Poll: Are you entitled to money for being called a racial slur?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Are you entitled to money for being called a racial slur?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2012, 03:09 PM
RE: Are you entitled to money for being called a racial slur?
No offence people but this sorta stuff makes me sooooooo glad I live in the UK. I've never heard anyone over here who thinks that any form of discrimination is OK.

I personally think that if you legalise discrimination it won't cause an explosion of discrimination immediately, but it will slowly increase til you get back to how America was 50-100 years ago.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2012, 03:14 PM
(16-02-2012 03:09 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  No offence people but this sorta stuff makes me sooooooo glad I live in the UK. I've never heard anyone over here who thinks that any form of discrimination is OK.

I personally think that if you legalise discrimination it won't cause an explosion of discrimination immediately, but it will slowly increase til you get back to how America was 50-100 years ago.

I totally disagree. People's racism would be out in the open. You would be able to identify those that you would rather not associate with. Eventually the racists will find themselves with so few friend and so little business that the very concept of racism would have to die out. Most people, expecially business owners don't want to be disconnected from society.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
16-02-2012, 04:20 PM

(16-02-2012 03:14 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(16-02-2012 03:09 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  No offense people but this sorta stuff makes me sooooooo glad I live in the UK. I've never heard anyone over here who thinks that any form of discrimination is OK.

I personally think that if you legalize discrimination it won't cause an explosion of discrimination immediately, but it will slowly increase til you get back to how America was 50-100 years ago.

I totally disagree. People's racism would be out in the open. You would be able to identify those that you would rather not associate with. Eventually the racists will find themselves with so few friend and so little business that the very concept of racism would have to die out. Most people, especially business owners don't want to be disconnected from society.

Its already out in the open, its just in code.
The Tea Party v2, the one that Glenn Beck rode the wave on...that was 99% white America pissed that there was a Spook in the White House. The nonsense of Birth Certificates, Muslim faith...all of that crap was code talk. They'd GLADLY patronized
Whitey's White Castle and Shakes they'd show up in spades (pun intended).

What i TOTALLY admire about Germanyt is that he has SO much damn faith in America to do the right thing and naturally weed out the stupid. I don't. I have a shirt (Disney shirt) that in BIG BOLD letters it says "I'm surrounded by idiots" (Scar said it in lion king). I firmly believe it. Common sense is NOT all that common and there would be a sea of folks of both colors flocking to their racially charged stores and shops. America is NOT full of educated rational people. We would not have small isolated events, we'd have rampant racism back in our lives.

I know in North Mississippi there's be so many proud rednecks showing up a Hoochie's Nigger Shooter Gun range with their Dixie flags waving in the window it would be mind boggling. I live in the Delta, and its RIPE in these parts. Its everywhere. Maybe in Casper, wyoming...it would not blip on the radar, but in bigger metro's where there is a strong mix...you bet it would be a problem.

Germanyt & Lcris, i wished i lived in your world where it worked. I simply know better. This nation is ate up with stupid people.....W Bush got elected twice, so there is my proof, and free market would SUPPORT racial establishments not eliminate them. I still have a Brother In Law that proclaims every chance he gets that he'd own 2 slaves if he could! I walked out of a resturant the last time he said this..in ALL seriousness.

What you propose is reopening the wounds of slavery and setting us back 100 years or so. No thanks!

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
16-02-2012, 05:00 PM
I voted yes, even though I wouldn't say you're "entitled" to money for being called a racial slur. I do think it's perfectly reasonable for a business who discriminated against that man to pay damages for wronging him.

Entitled? No. But there needs to be some consequence for breaking the law and this seems as good as any.
16-02-2012, 05:04 PM
(16-02-2012 05:00 PM)Ben Wrote:  I voted yes, even though I wouldn't say you're "entitled" to money for being called a racial slur. I do think it's perfectly reasonable for a business who discriminated against that man to pay damages for wronging him.

Entitled? No. But there needs to be some consequence for breaking the law and this seems as good as any.

Or people shouldn't be so sensetive. If an employee somewhere calls them a derogatory name they can report it to the owner/manager. If nothign is done about it then they can stop doing business there. If the owner was smart he'd fire those that act like this. How on Earth is monetary conpensation adequate for such a minor offense?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
16-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Firstly, the manager may very well be as racist as the employees who wrote the receipt.

Secondly, it's not just about people getting their feelings hurt. Racial slurs like that could easily be seen as threats and the man may have feared for his safety.

You think this guy stopping doing business there would have bothered them? That's almost certainly what they were aiming for.
16-02-2012, 05:19 PM
(16-02-2012 03:14 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I totally disagree. People's racism would be out in the open. You would be able to identify those that you would rather not associate with. Eventually the racists will find themselves with so few friend and so little business that the very concept of racism would have to die out. Most people, expecially business owners don't want to be disconnected from society.

If that's how thinks worked out than there wouldn't have had to be laws against discrimination in the first place.

Legalising it makes it more socially acceptable. Firstly the people who don't care what people think will openly discriminate, their actions will encourage other people to follow suit and before you know it most towns will have a white barbers and a black barbers and so on and so forth.

Remember the same 'freedoms' you champion are the ones used by the WBC to act the way they do. And the 'repression of freedom' over here is what we used to keep that scum out of the country altogether.

As far as I can see with American culture, 'freedom' is just a buzz-word used by people who want to justify allowing completely unacceptable actions.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
16-02-2012, 05:34 PM
I hear people chuck freedom around a lot and for the most part the people doing the chucking are talking about removing someone's freedom. Irony?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Not allowing someone to commit murder/rape/torture is the removal of a 'freedom'. That doesn't make it a negative thing.

So why would removing someone's 'freedom' to discriminate against blacks/gays be a negative thing?

I'd happily sacrifice those sort of freedoms to increase the quality of human life.

Best
Worst
16-02-2012, 05:51 PM
I think murder and rape just might be place into a different category....
Call me crazy but I think there's a reason you go to jail for murder and not for name calling.
But I will still be your best man at your inevitable wedding hughsie.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user