Are you a snob?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2016, 12:11 PM
RE: Are you a snob?
I'm not a snob, I'm extra-fancy.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
05-09-2016, 12:12 PM
(05-09-2016 12:02 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I guess I'm a snob about 4 things.

Four, grammar, syntax, and spelling in posts and emails. I have no problem with the occasional typo, or intentionally using words or formats in a non-standard way to elicit a response- call it poetic license- but just being sloppy or lazy or uneducated drives me nuts, as does overuse of "shortcuts", all of those words needlessly shortened or modified for convenience or coolness. Ugh.

LOL, WUT?

Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
05-09-2016, 12:17 PM
I'm a bit of a language snob, I tend to correct the pronunciation of words. I do it even when I'm alone and someone on TV says something wrong I'll correct them even though they can't hear me and I'll keep doing it every single time they say it wrong. In real life I'll do the same thing and if the person asks "Why do you keep doing that?" I'll say "Just say it right."

My sister loved to call salmon "Sall-man" even though the "l" is silent and it used to piss me off so badly because it's actually my favorite food and I'd order it all the time if we went out so she'd be like "How was the Sall-man?" and I'm like "Say it right!" The funny thing is she was the same way, she hates people mis-pronouncing words but she did it all the time, on purpose. Angry

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
05-09-2016, 12:26 PM
Four, grammar, syntax, and spelling in posts and emails. I have no problem with the occasional typo, or intentionally using words or formats in a non-standard way to elicit a response- call it poetic license- but just being sloppy or lazy or uneducated drives me nuts, as does overuse of "shortcuts", all of those words needlessly shortened or modified for convenience or coolness. Ugh.

"I am devastate ..." (dropped "d")
"This quote ..." instead of quotation, also, "invite" for "invitation".

Yes, (there are) lots more I could find.

(The) Trouble is it can be far too easy to use them in this sort of environment. I worry that the habit will slip into more formal use for me. It is already doing so on the broadcast media, even the BBC!

Language usage has to change, but does it have to be mine?

/pedant

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
05-09-2016, 12:27 PM
(05-09-2016 12:12 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

LOL, WUT?

Tongue

Tongue yourself! Big Grin Now, I am guilty of run-on sentences. My wife says the longer my sentences are the more passionate I'm feeling about the subject matter. See? Size DOES matter. Thumbsup
[+] 3 users Like The Dark One's post
05-09-2016, 12:32 PM
Quote:(The) Trouble is it can be far too easy to use them in this sort of environment. I worry that the habit will slip into more formal use for me. It is already doing so on the broadcast media, even the BBC!

Language usage has to change, but does it have to be mine?

Oh yeah- I see myself doing things I wouldn't have even considered when I write formal correspondence now. It's amazing what is becoming acceptable. If I time warped back to my college English or Creative Writing courses with anything I write today, the prof would beat me about the head and shoulders quite vigorously.

Anyone who doesn't believe in evolution should study language. That'll learn 'em.
05-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Snob? About teas I guess. I constantly search for one that will be good enough to warrant buying second pack. Currently it is red tea submerged in milk.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
05-09-2016, 02:51 PM
Music snob.

I hate butt rock and swag rap. Someone had the nerve to call disturbed hardcore metal. Fucking gross.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
05-09-2016, 02:52 PM
I prefer to think of it as 'discerning' while most of the hoi polloi are just unsophisticated.

Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
05-09-2016, 04:06 PM
(05-09-2016 11:57 AM)Lucipurr Wrote:  Not really.

Hrrmph

[Image: wine-snob-cartoon.jpg]

Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post