Are you a snob?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2017, 09:37 AM
RE: Are you a snob?
Idk. I guess I'm a bit of a PC snob when it comes to gaming- I think PC's are better than consoles in general for gaming. But I don't think console gamers are any less gamers than I am. Plus I also own consoles, and I play on both types of systems so I guess that doesn't entirely count...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2017, 09:37 AM
(27-07-2017 09:28 AM)Vera Wrote:  Hehe, I might have exaggerated about "everything" (I have ZERO interest in anything related to finances, like, my brain literally switches off after the first five seconds). But a curiosity about the world, a desire to know, in general...

I grew up in a house where at one point there really wasn't any room left for more books, so for me reading was as much part of everyday life as eating.

My parents library was quite extensive so I could say the same. I just wonder why my brother don't like reading.

Quote:On the other hand, I do not agree that reading, no matter what, is better than not reading at all. Cf. my rant above about my authoress. Some books literally make you dumber Dodgy

I agree. Some people would do world a favor by reading less: think of Lenin and Das Kapital.

To be more serious, sure, reading tripe may not be best idea if one is stupid enough to think that said tripe reflects life accurately.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
27-07-2017, 09:43 AM
(27-07-2017 09:28 AM)Vera Wrote:  Some books literally make you dumber Dodgy

Says the lady whose job it is to translate them. Me thinks she knows of what she speaks.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 3 users Like whateverist's post
27-07-2017, 10:05 AM
(27-07-2017 09:00 AM)Vera Wrote:  Also, I'm with you guys on lack of curiosity. For the life of me, I can't understand how people can *not* be interested in EVERYTHING there is to know; or those who seem to only care about the mundanities of life (esp. of their tiny lives and selves), instead of learning and reading and talking about everything under the suns. All of the suns Rolleyes

Yes on the "everything is interesting" thing. Though, maybe not literally everything. I really have no interest in baseball statistics, fashion trends, gossip columns, or the details of anyone else's personal life. I skip over anything that contains "Kardashian", "Bieber" , "Coulter", "Paltrow" (sorry 'bout that, fans), or "Hilton" in the first sentence. But I nerded out when I discovered that the Amazon channel on the Roku has a sub-channel for The Great Courses. I think I currently have more than 2 dozen of the courses in my "to watch" queue. I can't be bothered with summer shows right now 'cause I''m learning astrophysics, how to pronounce Greek, and tracing the history of the King Arthur legend. Nerd heaven. Yes

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
27-07-2017, 10:46 AM
(27-07-2017 02:26 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(26-07-2017 11:46 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  lol, I've written in four, five, six, and nine.

Oddly enough, my best songs are in four, though I desperately want to like the ones in five and nine.

Wrote a section in 7/8 that later goes over to 4/4 over 7/8. Now the trouble is to get the band understand how to play along to a polyrhythm, even if it's as basic as it gets.

Well, that is a lot of counting, and past twenty, too ... they might need to take off their shoes and still don't have enough digits.
27-07-2017, 10:48 AM
(27-07-2017 10:05 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  But I nerded out when I discovered that the Amazon channel on the Roku has a sub-channel for The Great Courses. I think I currently have more than 2 dozen of the courses in my "to watch" queue.

Yeah, the Great Courses served me well during 18 years of one-hour-each-way commutes when I was working. (Unfortunately I couldn't move closer to work because my wife and I moved nextdoor to my mother-in-law to take care of her when she was in her mid-70s, and of course she lived until she was 96.)
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
27-07-2017, 11:51 AM
(27-07-2017 09:28 AM)Vera Wrote:  I grew up in a house where at one point there really wasn't any room left for more books, ...

This is a pretty good description of my apartment, and yet I keep buying more books -- I have about a dozen of them on order at the moment.

If I had to give up all my hobbies but one, reading would be the one I'd keep.

Coincidentally, I don't have a TV antenna or a cable hookup, so my ancient TV is only good for watching the occasional DVD -- and I don't miss standard TV programming at all. So I guess that makes me a TV snob.

Laugh out load
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
27-07-2017, 11:57 AM
(27-07-2017 10:48 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(27-07-2017 10:05 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  But I nerded out when I discovered that the Amazon channel on the Roku has a sub-channel for The Great Courses. I think I currently have more than 2 dozen of the courses in my "to watch" queue.

Yeah, the Great Courses served me well during 18 years of one-hour-each-way commutes when I was working. (Unfortunately I couldn't move closer to work because my wife and I moved nextdoor to my mother-in-law to take care of her when she was in her mid-70s, and of course she lived until she was 96.)

I am also a fan of the "Great Courses". I must have dozens of them, and I have watched or listened to a good percentage of those.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
27-07-2017, 12:11 PM
Figure of speech, guys, figure of speech. Let's say, everything about Earth and the universe and most things about humans Rolleyes

(27-07-2017 09:43 AM)whateverist Wrote:  Says the lady whose job it is to translate them. Me thinks she knows of what she speaks.

Oh, that she didn't Weeping

Consider yourselves damn lucky I ain't posting excerpts from "my" books this time, like I did before. Suffice it to say, the fact that I have *not* snapped and gone on a murdering spree (the first act of violence, committed by a fundamentalist-translator) is deserving of sainthood. At least! [Image: default_default_angel12.gif]

(27-07-2017 11:51 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  If I had to give up all my hobbies but one, reading would be the one I'd keep.

I think it would be music for me... but I would be really hard pressed. Also, if I had to decide between fiction and (layman) science stuff - that'd be hard as hell too.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
27-07-2017, 12:22 PM
(27-07-2017 12:11 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(27-07-2017 11:51 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  If I had to give up all my hobbies but one, reading would be the one I'd keep.

I think it would be music for me... but I would be really hard pressed. Also, if I had to decide between fiction and (layman) science stuff - that'd be hard as hell too.

That would be a tough choice for me, too. I have way more CDs than books. And probably 90% of the music on my CDs is never heard on the radio, so I would never have a chance to hear it at all if I didn't have the CDs. So giving those up would be a hardship. Still, I think I would keep my books if it came down to that.