whatever type of 'atheist' people want to label me as, let them. I 100% agree with the sentiment of Mr. Rushdie on freedom of thought.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
20-10-2013, 12:20 PM
I am part of the new atheism dance troupe. We do interpretive dance on the weekends at the local mall in leotards.

Ironically, quite popular

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
20-10-2013, 12:23 PM
(20-10-2013 12:20 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I am part of the new atheism dance troupe. We do interpretive dance on the weekends at the local mall in leotards.

Ironically, quite popular

You know the rules...pics or it didn't happen (or in this case, video). Tongue

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post