Are you a victim of push-button phrases?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2011, 02:20 AM
RE: Are you a victim of push-button phrases?
(14-09-2011 11:25 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  Oh, the settlements are lovely - bucolic orange groves with red-cheeked sabras working and loving... You hardly ever hear that they're illegal and surrounded by tanks.

I wonder how Swedish tv reported on that Turkish relief ship the Israeli commandos attacked and abducted in international water. Canadian public television kept showing the video with Israeli propaganda graffiti all over it - even on a split screen while interviewing - quite aggressively - one of the passengers. I was mortified! That's probably the moment i began to understand just where the current trend in governance is going; how bad it will get before the final collapse.

The settlements are still referred to as illegal most of the time when they are mentioned in the news here, the barrier that was built on Palestinian land however are nowadays referred to simply as a wall, or sometimes even a protective wall...

When the first convoy from ship to Gaza was attacked by Israel it was the main story of all news programs for a while and since Israel attacked on international waters the news was mostly on the activists side. They did report on activists on the boat being shot in the back of the head at point blank range, and how the Israeli made sure that no videos or recordings of the attack except their own would be released (even though there was a Norwegian reporter who managed to smuggle out a tape of the attack, I think it's on ship to Gazas homepage).

Of course they also reported that some people on the boat didn't practice non-violence and that they attacked the Israeli commandos boarding the ship, but it was mostly mentioned in a non-judgemental way, they were attacked in international waters after all...

I guess it helped that there were some more or less prominent Swedish people on board the ships as well, a world famous author, Henning Mankell was there, at least one politican and some people that are big in academia.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks MAD. Interesting and somewhat hopeful. I didn't mean to get off on the Israeli side-track - that gets a lot of controversy already, and i don't usually participate. It's the media handling of it i find more shameful than our government's position: That this government is a bunch of amoral conservative fatheads that follows money and power anywhere, on every issue, is a given. That our public media have been totally cowed and suborned is still somewhat new to me, and raw.

runaway favorite
blank check
well known fact
entitlement

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
19-09-2011, 05:30 AM
No worries. As a Swede the Israeli occupation is shown in the news from time to time and I'm quite used to discussing it. Not so much in Sweden as on the Internet though, it seems that here we get more or less objective facts in our news but the people I talk to on the Internet seems to know only one side and then they seem to think that there's only savages on the other (no matter which side they route for).

I do usually prefer to stay out of these discussions as well since there are so many emotions involved and it is hard to have a normal discussion without someone starting to shout or start using "but they did this horrible thing" and so on... can't really have a constructive dialogue on those premises Dodgy
08-11-2011, 05:59 AM

My all-time favourite push-button phrase is “conspiracy-theorist”.

It is usually delivered with a sneer.

The implication is that the person this phrase is applied to is crazy.

Total bypass of rational thought is triggered, the implication is presented as self-evident, anyone questioning would be labeled, automatically, just as crazy.

I really hate this one.

Conspiracies happen regularly, on any level of human life, from government down to business, and even personal lives. The examples are countless: we all have heard of the Nixon tapes, the Ellsberg documents, the “Canned Goods” project of the Nazis, the Reichstag fire, the “Incubator lies” of the first Gulf war and on and on and on.

It would be the task of investigative journalists to uncover these conspiracies, but investigative journalism is all but dead in the era when mainstream media is owned by a few individuals who want to deceive and brainwash the public to divert attention about their practices.

I hate this sneer so much that I proudly call myself a “Conspiracy Theorist” and any of my friends who have the courage to question the official, mainstream media lines on current events.

This is my new battle cry:

“Conspracy Theorists of the world unite! – You have nothing to lose but your sneering ‘friends’”
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2011, 04:31 PM
(24-08-2011 07:38 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  Critical thinking is all but dead.
This cat says he's old. I just got a laugh, and a surprise. This cat's old like I'm old. Wink

Victimology is fractal, in that when I am "hanging with a crew I identify with" - I tend to make the same mistakes. A couple of terms I know ain't a mistake.

Truth
Honour
Love
Atheist.

There's 4. Alla words - Words of God. This minion of YHWH don't limit shit but his own morality - that's zero-state. Tongue

(29-08-2011 11:15 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  Here are a few more of my favourites (I just love to hate them):

ground zero
changed forever
moral credibility
sanctity of life
enhanced interrogation
support the troops
free world
Russian Bear
American Eagle
godless communists
american values
invisible hand of the marketplace
welfare mom
free enterprise
hearts and minds
Fucking Zat- I'm too young to be understood as a "wise man," so I'll borrow you for a minute. What's the problem with these words?

They're ratios. Them ain't numbers. Like when a theist tells me about "greater good," and I go... and Who is Good, again... and as he scrambles for some theology, I go - never mind. The word you're looking for is triage. Cool

Life is Good, as an atheist.

(17-09-2011 08:49 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  Thanks MAD. Interesting and somewhat hopeful. I didn't mean to get off on the Israeli side-track - that gets a lot of controversy already, and i don't usually participate. It's the media handling of it i find more shameful than our government's position: That this government is a bunch of amoral conservative fatheads that follows money and power anywhere, on every issue, is a given. That our public media have been totally cowed and suborned is still somewhat new to me, and raw.

runaway favorite
blank check
well known fact
entitlement
This mofo gotta number:

entitlement. That be a bitch here in America. As Americans - we are "entitled" to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. There you go. Just don't get caught.

American jurisprudence, in a sentence. Nobody got "right" to nothing 'cause we all half left. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2011, 09:47 AM
money talks
public good
democratic process
habeas corpus
limited lifetime warranty

09-11-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm thinking Zat's longing for the good old days. Here's a couple from your youth that still work...

caveat emptor
cui bono

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2011, 05:03 PM
the conversation
going forward
gave his life