Are you an atheist for a reason?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2012, 03:27 PM
RE: Are you an atheist for a reason?
(06-11-2012 02:54 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I'm not an atheist for a reason, I'm an atheist because of reason.
Like that wasn't a set-up. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm an atheist because I'm a humanist. I want to do my bit to stop the damage.

The catholic church suppressed my individuality and my intellect while I was a child, and they are still at it. I want to protect the children from them and from all the other churches.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
06-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Raised Episcopal, evolved into an atheist from the ages of ~10-15. Did so due to lack of belief in the fairy tale along with disbelief that a benevolent god existed given the horrors, cruelty and suffering in the world. I have no axe to grind or point to prove about being an atheist. I just am.
Find all posts by this user
06-11-2012, 04:01 PM
I'm an atheist cuz it pays well. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
06-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Isn't Atheist the default human condition ?
At least up until fear, stupidity and lies mess things up.
[+] 5 users Like Idlecuriosity's post
06-11-2012, 04:56 PM
ehh.. i'm an atheist because the Vodka told me so....

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
06-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Because I have the ability to think critically.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
06-11-2012, 05:32 PM
I was born into a Methodist family. Went to church almost every Sunday at a young age. Funny, but looking back I can't recall how much of it I believed in back then. Is that me blocking it out? Did I not really believe but just went along for the ride? Maybe I'm losing brain cells. This sleep apnea is really messing me up.

Around 17 I left home to live my grandfather. At about that point my connection to my current church (Vanillagelical at the time) was cut. The fact that I didn't feel a thing was most likely facilitated by my smokin' hot wife...and loads of hormones. From that point until today was a slow gradual process into what I can now comfortably refer to as atheism.

As for there being anything about me the church would find repugnant....well, I kinda stopped believing. I'm told they tend to frown on that at church. I could be wrong though, it's been a loooong time.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
06-11-2012, 07:38 PM
I am not a "believer" because partly I was not raised with any religion and secondly none of these religions really made sense to me.

If there was ever any hard core, indisputable and substantiated proof that a deity existed then there would be no reason to "believe" because then you would actually know.

But I chose logic and reason over fantasy and myths. Don't misunderstand, they're all nice for fun and all but it has no place in my real life.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
06-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Are you an atheist for a reason?
I'm not an atheist for a reason but rather atheist BECAUSE of reason. Never could swallow the religion stuff and I tried many times. I could never make myself suspend the disbelief.
[+] 1 user Likes jmiah's post