Are you afraid of losing your atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2012, 11:35 AM
RE: Are you afraid of losing your atheism?
I can't even imagine that happening.

Pretending to believe is a huge endeavor, I don't think I could pull it off.

Actually believing is impossible. If it doesn't make sense, how can one get over that fact?

I can't imagine having my brain impaired enough to start believing in fairy tales again.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2012, 11:50 AM
(20-08-2012 11:35 AM)Dom Wrote:  Actually believing is impossible. If it doesn't make sense, how can one get over that fact?
Become a calvinist. Laughat

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
20-08-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm not. I'm pretty secure in my lack of faith, I'd like to say that if my parents die - the crippled and the one with scoliosis, I'd stay an atheist. But I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
20-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Nah - no fear. I've dropped acid, and I'm very aware of the powerful extent of my own imagination. I'm pretty sure no one else would be able to survive inside my head.

It's not as if I haven't imagined what it would feel like to have a faith of some sort. I've read numerous accounts of peoples' spiritual experiences and they seem to be having a pretty good time. That "all-loving" or "all consuming love" aspect does not make me envious in any way, because I already feel that in so many ways.

I think it is the Theist who is simply misinterpreting, and overreacting to, the simple natural phenomena of the imagination. I've always thought this and I don't know what it would be like to think another way.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
20-08-2012, 01:30 PM
I have no fear of losing my atheism per se. I think about the only thing that could cause me to lose my atheism at this point is if a real god actually stood before me in a way where the truth of his/her/its existence was undeniable. Now if that happened, I might suddenly have some fear... Blink But, since there is no god, I'm not worried. Smile

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
20-08-2012, 01:36 PM
If brain damage could cause me to become a believer, then yes, because I fear brain damage.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
20-08-2012, 03:11 PM
And you laugh at Christians in forums doing the same thing Consider

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
20-08-2012, 03:13 PM
(20-08-2012 03:11 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  And you laugh at Christians in forums doing the same thing Consider
What are you talking about? Huh

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
20-08-2012, 03:30 PM
(20-08-2012 03:13 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 03:11 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  And you laugh at Christians in forums doing the same thing Consider
What are you talking about? Huh

"It would mean I have a weak mind."

" Christianity is such a mindf**k"

"When you try your best to imitate a dead mind, you become a Christian."

Instead of "reality vs fairytale", it's more like "Brain damage and Mental Illness vs Healthy and Normal Intelligence"

Just saying, to me it looks a lot like the stuff you find funny about religious forums when talking about Atheism.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong Confused

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
20-08-2012, 03:47 PM
(20-08-2012 03:30 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 03:13 PM)Vosur Wrote:  What are you talking about? Huh

"It would mean I have a weak mind."

" Christianity is such a mindf**k"

"When you try your best to imitate a dead mind, you become a Christian."

Instead of "reality vs fairytale", it's more like "Brain damage and Mental Illness vs Healthy and Normal Intelligence"

Just saying, to me it looks a lot like the stuff you find funny about religious forums when talking about Atheism.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong Confused

No, you're right. Essentially it's about fear. Theists fear an existence without a god. Non-Theists, especially those who have come from a Theist existence might fear returning to that kind of mindset. Once free, a creature might fear returning to a cage.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post