Are you a snob?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2017, 04:34 AM
RE: Are you a snob?
(26-07-2017 04:25 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  I'm definitely a coffee snob. Organic, fresh ground and shade grown, filtered water, and nothing in the cup but coffee. Hot. I Do Not Do iced coffee (she says with an upturned nose, a sniff, and a sneer.) Drinking Beverage
Of course, that's MY cuppa. At my house, if you want cream, sugar, flavored syrup, or ice cubes with your coffee, I promise not to sneer or make irritating remarks, or laugh - at least not while you are still present. Yup, I'm a snob.

I am also a bit snobbish about wine, and tea, and my refusal to "do" Facebook in any form, and people who obsess about reality shows, and .. um .. and, and

AAAAH! Damn! I really am a snob! Sadcryface
But I'm a Really Good snob, unlike those second-rate snobs you see everywhere. Those people deserve to be poked with a stick and Laughat

Big Grin

I don't know if this says anything about my supposed snobbery, but I feel compelled to interrupt and reply to this.

If anybody here is drinking non-organic coffee, I have to take the sad burden of telling them that it is definitely not coffee. Caffeine has carbon. Inorganic matter lacks it.

Unless it is water, please avoid drinking inorganic substances.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
27-07-2017, 05:20 AM
(27-07-2017 04:12 AM)Sturm Wrote:  Almost the same, I'm a snob regarding guitar picks, I only use Jim Dunlop standard 0.88 mm. I'm also very difficult regarding guitar strings, but mostly because my guitar is downtuned and I need specific strings, so I don't know if I can consider myself a snob on that too !

Back in the time before time, and I was a young rocknrolla - I too favored the Dunlop medium.....

Proof --( providing they haven't changed the formulation of the acetate) light one ablaze and drop it on concrete with the name facing upwards.

The picks burn quick and clean - leaving the embossed "Jim Dunlop" still readable.

Tell me how your testing results..

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
27-07-2017, 05:32 AM
(27-07-2017 05:20 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Back in the time before time, and I was a young rocknrolla - I too favored the Dunlop medium.....

Proof --( providing they haven't changed the formulation of the acetate) light one ablaze and drop it on concrete with the name facing upwards.

The picks burn quick and clean - leaving the embossed "Jim Dunlop" still readable.

Tell me how your testing results..

Big Grin

I'm still using the same Dunlop picks that I bought more than 15 years ago, so I guess the formula must be the same (and they still look exactly the same than the ones I bought 25 years ago). I'd gladly make the test, but I only have 1 pick left from my stock (I lost the only other I had in my apartment the other day, still looking for it), so I'm a bit reluctant to burn it, imagine, they changed the formula and I burnt my last one, I prefer not to think about it ! I'll try when I buy some new ones Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Sturm's post
27-07-2017, 06:34 AM
(27-07-2017 04:34 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Unless it is water, please avoid drinking inorganic substances.

Heh. So no carbonation, and nothing with salt? Okay, maybe not - especially in coffee. Sadcryface
But I also like my coffee without the inorganic pesticide residue. Drinking Beverage

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 1 user Likes Rockblossom's post
27-07-2017, 06:55 AM
I'm a lot less snobbish than I was when I was younger maturity does that I think, I was also as a youngster subjected to reverse snobbery and bullied a lot because I had a posh accent which was kind of ironic.
27-07-2017, 07:45 AM
Definitely a food snob (growing up, I didn't know what "from scratch" meant because I had NEVER eaten anything that wasn't "from scratch"). Ditto for coffee.
And I'm probably a spelling-and-grammar snob (but that's an occupational hazard), just shy of grammar-Nazi status.

Overall, I'm probably a lack-of-curiosity-or-intelligence snob: the worse insult I can imagine is to disparage someone's thinking skills by calling them "stupid".

Morally, I know it's wrong to feel contempt for stupid people, but I do.

(Please note that I don't feel contempt for those who never had the benefit of a good education (due to circumstances beyond their control) or those with intellectual disabilities; on the contrary, I feel genuine empathy for those people)

What I can't stand are those who have had every opportunity to improve their thinking skills and have chosen not to do so (Current U.S. president is Exhibit A).
CAN'T. STAND. STUPID. TRUST. FUND. BABIES.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 4 users Like Reducetarian's post
27-07-2017, 08:44 AM
(26-07-2017 04:56 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(26-07-2017 04:39 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Snobbery I think is in eye of the beholder.

Not necessarily - you should meet my cousin and get him talking about alcohol Rolleyes

There is a funny quote by an important (to us, obviously ;-)) Bulgarian book where the main character is kinda the quintessence of what I "lovingly" call the "Balkan type", where he tells someone, mocking him for his more sophisticated taste in music: "Yeah, 'cause you grandmother used to listen to opera all the time". I paraphrase this with my cousin, substituting "listen" and "opera" with "drink" and "insert name of ridiculously over-priced booze".

Also, my most-hated authoresses of them all is always throwing brand names at her (vapid, horny, pathetic) readers, like the men only drink Lagavulin and wear Manolo Blahnik, while the women (who are basically receptacles for the glorious appendages of the big strong manly vampires) only wear Louboutin (which is how I even learnt who this bozo was. Was not impressed)

Hmm, where was I again, might have started foaming slightly at the mouth at the thought of that vile excuse for a woman [Image: default_rant.gif]

So maybe it is combination of two? One can be genuine snob who describe himself as it and other could be called such by people who want to insult him.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
27-07-2017, 09:00 AM
(27-07-2017 08:44 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  So maybe it is combination of two? One can be genuine snob who describe himself as it and other could be called such by people who want to insult him.

Definitely. Someone can genuinely be a snob, a pretentious twit, what have you, and people may use it as in insult, even when not merited (I mean, I was once called an intellectual snob because I happened to like a radio programme on mediaeval and renaissance music Facepalm )

I would just like to mention, in general, not aimed at anyone in particular, that just preferring something over something else does not a snob make.

Also, I'm with you guys on lack of curiosity. For the life of me, I can't understand how people can *not* be interested in EVERYTHING there is to know; or those who seem to only care about the mundanities of life (esp. of their tiny lives and selves), instead of learning and reading and talking about everything under the suns. All of the suns Rolleyes

Oh, but this reminds me...

[Image: quote-my-soul-is-impatient-with-itself-a...-24-08.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
27-07-2017, 09:16 AM
(27-07-2017 09:00 AM)Vera Wrote:  Definitely. Someone can genuinely be a snob, a pretentious twit, what have you, and people may use it as in insult, even when not merited (I mean, I was once called an intellectual snob because I happened to like a radio programme on mediaeval and renaissance music Facepalm )

Agreed.

As for being called snob, it never happened to me. Probably cause plebeians surrounding me think that dictionary is some exotic disease and they prefer sticking to simpler insults Wink

Quote:Also, I'm with you guys on lack of curiosity. For the life of me, I can't understand how people can *not* be interested in EVERYTHING there is to know;

I'm not interested in chemistry for example so I can understand why some aren't understand in other things. It's general lack of curiosity that baffles me.

Quote:or those who seem to only care about the mundanities of life (esp. of their tiny lives and selves), instead of learning and reading and talking about everything under the suns. All of the suns Rolleyes

I think that not liking to read is kinda strange, but to each his own. However I just love to hear when people who didn't read book other than telephone one ask me how I keep sadness at bay when all I do is read. Or how I'm capable of enjoying life when my entertainment is reading.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
27-07-2017, 09:28 AM
Hehe, I might have exaggerated about "everything" (I have ZERO interest in anything related to finances, like, my brain literally switches off after the first five seconds). But a curiosity about the world, a desire to know, in general...

I grew up in a house where at one point there really wasn't any room left for more books, so for me reading was as much part of everyday life as eating. On the other hand, I do not agree that reading, no matter what, is better than not reading at all. Cf. my rant above about my authoress. Some books literally make you dumber Dodgy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post