Are you a snob?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2016, 10:56 AM
RE: Are you a snob?
I am so far from being a food snob. Food just really isn't that important to me other than it's ability to keep me upright. There's one exception...I do not want to eat margarine or other slimy things that people try to pass off as butter. I buy and eat real butter. No matter how much I have to watch my budget...butter is never negotiable.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
05-09-2016, 10:57 AM
(05-09-2016 10:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(05-09-2016 10:48 AM)Aliza Wrote:  You do! You're a certified, grade A music snob connoisseur. I know I can rely on you to provide me with the best stuff if I'm in a listening sort of mood.

Good point.

Where does the connoisseur end and the snob begin?

I think I am more a connoisseur than a snob, since I don't look down on anyone who has different likes.

No, I'm not a connoisseur.....I'm a snob. I'm calling myself for what I am. To thine own self be true. I'm a snob.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
05-09-2016, 10:58 AM
(05-09-2016 10:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(05-09-2016 10:48 AM)Aliza Wrote:  You do! You're a certified, grade A music snob connoisseur. I know I can rely on you to provide me with the best stuff if I'm in a listening sort of mood.

Good point.

Where does the connoisseur end and the snob begin?

I think I am more a connoisseur than a snob, since I don't look down on anyone who has different likes.

I think the line is drawn right there. When you enjoy something fine for your own benefit and don't worry about others, then you're a connoisseur. Otherwise, you're a snob.

... unless you're commenting about people going to the grocery store in pajamas. That's just inappropriate and slobby behavior that doesn't belong in public.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
05-09-2016, 11:01 AM
(05-09-2016 10:56 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I am so far from being a food snob. Food just really isn't that important to me other than it's ability to keep me upright. There's one exception...I do not want to eat margarine or other slimy things that people try to pass off as butter. I buy and eat real butter. No matter how much I have to watch my budget...butter is never negotiable.

You and I have discussed this before. If I could just take a pill for sustenance I'd do it. I don't even eat real butter. The only thing I think I'd miss if I took pills instead of eating food would be chocolate. I do love chocolate. But I'm not a chocolate snob either. Most any chocolate will do.

Fabric and clothing....that's my snobby thing.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
05-09-2016, 11:06 AM
(05-09-2016 11:01 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(05-09-2016 10:56 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I am so far from being a food snob. Food just really isn't that important to me other than it's ability to keep me upright. There's one exception...I do not want to eat margarine or other slimy things that people try to pass off as butter. I buy and eat real butter. No matter how much I have to watch my budget...butter is never negotiable.

You and I have discussed this before. If I could just take a pill for sustenance I'd do it. I don't even eat real butter. The only thing I think I'd miss if I took pills instead of eating food would be chocolate. I do love chocolate. But I'm not a chocolate snob either. Most any chocolate will do.

Fabric and clothing....that's my snobby thing.

Jetson food pills and chocolate for dessert, and snacks, and just because. Drooling

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
05-09-2016, 11:39 AM
Fruits and vegetables.

I can't agree enough with Dom about fruit. Fresh from the berry patch and straight down the gullet is best. Pies, jams and similar are acceptable where you don't need the berries to remain whole. High-bush "blueberries" are an abomination.

Tomatoes, cucumbers, broccolini, and squash are all coming along nicely in the garden. I started my own heirloom variety tomatoes from seed so I'll have god damned tomato-flavoured tomatoes.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
05-09-2016, 11:42 AM
(05-09-2016 09:11 AM)cactus Wrote:  I'm a snob for pseudoscience bullshit. When I hear someone say something like "I'm going on a toxin cleansing diet," it's all I can do not to yell at them. Laugh out load

Amen to that! You should see my just-posted response in the support thread, to a post by a guy who's being swayed by the woo of his girlfriend's circle of pseudoscience-peddlers.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...nvinction/

I think I managed to be nice about it. I hope he reads it that way, anyway... but pseudoscience really gets my goat in a way that makes it hard to reply calmly!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
05-09-2016, 11:51 AM
(05-09-2016 09:08 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(05-09-2016 07:38 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  I s'pose I am a snob in many ways, if that means I have little time for pretentious fools. Bit too much like looking in the mirror and seeing all the things you dislike about yourself?

TV snob (when I had one), book snob, film snob, clothes snob, restaurant snob . . .

Damn, I'm a snob snob!

Hooooo boy, did I used to be a snob! But now I actively try not to be a snob... why just the other night I ate at an Olive Garden. Yes

Laugh out load ...and lived to talk about it! J/K, I don't deem Olive Garden to be bad, but I haven't eaten at one in years. There isn't one in our little burg, I think.

I love getting fresh vegetables locally grown at our farmer's market. Organically grown (not hard over for that, though). We've bought so much stuff at CostCo that just doesn't survive the trip from South or Central America. We can get fresh strawberries nearly year-round here, too.

Snob items- I try like hell to never eat at McDonalds, Burger King, etc. That kind of food just isn't right.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
05-09-2016, 11:57 AM
Not really.
05-09-2016, 12:02 PM
I guess I'm a snob about 4 things.

First, music...to me, if there is no screaming guitar solo in it somewhere, it is not music.

Second, firearms in books and movies. When the protagonist (or whoever) "takes off the safety" of his Glock, or picks up the expended rounds (two) he fired from his Colt Python, I want to shoot somebody.

Three, aviation in movies. Good grief...they do the most ridiculous things with airplanes and helicopters and VTOL aircraft. I want to ingest them into a turbine engine.

Four, grammar, syntax, and spelling in posts and emails. I have no problem with the occasional typo, or intentionally using words or formats in a non-standard way to elicit a response- call it poetic license- but just being sloppy or lazy or uneducated drives me nuts, as does overuse of "shortcuts", all of those words needlessly shortened or modified for convenience or coolness. Ugh.
[+] 2 users Like The Dark One's post