Are you an X because you believe in X'? Or do you believe in X' because you are an X?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2014, 10:42 AM
RE: Are you an X because you believe in X'? Or do you believe in X' because you are an X?
(03-04-2014 05:58 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 05:31 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  

I love the French language. I have sampled every language, French is my favourite - fantastic language, especially to curse with. Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculé de ta mère. It's like wiping your arse with silk, I love it. -The Merovingian
I love latin, which french is derived from.
Actually, in "Democracty 3" I have 12 trillion dollars in the french government reserves, and even when the economy goes down to the lowest point, the french still have an income. There is no crime, poverty, discrimination, or enviromental harmings.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
03-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Are you an X because you believe in X'? Or do you believe in X' because you are an X?
(03-04-2014 09:19 AM)wazzel Wrote:  You read alot into not much of a post by me.
And I may be wrong at doing so, for which I duly apologise, if that is the case. But don't forget it is not only our words what is readable, information about us can also be extracted from our actions.

For example, you have given DLJ the standard response you claim to give those who hate the French. From that action, I conclude that you see DLJ's contribution as a manifestation of hatred towards the French (otherwise your response would have presumably been different). All that despite the fact that he simply posited a question. Talk about reading a lot in someone else's posts!

Then you unclearly suggested that you are, to some extent, of French origin. I am not sure if you are about 90% Acadian French, if you consider 90% of the French people Acadian and you view yourself similar to them, if you consider yourself 90% French and you happen to be Acadian, or what. But from your words I'd be surprised if you didn't consider yourself partly French.

And then you went on saying that French people are great, which, combined with the previous notion, suggests that you probably consider yourself 90% great too. If that is not what you meant, I apologise, but you may want to choose different words in the future.

Or maybe not, it is really not up to me. Returning to the subject of this conversation, do you think it is possible that people hold their dear beliefs because they view them as part of their identity?

Thanks for your opinion if it comes.
03-04-2014, 10:53 AM
RE: Are you an X because you believe in X'? Or do you believe in X' because you are an X?
Knowing DLJ's love for tongue-in-cheek statements and dry humor in general, and also knowing his relatively tolerant and gentle demeanor towards most people, I would have to conclude that his question was merely a tongue-in-cheek rhetorical question.

(spelled your name right. see?) xD
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
03-04-2014, 10:55 AM
(03-04-2014 06:02 AM)Banjo Wrote:  The French produced Denis Diderot, Stendhal, Voltaire, Camus, Descartes, Sartre, Bleriot etc etc.

I like the French. Smile

Unfortunately, Rowan Atkinson doesn't fall into the pro French camp.

This skit (minute 1:42) also mentions his hatred of them:

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
03-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Hello Magoo, thanks for joining in.

(03-04-2014 09:48 AM)Magoo Wrote:  How can you believe in Christ because you are a Christian?
It is not that difficult, really. If someone is told by parents, teachers and other people in the environment who supposedly know, that "you are a Christian and us Christians believe in Jesus Christ", that may develop into a person who believes in Jesus Christ because he or she considers him or herself a Christian.

(03-04-2014 09:48 AM)Magoo Wrote:  That's like saying "are you a golfer because you play golf?" They are the same bloody thing Tongue
No, because all my questions presented two options, and yours only presents one. The same bloody thing would have been "Are you a golfer because you play golf, or do you play golf because you are a golfer?"

I don't know if there are people who play golf simply because that is what a true golfer does, but it often seems to me that people view their ideology as part of their identity.
03-04-2014, 11:29 AM
@living thing

For some reason I can't quote at the moment so I'm just going to reply here.

Whether or not you presented two options has no effect on my point. A golfer is a person who plays the sport golf. If I play golf I am a golfer. I can't not be a golfer if I play golf, because if I play golf, I have to be a golfer. If I don't play golf, I am not a golfer.

Same thing with being a Christian. A Christian is someone who believes in Christ (generalising of course but just for the sake of argument)
If you believe in Christ, you are a Christian. If you don't believe in Christ, you are not a Christian. You can't be a Christian if you don't believe I'm Christ, because the whole point of a Christian is believing in Christ!

1=1
2=2
Golfer=person who plays golf
Christian=person who believes in Christ
One equals the other. If you are not one, you are not the other.
03-04-2014, 11:32 AM
(03-04-2014 10:46 AM)living thing Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 09:19 AM)wazzel Wrote:  You read alot into not much of a post by me.
And I may be wrong at doing so, for which I duly apologise, if that is the case. But don't forget it is not only our words what is readable, information about us can also be extracted from our actions.

For example, you have given DLJ the standard response you claim to give those who hate the French. From that action, I conclude that you see DLJ's contribution as a manifestation of hatred towards the French (otherwise your response would have presumably been different). All that despite the fact that he simply posited a question. Talk about reading a lot in someone else's posts!

Then you unclearly suggested that you are, to some extent, of French origin. I am not sure if you are about 90% Acadian French, if you consider 90% of the French people Acadian and you view yourself similar to them, if you consider yourself 90% French and you happen to be Acadian, or what. But from your words I'd be surprised if you didn't consider yourself partly French.

And then you went on saying that French people are great, which, combined with the previous notion, suggests that you probably consider yourself 90% great too. If that is not what you meant, I apologise, but you may want to choose different words in the future.

Or maybe not, it is really not up to me. Returning to the subject of this conversation, do you think it is possible that people hold their dear beliefs because they view them as part of their identity?

Thanks for your opinion if it comes.

My responce to DLJ's scarcast joke was a scarcastic joke. It was not ment for literal consumption.

I really am a direct decent Acadian (Cajun). I do not have it on me, but we (my aunt the family historian) has the records of how we get here. Is use 90%, in a loose way to represent mostly. So yes I identify with the Acadian - Cajun - French heritage. We are not all great, I know that. The comment was tounge in cheek.

To the last question, I do think some people hold on to certian beliefs becasue they feel it is part of thier identiy and if they let it go they woudl be letting go part of themselves. It could be religion or some other custom.
03-04-2014, 11:33 AM
(03-04-2014 11:32 AM)wazzel Wrote:  My responce to DLJ's scarcast joke was a scarcastic joke. It was not ment for literal consumption.

Oh. Whoops.
03-04-2014, 11:50 AM
(03-04-2014 10:55 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  ...
Unfortunately, Rowan Atkinson doesn't fall into the pro French camp.

This skit (minute 1:42) also mentions his hatred of them:

Au contraire mon ami.

Monsieur Atkinson ne détestent pas les Français.

The comedy hinges, as so often with Brit-humour, on the deliberate confusion of object and subject.
In this case the object of the joke is the English attitude towards the French rather than the subject: the French themselves.

@Charis,
You are a very perceptive young lady... although I take exception to "gentle demeano[u]r".

Incidentally, I have a French gentleman on my course this week and we are having a great time insulting each other.

It's tradition.

Which was the intended irony in my earlier comment.

Silly of me to forget that we have Murikans here.

(03-04-2014 10:56 AM)living thing Wrote:  ...
it often seems to me that people view their ideology as part of their identity.

Naturellement:
[Image: eerdekens-godego.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-04-2014, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2014 08:40 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
No.

I love it when people try to pigeon-hole others by what they don't believe. It always turns into a straw man. "Oh, you don't believe in '"The Supernatural"? So you're a Materialist and a Secular Humanist and a [ETA: Metaphysical Naturalist]...and a...and a....and you believe this and this and..."

"STFU, I just don't believe in fucking fairy tales."

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 3 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post