Are you afraid of losing your atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2012, 12:21 AM
I have to say I am.
It would be like returning to a dark mental prison.
It would mean to live afraid of doing something wrong and spend an eternity in hell.
Maybe I'd live terrified thinking that I laughed at Jesus, god, holly spirit, etc.
It would mean I have a weak mind.
it would mean I could have something wrong in my head.

Have you considered that possibility? How do you feel about it?

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes KVron's post
20-08-2012, 12:40 AM
I'm not sure if lifelong atheists would get it, but I can relate to what you're saying. Christianity is such a mindfuck that it predicted there would be people who will fall away from "The Truth" and gave multiple warnings to watch out for such apostates. But the more grounded in reality I've become, the more I think about the way our minds delude us to believe things that are not real. The scientific knowledge we have of the universe needs no supernatural answers to explain things. Then I do three hail Mary's and I feel just fine! Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like Erxomai's post
20-08-2012, 12:48 AM
RE: Are you afraid of losing your atheism?
First off - KVron - Love the DISCLAIMER

Atheism is only lost at the point of death, because that is when you stop thinking.
And now that I think about it, it's beginning to make sense why they worship a Zombie.
When you try your best to imitate a dead mind, you become a Christian.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
20-08-2012, 01:24 AM
I don't think I'll ever go back. Why?

My theological beliefs destroy my ability to be religious.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
20-08-2012, 02:17 AM
Would it not depend on what replaced it?

We live in a harsh fearful world. Doesn't a five-star prison with it's own golf course and brothel, where each cell has an indoor swimming pool and the recreational drugs of your choice were in abundance sound ok to you?
No more chores to do, no more bills to pay?
You can do as you like as long as you do as you're told.

Tempted?

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
20-08-2012, 02:31 AM
I am willing to lose anything and everything of the way I view the world if it brings me closer to the truth.

I feel my choice of no religion is heavily supported by reality. If you feel "afraid" of losing your Atheism I would ask what evidence you base your beliefs on. Odds are it may be flimsy.
20-08-2012, 02:47 AM
Having been an atheist my whole life, I can't really understand how this would happen. I'm sure people who were once religious would have a better idea about this than me, but I'm not afraid of "losing my atheism" because I can't see that happening... unless I hit my head in an accident and become a lil' retarded. Big Grin

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
20-08-2012, 03:40 AM
It would take a miracle Wink

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 5 users Like bemore's post
20-08-2012, 05:17 AM
(20-08-2012 12:40 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm not sure if lifelong atheists would get it, but I can relate to what you're saying.

Yeah. I read the question and just couldn't imagine slipping into theism this late in life, when I've never been there in the first place.

The thing is, though, some of the atheists in this forum will stop being atheists later in life. How can I be so sure? Because it happens. The likelihood of a 100% continuation of all involved is low. As we get older, changes in our life make us see things differently. When we get very old, the proximity of the final years puts an emphasis on the hope that some how, in some way, things will continue for us.

Also, people enter atheism for different reasons. Some through logic. Some through rebellion. The rebellious ones are more likely to slide back into theism at some point in their life. Or they might not.

(20-08-2012 02:17 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Would it not depend on what replaced it?

We live in a harsh fearful world. Doesn't a five-star prison with it's own golf course and brothel, where each cell has an indoor swimming pool and the recreational drugs of your choice were in abundance sound ok to you?
No more chores to do, no more bills to pay?
You can do as you like as long as you do as you're told.

Tempted?

No. That sounds a bit like moving back in with your parents. Undecided

Anyone who doesn't find that idea too hideous? Self-determination is a powerful thing amongst adults.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-08-2012, 05:23 AM
(20-08-2012 05:17 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  No. That sounds a bit like moving back in with your parents. Undecided

You used to live with my parents?!?!? Shocking

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post