Are you counted as a "none"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2017, 04:06 AM
RE: Are you counted as a "none"?
(20-08-2017 08:33 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > When I was in the army (1969-1972) the designation "NO PREF" was for atheists and agnostics.
That would probably apply to deists as well. Not for atheist Buddhists, though.

Quite a few job application forms in the UK contain a non-mandatory section on ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual preference, disability, and age. There are many where you can specify 'none' for religion. Others show atheism as a religion - even though it bloody isn't one. I refuse to answer in the latter case.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2017, 04:09 AM
(20-08-2017 10:38 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  I would just say I'm Catholic because why not.

And would that be a lie?

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

[+] 1 user Likes Norm Deplume's post
21-08-2017, 05:00 AM
I never liked "no pref" because it implies, to my mind, that any old religion would do.

And yeah, I've met people like that.

"Why are you up on Sunday morning?"

"Going to services."

"Which one?"

"Next one."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
21-08-2017, 07:11 AM
Human.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
21-08-2017, 07:18 AM
I have family who travels to Saudi Arabia for business. The options on their forms are "Muslim" or "other", that is all.
[+] 1 user Likes Jedi Rainbow Dash's post
21-08-2017, 08:03 AM
(21-08-2017 05:00 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I never liked "no pref" because it implies, to my mind, that any old religion would do.

That was my thought as well. But when I entered the Army, "NO PREF" was the only real option on both personnel records and dog tags, so that's what mine said. Still do, even though, fortunately, new people have more options.

[Image: Army-Reg-680-29-proof-you-can-select-ATHEIST.jpg]

My headstone would probably have the "Humanist" symbol if I were planning to have one, but I'd much rather just be ashified and scattered somewhere. The only reason I might want to be ashified and cryptified is so there would be a Humanist or atheist symbol among the welter of crosses - kind of my post-life "up yours" to all of the people in the military who said "There are no atheists in foxholes." Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Rockblossom's post
21-08-2017, 08:06 AM
I saw a jpg of the FSM nailed to a cross once.

Caption: Still makes sense, right?

Thumbsup
21-08-2017, 09:30 AM
(21-08-2017 08:06 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I saw a jpg of the FSM nailed to a cross once.

Thumbsup

It even kinda works as a pendant. Of course, if you are somewhere that still has laws against blasphemy...

[Image: flying-spaghetti-monster-cross-2.jpg]

And I'm unclear on how, exactly, one could nail noodles to a cross. Or anything, really. It's a bit like nailing jelly to a tree.
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
21-08-2017, 09:58 AM
(21-08-2017 09:30 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  
(21-08-2017 08:06 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I saw a jpg of the FSM nailed to a cross once.

Thumbsup

It even kinda works as a pendant. Of course, if you are somewhere that still has laws against blasphemy...

[Image: flying-spaghetti-monster-cross-2.jpg]

And I'm unclear on how, exactly, one could nail noodles to a cross. Or anything, really. It's a bit like nailing jelly to a tree.
My annual evaluations once said "He could nail jello to a wall." (They've officially banned that phrase since then.)
22-08-2017, 06:18 AM
As far as the census goes, I'm listed as Christian, because I stopped believing one year after the last one.