Are you afraid of losing your atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2012, 06:29 PM
RE: Are you afraid of losing your atheism?
(20-08-2012 06:21 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 05:11 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Am I afraid of not thinking critically? Yes. Do I think it is a possibility? A little one.

[Image: 5062013_700b.jpg]

Since religions encourage people to not to think for yourself, you will have a very hard time "thinking" and criticizing everything except the most important thing to you as a believer.

if your faith can move mountains it should be able to withstand criticism
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SomeOne's post
20-08-2012, 06:52 PM
(20-08-2012 06:27 PM)elemts Wrote:  Am I afraid I would lose atheism? No. I wouldn't.

Am I afraid the body and brain that people consider "me" would be damaged through disease/damage/etc causing me to no longer be me and then go to religion? Yes.... but then I'm more worried about the disease/damage/etc thing than not.... in part because two diseases do run in my family that can do that, and I've been diagnosed with something that could lead to that and worse when I get older.

I said the same thing, more tersely.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
20-08-2012, 06:54 PM
(20-08-2012 06:27 PM)elemts Wrote:  Am I afraid I would lose atheism? No. I wouldn't.

Am I afraid the body and brain that people consider "me" would be damaged through disease/damage/etc causing me to no longer be me and then go to religion? Yes.... but then I'm more worried about the disease/damage/etc thing than not.... in part because two diseases do run in my family that can do that, and I've been diagnosed with something that could lead to that and worse when I get older.

Sorry to hear that, dude.
How are you handling it?

20-08-2012, 07:02 PM
(20-08-2012 06:54 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

Sorry to hear that, dude.
How are you handling it?

I'm acting like it doesn't exist.... mainly as it's only potentially a side effect (I shouldn't have done a paper on it during my masters...), and not a definite side effect, cognition could alter just the same as anyone who gets older too, so why worry? Besides, a neurologist is monitoring me yearly, I'm being treated for it... there are baselines established in tests.
20-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Imagine if all the religious people walked as if they were holding an imaginary spoon with an imaginary egg balanced on it.
As an atheist, I walk as I normally do.

You're asking me if I am afraid that one day I'll start walking holding an imaginary spoon with an imaginary egg balanced on it.
You also refer to atheism as something you would lose. It's not something you can lose. My hands are empty.

Religion is always something extra that is added on. I can't lose something I don't have.
I don't have the imaginary spoon & egg.

If this should one day become a religion in 5000 yrs, I am not to blame.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
20-08-2012, 11:31 PM
(20-08-2012 12:40 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm not sure if lifelong atheists would get it, but I can relate to what you're saying. Christianity is such a mindfuck that it predicted there would be people who will fall away from "The Truth" and gave multiple warnings to watch out for such apostates. But the more grounded in reality I've become, the more I think about the way our minds delude us to believe things that are not real. The scientific knowledge we have of the universe needs no supernatural answers to explain things. Then I do three hail Mary's and I feel just fine! Thumbsup

Right now I'm more afraid of "losing my atheism" not because of all the punishment I've been told I will suffer (I don't believe that at all anymore).

I'm more afraid because it would mean that my rational thinking failed or that I have a weak mind. In fact, I've been told I have a weak mind for not believing in god Huh

And now that you mention it, I wonder if lifelong atheists have ever considered that at some point they could become believers or "spiritual people", etc... just like believers could become atheists.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
20-08-2012, 11:46 PM
(20-08-2012 03:30 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 03:13 PM)Vosur Wrote:  What are you talking about? Huh

"It would mean I have a weak mind."

" Christianity is such a mindf**k"

"When you try your best to imitate a dead mind, you become a Christian."

Instead of "reality vs fairytale", it's more like "Brain damage and Mental Illness vs Healthy and Normal Intelligence"

Just saying, to me it looks a lot like the stuff you find funny about religious forums when talking about Atheism.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong Confused

"It would mean I have a weak mind."

I said that because when I was a believer, sometimes I said things like "that's in god's hands" or "it's god's will", etc.

Now for me, that means to be weak minded, in this context. It was very easy and veri comfortable not to take responsibilities (or take less) because if something goes wrong... well... it was in god's hands.

The worst thing is other believers support you!!
- Oh, doesn't work? Don't worry, just leave it in god's hands.

And that, for me, it's to be mindf**kd.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
[+] 1 user Likes KVron's post
21-08-2012, 05:24 AM
There was a time when I felt horrible after deconverting.

I felt that way because in this odd interim I was still dealing with the superstition and dealing with the guilt from my parents. "Well what if there is a hell? OH man what if I was wrong." and had this weird period of time where I could easily say, "I just don't believe this crap." but still superstition would pop up now and then and kick me in the nuts and walk away.

It's an odd feeling.

It's easy to feel this way if you were a previous theist because your WHOLE LIFE you've likely been spoon fed a lot of shit, a lot of superstition and a lot of things which don't make any rational sense. Even if you can think clearly and rationalize something, you might run across something and go "I couldn't explain that, oh man what if i was wrong."

Then there was the guilt from my family.... "How could you do this to your family" and the "this isn't how your family raised you" bullshit.

There's a lot of reasons that superstition pops up. It isn't that you have a weak mind. It isn't that you have a weak will. What it really comes down to is dealing with the balance between rational and logical, and superstitious and mysterious. It's in our nature to assume things or to explain things or to apply a mechanism to things.

For instance... I don't think there's a single possibility for me to be religious ever again. I don't believe in demons, ghosts, god, devils, etc.

Put me in front of a good werewolf movie though at 2am and leave me in the house by myself and of course images of crazy werewolves pop up in my head and as soon as I hear a noise... "OMG WEREWOLF." do I think they exist? Shit no. Does my primitive part of my mind apply some sort of mechanism? YOU BETCHA. Dawkins had an interesting interview with some news thing not long ago. He made a good example of primitive survival instinct vs things in nature. It was something to the effect of how we would react to some rustling grass or weeds. Of course as a rational person you might be curious and in a normal environment not think a thing of it. As a SURVIVAL mechanism, a person might of course immediately react by running away and considering there's a jungle cat in those weeds perhaps looking to maim you. Is it likely? Well it could be a lot of things and you could rationally justify that. But what is your mind's first reaction? "OH SHIT, ANGRY ANIMAL. MOOOOOOOVE!"

Are you weak minded? No. Are you human minded? Yes.

Mechanism reaction. "GUYS! I'm worried if I go with the rational side of things, ALL THOSE BAD THINGS THE SUPERSTITIOUS PEOPLE SAY WILL HAPPEN! I don't want to be punished!" *Insert mental pictures of eternal damnation*

It becomes this crazy confirmation bias, it's easy to do. If there ever was or is a god, and he really gives a damn about whether or not you believe in him out of blind faith, he's a huge asshole and the largest troll to have ever existed.

Scumbag god... let's douchebags go to heaven. Any person who completed amazing accomplishments and saved millions of lives through something like science, tossed in a lake of fire because they didn't believe in him. "Why? I dunno cause' they didn't believe in me? LOL"
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
21-08-2012, 05:30 AM
I may start up with some evangelical Taoism and the deification of a certain blond, but there ain't no fear involved. More because atheism is boring. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-08-2012, 08:06 AM
(20-08-2012 04:51 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Myself, no.
It's really about believing in the truth, and much less about what state my brain is in.

As far as Christian Forums and the similar things they talk about, they do tend to "bash" or "badmouth" Atheists here and there.

Coming here, I've noticed that Atheists are much more reserved and modest about their demeanor No

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]