Are you afraid of losing your atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2012, 04:44 PM
RE: Are you afraid of losing your atheism?
No.
More affraid of loosing my hard on.
No death bed conversion for this asshole.
Hitch is the man...

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2012, 05:53 PM
(21-08-2012 04:44 PM)Thomas Wrote:  No.
More affraid of loosing my hard on.
No death bed conversion for this asshole.
Hitch is the man...

I felt a disturbance in the force. As if, millions of microscopic voices cried out all at once.

Well, I was called.

[Image: Konachan.com+-+119906+2girls+cleavage+he...erwear.jpg]

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
21-08-2012, 07:04 PM
(20-08-2012 04:51 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Myself, no.
It's really about believing in the truth, and much less about what state my brain is in.

As far as Christian Forums and the similar things they talk about, they do tend to "bash" or "badmouth" Atheists here and there.

Coming here, I've noticed that Atheists are much more reserved and modest about their demeanor No

We tend to consume 5% less babies here, so our demeanor is lower.
Truthfully, I think atheists in general don't really want to go out and publicly begin bashing someones heartfelt beliefs, mostly because it's kinda rude. It's why many of us prefer calm rational discussions.

We don't want to be that guy screaming in the mall at your grandmother "GOD DOESN'T EXIST"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
21-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Highly unlikely although I suppose it is remotely possible in the following situations:

1. Acute psychosis
2. Brain damage
3. Advanced dementia +/- 1 or 2
4. Unquestionable, valid, reliable proof in god(s) (still most likely due to 1, 2, or 3).

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
[+] 1 user Likes Debzilla's post
21-08-2012, 07:49 PM
I personally have never ever been on the other side. Been brought up atheist and allways been questioning everything and love science. So it would be impossible. Nothing would change my mind. When there is scientific proof for "God" it is no longer paranormal and therefor part of science and reality. But that seems unlikely. I will ONLY take a leap of faith in small scenarios, not the big questions. That is sinking to the bottom level.

http://soundcloud.com/torsktunga | http://andreas.inghe.se/
21-08-2012, 07:52 PM
(21-08-2012 07:04 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 04:51 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Myself, no.
It's really about believing in the truth, and much less about what state my brain is in.

As far as Christian Forums and the similar things they talk about, they do tend to "bash" or "badmouth" Atheists here and there.

Coming here, I've noticed that Atheists are much more reserved and modest about their demeanor No

We tend to consume 5% less babies here, so our demeanor is lower.
Truthfully, I think atheists in general don't really want to go out and publicly begin bashing someones heartfelt beliefs, mostly because it's kinda rude. It's why many of us prefer calm rational discussions.

We don't want to be that guy screaming in the mall at your grandmother "GOD DOESN'T EXIST"

Sarcasm Recognition: level n00b. Dodgy

And how does one lose a lack? Huh

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
21-08-2012, 08:38 PM
(21-08-2012 07:52 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(21-08-2012 07:04 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  We tend to consume 5% less babies here, so our demeanor is lower.

Sarcasm Recognition: level n00b. Dodgy

And how does one lose a lack? Huh

Awesomeness! Bowing

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
21-08-2012, 10:35 PM
(20-08-2012 05:17 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  The thing is, though, some of the atheists in this forum will stop being atheists later in life. How can I be so sure? Because it happens. The likelihood of a 100% continuation of all involved is low. As we get older, changes in our life make us see things differently. When we get very old, the proximity of the final years puts an emphasis on the hope that some how, in some way, things will continue for us.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my own experience has been the precise opposite of what you've described. I'll be 68 next month. I stopped believing in God when I was 15, and I've only become more confirmed in my atheism the older I've gotten. The more I've seen of the world and the suffering in it, the clearer it's become that there's no loving God* watching over us. We're on our own.

I have no hope whatsoever of what GirlyMan has aptly termed "postmortem preservation of identity." The atoms and molecules that make up my body will continue to exist, but I won't. Sure, I'd love to go on and on. But it ain't gonna happen. And I can live with that reality.

Death saddens me--saddens me because of the people I've lost and will lose, because of the things I still want to do and experience and enjoy that I won't be able to--but it doesn't scare me per se. Any apprehension I have has to do with what will lead up to my death. Right now I'm fortunate enough to be in virtually perfect health, but that can't last. Will I become feeble and infirm and a burden to others? Will I spend my last years in pain? Will I suffer dementia? Those are the things that give me pause. But death itself? Nah. Piece o' cake.

As far as i can tell from this vantage point (and obviously nothing about the future is certain), the only way I'll lose my atheism is if I lose my mind.

*That doesn't rule out an indifferent Deist-type God. But who cares if such a God exists?

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
21-08-2012, 10:41 PM
The only phobia I have is phobophobia.

I am not worried or fearful of "losing" my atheism. If I believed the sadistic YHWH could be real I might change, but that's not bloody likely.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-08-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm not afraid just because if I were to lose my atheism, it would be for a good reason.

[Image: pudalo15fa2.png]

Blog.