Are you a snob?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2017, 02:33 PM
RE: Are you a snob?
(29-07-2017 01:27 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(29-07-2017 01:17 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Be that as it may, there are any number of "lawnmower beers" with more flavor than Coors and better flavor than Budweiser.

I can't even taste the difference between Coors and Budweiser and Pabst et al. They all taste the same to me.

Actually Coors and Bud are quite different. Coors is brewed with corn adjuncts and Bud is brewed with rice adjuncts. Bud also has a distinct acetaldehyde "green apple" bite.

But fair enough: I can't taste the difference between Starbucks Reserve made with a coffee press, and Maxwell House instant made in an aluminum pot on my stovetop. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2017, 02:45 PM
(31-07-2017 02:25 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(29-07-2017 01:17 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Be that as it may, there are any number of "lawnmower beers" with more flavor than Coors and better flavor than Budweiser.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

"American Light Lager" is a legitimate beer style, and AB and Coors produce good, consistent examples of same.

And anything with actual flavor is going to be severely hampered by being chilled to 35ºF Big Grin

Fair enough. I have to confess that (a) I never do yard work (I live in an apartment, and the landlord takes care of that), and (b) When I'm hot and thirsty (for whatever reason), I don't want beer -- I want water or lemonade or diet soda -- something that I can guzzle with no ill effects. I don't think of beer as a thirst-quencher at all. When I drink beer, it's primarily for the flavor, and I want to take my time and savor it. And for my tastes, Coors doesn't have much flavor (I regard "Coors Lite" as redundant), and Budweiser has a bad flavor. But that's just my taste. I have a co-worker who drinks nothing but Budweiser, and have known several others with similar tastes. To each his (or her) own.

I agree with your reply to Dom. Coors and Bud are quite different. I would have no trouble telling them apart in a blind taste test.

I will make another confession about Budweiser, though -- the last time I tried it was many years ago, and what I didn't like about it was that it was too bitter. My tastes have probably changed since then (years ago, I didn't like hoppy beers, either, but some of those are now among my favorites), so maybe I should give it another try.
31-07-2017, 02:52 PM
(31-07-2017 02:45 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(31-07-2017 02:25 PM)Dr H Wrote:  De gustibus non est disputandum.

"American Light Lager" is a legitimate beer style, and AB and Coors produce good, consistent examples of same.

And anything with actual flavor is going to be severely hampered by being chilled to 35ºF Big Grin

Fair enough. I have to confess that (a) I never do yard work (I live in an apartment, and the landlord takes care of that), and (b) When I'm hot and thirsty (for whatever reason), I don't want beer -- I want water or lemonade or diet soda -- something that I can guzzle with no ill effects. I don't think of beer as a thirst-quencher at all. When I drink beer, it's primarily for the flavor, and I want to take my time and savor it. And for my tastes, Coors doesn't have much flavor (I regard "Coors Lite" as redundant), and Budweiser has a bad flavor. But that's just my taste. I have a co-worker who drinks nothing but Budweiser, and have known several others with similar tastes. To each his (or her) own.

I agree with your reply to Dom. Coors and Bud are quite different. I would have no trouble telling them apart in a blind taste test.

I will make another confession about Budweiser, though -- the last time I tried it was many years ago, and what I didn't like about it was that it was too bitter. My tastes have probably changed since then (years ago, I didn't like hoppy beers, either, but some of those are now among my favorites), so maybe I should give it another try.

If you've been drinking beers from the small breweries, you may experience Coors as something very different from what you remember. The differences between artisan beers are huge and "American" beers (they are all American though!) have more of a cohesive flavor.

That said, I do like the old US brands as "lawn mower" beers - weak alcohol and flavor, but that invigorating bubbly feeling and it goes down like water to abate thirst.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
31-07-2017, 02:55 PM
(31-07-2017 02:33 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(29-07-2017 01:27 PM)Dom Wrote:  I can't even taste the difference between Coors and Budweiser and Pabst et al. They all taste the same to me.

Actually Coors and Bud are quite different. Coors is brewed with corn adjuncts and Bud is brewed with rice adjuncts. Bud also has a distinct acetaldehyde "green apple" bite.

But fair enough: I can't taste the difference between Starbucks Reserve made with a coffee press, and Maxwell House instant made in an aluminum pot on my stovetop. Wink

Boy, I can't imagine not tasting the difference in coffee - but, being a snob implies learning all about your object of snobbery. So one develops these tastes...they don't just happen.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
31-07-2017, 03:16 PM
I'm a tea snob, I guess. After buying loose leaf tea from an expensive shop locally, and learning how to finally make it myself the correct way, it's very hard to drink Lipton tea or other generic brands.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
31-07-2017, 05:21 PM
I'm posting without having read any of the previous comments because I am above such drudgery and I'm sure nothing any of you had to say prior was even remotely interesting.

Anyway: no, I am not a snob.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
31-07-2017, 05:43 PM
I'm a snob about rugs; I inherited my mother's two Persian rugs.
[+] 1 user Likes Mary L. Mand's post
31-07-2017, 05:52 PM
(29-07-2017 01:17 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(28-07-2017 04:14 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Yeah, yeah people say that.

I like big malty brews: doppelbocks, Scotch ales; barley wine.

But when I get done mowing a 1/3 acre of lawn with a push-mower on a 90º(F) day, an EKU 28 is not my beer of choice. An ice cold Bud or Coors (or two) is what I need. Yes

Be that as it may, there are any number of "lawnmower beers" with more flavor than Coors and better flavor than Budweiser.

The operative phrase here is "damned by faint praise."

When I was a drinker, my favorite summer brew was locally brewed here in Central Texas -- Fireman's#4 from the RABC in Blanco, Texas. Unlike Bud or Coors, it not only had flavor, it had great flavor, and was still light enough for summer drinking.

If I had to choose between Coors and goat piss, I'm afraid I'd have to flip a coin.
31-07-2017, 05:57 PM
(31-07-2017 02:45 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I will make another confession about Budweiser, though -- the last time I tried it was many years ago, and what I didn't like about it was that it was too bitter. My tastes have probably changed since then (years ago, I didn't like hoppy beers, either, but some of those are now among my favorites), so maybe I should give it another try.

That's interesting. Fred Eckhart did a comparison of versions of Budweiser over a period of decades, and found that the Bud of today has maybe 15-20% of the hop presence that Bud did 40 years ago. But there's a lot of other stuff going on with Bud, so I'd guess that any excessive bitterness is from some factor other than hops.

I've known some people who prefer Miller or Coors because they say Bud givens them a headache (the acetaldehyde is suspect, there). Never happened to me, but then, even after mowing the lawn I don't exactly pound a whole case of it. Two or three 12-ouncers, tops.

The rest of the time I generally go for something with, as you say, more flavor.

--
Dr H

31-07-2017, 06:03 PM
(31-07-2017 02:55 PM)Dom Wrote:  Boy, I can't imagine not tasting the difference in coffee - but, being a snob implies learning all about your object of snobbery. So one develops these tastes...they don't just happen.

Ayup. No argument there.

I haven't put in the work to develop a refined taste for coffee at least partly because, for me, coffee is a beverage I associate with work, not pleasure or recreation. Since college days coffee has meant pulling an all-nighter for a final, or having to be somewhere urgently enough to drive for 18 hours, or getting a project completed in too little available time.

--
Dr H