Are you a snob?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2017, 01:33 PM
RE: Are you a snob?
Pens and pencils...and other office supplies.

I buy my own. Kind of strange but I hate a pen that doesn't write smoothly and I use mechanical pencils. I have my special ruler, post-its, and other odds and ends. Not using some generic crap or stuff that was used by someone else before me.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2017, 01:45 PM
(29-07-2017 01:27 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(29-07-2017 01:17 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Be that as it may, there are any number of "lawnmower beers" with more flavor than Coors and better flavor than Budweiser.

I can't even taste the difference between Coors and Budweiser and Pabst et al. They all taste the same to me.

Aren't you from Germany, though? In which case you're spoiled.

Tongue

Long ago, I worked for a company in Milwaukee that had German customers, and I helped teach a class once for a group of their engineers and/or technicians. They were appalled by the quality of our beer (this was in the early 1980s, long before the American craft beer explosion). The final test included a T/F question: "Milwaukee has the world's best beer." You can probably guess how every one of them answered that.

Laugh out load
29-07-2017, 01:51 PM
(28-07-2017 10:05 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Does "Several Species of Small Furry Animals gathered Together in a Cave Grooving With A Pict" qualify as instrumental? I mean, there are no words....well..none that are understandable... Wow, I haven't thought about that song in years.

Yeah, I remember that one from way back when.

Smile

Dream Theater creates some great instrumentals scattered across their albums -- to the point where I wish all of their music was instrumental-only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgnQpxhCPfA
29-07-2017, 02:03 PM
(29-07-2017 01:45 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(29-07-2017 01:27 PM)Dom Wrote:  I can't even taste the difference between Coors and Budweiser and Pabst et al. They all taste the same to me.

Aren't you from Germany, though? In which case you're spoiled.

Tongue

Long ago, I worked for a company in Milwaukee that had German customers, and I helped teach a class once for a group of their engineers and/or technicians. They were appalled by the quality of our beer (this was in the early 1980s, long before the American craft beer explosion). The final test included a T/F question: "Milwaukee has the world's best beer." You can probably guess how every one of them answered that.

Laugh out load

Guilty as charged. And when I first came here, I was appalled at the beer, cheese, coffee and bread. Thankfully that has all improved since.

Americans don't know it, but they are and always have been backward. At least now, if you manage to stay alive (see health care) you can enjoy decent versions of the above. Albeit at unreasonable prices. So many people can't afford to get decent versions of the above - still.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-07-2017, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2017 02:12 PM by Vera.)
(29-07-2017 01:45 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Aren't you from Germany, though? In which case you're spoiled.

Substitute this with Europe and chocolate and you know why I nearly laugh my head off derisively when I see the shelves with Hershey they have here. Or when I hear it called chocolate in the first place

[Image: giphy.gif]

I am also a reverse snob (?) when it comes to bigly-muscled and sports-carred men Yes

Also, men with motorbikes. Yeah, yeah. Spare me. Two of the most wonderful people I've met love motorcycles, including my elderly Portuguese teacher, so I know that #notallmenonbikes, but I know enough of my cousin's friends to stand by my opinion.

I see you revving up on a big substitute for masculinity between your legs (or beneath your butt, in the case of sports car) I sure as hell am judging you and there's nothing you can do to make me *not* think you're overcompensating for something and just a downright dumb shit Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
29-07-2017, 02:06 PM
(29-07-2017 02:04 PM)Vera Wrote:  Substitute this with Europe and chocolate and you know why I nearly laugh my head off derisively when I see the shelves with Hershey they have here. Or when I hear it called chocolate in the first place

Oh yes, same for chocolate.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-07-2017, 08:29 PM
(29-07-2017 01:33 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Pens and pencils...and other office supplies.

I buy my own. Kind of strange but I hate a pen that doesn't write smoothly and I use mechanical pencils. I have my special ruler, post-its, and other odds and ends. Not using some generic crap or stuff that was used by someone else before me.

I refuse to use a pen at the pharmacy counter and will always pull out my own. But I'm pretty sure that makes me a germaphobe rather than a snob. I pay cash so I won't have to touch the card machine at the pharmacy counter. But still have to sign for stuff sometimes.

I think my mother did this to me. "Mama's gonna put all of her fears into you..."

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
29-07-2017, 08:34 PM
(29-07-2017 08:29 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I think my mother did this to me. "Mama's gonna put all of her fears into you..."

A+ Floyd reference Thumbsup

God, I grew up with that album. (I think my favourite now (not that I have to choose) is The Division Bell. Yes, yes indeed)

"So I open my door to my enemies
And I ask could we wipe the slate clean
But they tell me to please go and fuck myself
You know you just can't win."

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
29-07-2017, 08:49 PM
(29-07-2017 02:06 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(29-07-2017 02:04 PM)Vera Wrote:  Substitute this with Europe and chocolate and you know why I nearly laugh my head off derisively when I see the shelves with Hershey they have here. Or when I hear it called chocolate in the first place

Oh yes, same for chocolate.

And those of us who grew up on Hershey's have the same reaction to European chocolate. To me chocolate from Switzerland, France, etc. tastes okay, but somewhat flat and dull. (From what I've read, Hershey's tastes burned to the European palate).
29-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Only, one of them is demonstrably good chocolate and the other is inferior, waxy crap Angel

(And no, am not being a Europhile - chocolate in Bariloche, Patagonia, was beyond awesome. Hershey just does not merit the name chocolate)