Are you afraid of losing your atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2012, 05:26 AM
RE: Are you afraid of losing your atheism?
(20-08-2012 05:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 05:17 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  No. That sounds a bit like moving back in with your parents. Undecided

You used to live with my parents?!?!? Shocking

Only when your dad wasn't around.

Sorry. Sometimes, even the most obvious of jokes can still be amusing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Red Celt's post
20-08-2012, 05:39 AM
No.
The only way I would believe in gods would be with sufficient evidence.
If there is sufficient evidence, then I would accept that reality.

Fear doesn't enter into it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
20-08-2012, 05:41 AM
(20-08-2012 02:17 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Would it not depend on what replaced it?

We live in a harsh fearful world. Doesn't a five-star prison with it's own golf course and brothel, where each cell has an indoor swimming pool and the recreational drugs of your choice were in abundance sound ok to you?
No more chores to do, no more bills to pay?
You can do as you like as long as you do as you're told.

Tempted?

Are you promising the reality of that or only the promise of that?

Religion offers the empty promise.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-08-2012, 05:45 AM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2012 05:49 AM by Vosur.)
No.

The ability to think rationally and logically are like an anti-virus program for religious malware. Unless I get a severe software damage, I don't see how I could get infected by the trojan theism.exe again.

If there was enough peer-reviewed scientific evidence to prove the existence of god sufficiently, then why would I need to be afraid?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
20-08-2012, 09:32 AM
No and Yes. As others have pointed it, rationality and keen analytical skills will always help me discern reality from make believe. However, one study hinted that brain atrophy can cause people to become "born again" later in life. Anything can cause atrophy, including not getting enough sleep (something that plagues me). Gone would be the wonder I feel for nature, earth, the universe, and all of its mystery. This would be replaced by closed-mindedness and a markedly decreased thirst for knowledge. This last one scares me the most. I love to learn new things, and I hope I continue to have this trait for the rest of my life.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
20-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Are you afraid of losing your atheism?
(20-08-2012 09:32 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  No and Yes. As others have pointed it, rationality and keen analytical skills will always help me discern reality from make believe. However, one study hinted that brain atrophy can cause people to become "born again" later in life. Anything can cause atrophy, including not getting enough sleep (something that plagues me). Gone would be the wonder I feel for nature, earth, the universe, and all of its mystery. This would be replaced by closed-mindedness and a markedly decreased thirst for knowledge. This last one scares me the most. I love to learn new things, and I hope I continue to have this trait for the rest of my life.

Maybe this explains why you do have the occasional reconversion story that is held up in church to rally others to do the same. Although there are also plenty of young people who make that decision. Even our own KC was a self-proclaimed atheist who left the church's then became reconverted in a way that was powerful to him, so besides the Biblical warnings that even the chosen ones can be lead astray, we see examples of others who have gone back. I think fear combined with lack of community can lead someone back to what once felt comfortable and secure.
It does help when you know too much to ever go back. Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
20-08-2012, 09:56 AM
(20-08-2012 05:17 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 02:17 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Would it not depend on what replaced it?

We live in a harsh fearful world. Doesn't a five-star prison with it's own golf course and brothel, where each cell has an indoor swimming pool and the recreational drugs of your choice were in abundance sound ok to you?
No more chores to do, no more bills to pay?
You can do as you like as long as you do as you're told.

Tempted?

No. That sounds a bit like moving back in with your parents. Undecided

Red , you officially have the coolest parents ever. Big Grin
I'm moving in

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
20-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Religion is running naked on the highway thinking that you are dressed in the best clothes, driving a sports car.

Reality would have to break down that much for me to become religious.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 5 users Like Rahn127's post
20-08-2012, 10:27 AM
No, not afraid of falling back.
Like ... maybe I could fall into another cult. But by now I read enough and saw and discussed enough to not fall easily.
But I do understand that one could be afraid of falling back into it.
It would feel horrible. For me... that constant fear of doing or even just thinking something wrong or bad, never getting mad because it is something bad... All these rituals and duties, no thanks. never again, I would feel miserable.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
20-08-2012, 10:48 AM
I still have a really hard time thinking of atheism as a "something". The idea that I could lose it just doesn't fit into my brain. It's sort of like trying to imagine losing my ability to read Arabic, and I don't read Arabic.

I'm 36. There's a few things I've learned in that time that I just can't imagine changing, let alone being afraid of it. Heroin does bad things to people. I've never done it, and I am confident I never will. Jamming a meat thermometer in my ear will cause an unpleasant feeling, and possibly death. I've never shoved a meat thermometer in my ear, and I'm confident I never will. Religion is a steaming pile of horseshit. I've never been religous, and I'm confident I never will be.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 7 users Like Stark Raving's post