Poll: Are you entitled to money for being called a racial slur?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Are you entitled to money for being called a racial slur?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Are you entitled to money for being called a racial slur?
Story here.

Now, the settlement is undisclosed, but I have to ask... is a restaurant actually liable to pay a person money if one of its employees calls them a racial slur? Sure, the employees should definitely be fired, but is the victim actually entitled to monetary gains from verbal or textual bigotry? What exactly did that racial slur cost the victim in terms of monetary gains?

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2012, 04:58 PM
RE: Are you entitled to money for being called a racial slur?
This sounds like a question for our tread "cast a racial slur" Smile
oh no...
wait...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
15-02-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm in favor of repealing the civil rights laws of 1964. I think private business owners should have the right to discriminate against who they chose. Those that do will lose business and fail. Of course there are pros and cons but I just can't understand a law that dictates how you should treat someone in your own business.

So the answer is a big fat hell no.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
15-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Firstly, I'm not sure how money fixes the situation.

Secondly, why the hell would the restaurant owner have to pay for what the employee said?

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
15-02-2012, 06:06 PM
In the UK I think you guys are stereotypically seen as suing anything that moves.

Whilst the deragotary comments are offensive.....I dont think money is going to do anything more than the person saying sorry will.

The people being fired would of learnt there lesson through that.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
16-02-2012, 12:51 PM

(15-02-2012 05:03 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I'm in favor of repealing the civil rights laws of 1964. I think private business owners should have the right to discriminate against who they chose. Those that do will lose business and fail. Of course there are pros and cons but I just can't understand a law that dictates how you should treat someone in your own business.

Ron/Rand Paul..is that you????

In Binary land, your POV works. In real world application it fails.
In Greenwood Mississippi there are STILL 'members only' restaurants. I had a Japanese VP client to a local Mfg company get turned away due to his non membership. Its widely known the local white folks don't pay membership dues. Hmmm.
Business that boldly discriminate would most certainly stay in business, hell, they do it now when its against the law. They'd be celebrated by the Dixie wearing southern rednecks. To repeal that law would be bedlam. Sorry, thats where Rand paul and his daddy are simply fucking nuts.
To think that free market would weed out the bad stuff is a nice thought but its not realistic.
There are still stories of Golf Courses allowing their 1st darkie as a member..and its 2012!!

There still is a LOT of work to be done with this very touchy subject.

Should they be compensated? FUCK NO!

D
Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2012, 01:00 PM
(16-02-2012 12:51 PM)Denicio Wrote:  
(15-02-2012 05:03 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I'm in favor of repealing the civil rights laws of 1964. I think private business owners should have the right to discriminate against who they chose. Those that do will lose business and fail. Of course there are pros and cons but I just can't understand a law that dictates how you should treat someone in your own business.

In Greenwood Mississippi there are STILL 'members only' restaurants. I had a Japanese VP client to a local Mfg company get turned away due to his non membership. Its widely known the local white folks don't pay membership dues. Hmmm.
Business that boldly discriminate would most certainly stay in business, hell, they do it now when its against the law. They'd be celebrated by the Dixie wearing southern rednecks. To repeal that law would be bedlam. Sorry, thats where Rand paul and his daddy are simply fucking nuts.
To think that free market would weed out the bad stuff is a nice thought but its not realistic.
There are still stories of Golf Courses allowing their 1st darkie as a member..and its 2012!!

D

I disagree. A few 'underground' or secretive places may exist today but a full blown dismantling of discrimination laws woudln't change anythign IMO. Myself and many others wouldn't eat a place that actively discriminated against a minority. Adn the same for minority owned buisnesses that didn't cater to whites. It may take a couple years to get used to the idea but eventually, any business with a no-whites or no-blacks would go out of business from all the negative attention they would receive. This wouldn't apply to the government or private companies that enter into government contracts of course.

I feel the same way about things like wheelchair ramps and other things like that.

MY BUSINESS, MY RIGHT!! Bottom line.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
16-02-2012, 01:09 PM

(16-02-2012 01:00 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(16-02-2012 12:51 PM)Denicio Wrote:  

D

I disagree. A few 'underground' or secretive places may exist today but a full blown dismantling of discrimination laws woudln't change anythign IMO. Myself and many others wouldn't eat a place that actively discriminated against a minority. Adn the same for minority owned buisnesses that didn't cater to whites. It may take a couple years to get used to the idea but eventually, any business with a no-whites or no-blacks would go out of business from all the negative attention they would receive. This wouldn't apply to the government or private companies that enter into government contracts of course.

I feel the same way about things like wheelchair ramps and other things like that.

MY BUSINESS, MY RIGHT!! Bottom line.

Sorry, folks WILL descriminate easily if given the chance too. There has to be a social balancing act and 'free market' will NOT take care of it.
By doing this, we'd be back to "Whites Only" establishments and then we'd be working our way to a race war.

Hey, i am a white dude in memphis TN. I live in the CITY of Dead kings....we kill kings with drugs (elvis) or guns (MLK). We got the white/black thing in spades and i see ALL KINDS of insane reverse racism here. But repealing the big law is just crazy. Tweaking...maybe. But repealing? Divide this nation even deeper than the republicans tried doing with Red and Blue states (which was covert racism). Hell, even the stupid "Obama is a Muslim" is code for "Lynch that Nigger"! Obama is the WORST muslim ever...killing King Muslim and countless others.

D
16-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Not to detract from the heated conversation but every time I read the title I see "Are you entitled to being called a racial slur" and not what it actually says. WTF is wrong with me.

And I'm with GermanyT. Far as I'm concerned everyone should be allowed to discriminate against whoever they want so long as it's their own business. Just like everyone should be allowed to boycott said business due entirely to it's racist or bigoted beliefs. As long as no one is physically assaulted.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
16-02-2012, 02:00 PM

(16-02-2012 01:50 PM)lucradis Wrote:  As long as no one is physically assaulted.

How do you guys think repealing that law ends??? With Tinkerbell hitting us all on the head with her magic wand?

Politically Correct does not even factor into my DNA, so please don't think i am some bleeding heart.

Since you guys are for discrimination, then i suppose you support the Anti Gay movement and are against the right to marry, right?
Why stop with blacks, do you guys wanna repeal the womens right to vote?

No one is Physically HURT or Physically ASSAULTED when Homo's cant marry or women don't vote...right?

George W bush said atheist should not even be allowed to be Americans. You support that?

Free market did not fix things back in the 1930's, why would it work today?

D