Poll: Are you entitled to money for being called a racial slur?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Are you entitled to money for being called a racial slur?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2012, 05:59 PM
RE: Are you entitled to money for being called a racial slur?
(16-02-2012 05:51 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I think murder and rape just might be place into a different category....
Call me crazy but I think there's a reason you go to jail for murder and not for name calling.
But I will still be your best man at your inevitable wedding hughsie.

I disagree, I see it as a sliding scale. It's all about where you draw the line for me, and we're drawing it in different places.

I like that we can disagree though, if this was a creationist forum you would have had to ban me by now Big Grin.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
16-02-2012, 06:01 PM
I guess but ...

oh wait...

[Image: 1315849047_chuck_norris_punching.gif]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-02-2012, 10:47 AM
One thing I would like to point out is that same-sex marriage bills allow religious institutions the right to discriminate against holding same-sex couples. Even those who are against gay marriage accept this as a compromise that they can live with. If a church can discriminate based on sexual orientation then what's the big deal with a business discriminating on race? It's not like gays are knocking church doors down in riot. They simply elect to not try and get married there.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
17-02-2012, 10:55 AM
How about we let a business discriminate on religious grounds? I think you'd agree that's a bad thing?

Now you think that discriminating on race grounds should be allowed? And your rationale is that the businesses will be forced to close by public opinion?

How much would public opinion defend you if you weren't protected by law from being fired from your job for being an atheist?
17-02-2012, 11:02 AM
(17-02-2012 10:55 AM)morondog Wrote:  How about we let a business discriminate on religious grounds? I think you'd agree that's a bad thing?

Now you think that discriminating on race grounds should be allowed? And your rationale is that the businesses will be forced to close by public opinion?

How much would public opinion defend you if you weren't protected by law from being fired from your job for being an atheist?

I don't agree. I would be okay with that.

I'm not protected by law. In Louisiana I can absolutely be fired for being an atheist. I can be fired for any reason at all. I work for a very right wing Christian family and boss and yet, I'm still here.

It seems to me you think that all of a sudden signs will pop up that say 'no blacks', 'no atheists', 'no gays', etc. It's not going to happen. Very few business owners would put their company at risk by advertising blatant biggotry.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
17-02-2012, 11:05 AM

(17-02-2012 11:02 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(17-02-2012 10:55 AM)morondog Wrote:  How about we let a business discriminate on religious grounds? I think you'd agree that's a bad thing?

I'm not protected by law. In Louisiana I can absolutely be fired for being an atheist. I can be fired for any reason at all. I work for a very right wing Christian family and boss and yet, I'm still here.

Wait a second...GermanyT is an Atheist?
Rand Paul & Ron Paul apologist, Pro Circumcision....... i am confused here.

Probably just a matter of time before we hear he's now batting for the other team.

Big Grin

D
Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2012, 11:06 AM
(17-02-2012 10:47 AM)germanyt Wrote:  One thing I would like to point out is that same-sex marriage bills allow religious institutions the right to discriminate against holding same-sex couples. Even those who are against gay marriage accept this as a compromise that they can live with. If a church can discriminate based on sexual orientation then what's the big deal with a business discriminating on race? It's not like gays are knocking church doors down in riot. They simply elect to not try and get married there.

I don't think churches should be allowed to discriminate against same-sex couples. If they can it sends out a message to society that it's ok to treat certain groups as inferior and helps breed bigotry.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
17-02-2012, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2012 11:15 AM by germanyt.)
(17-02-2012 11:05 AM)Denicio Wrote:  
(17-02-2012 11:02 AM)germanyt Wrote:  

Wait a second...GermanyT is an Atheist?
Rand Paul & Ron Paul apologist, Pro Circumcision....... i am confused here.

Probably just a matter of time before we hear he's now batting for the other team.

Big Grin

D

I am not an apologist. I have nothing to apologize for. I'd like to know of the last presidential candidate that you aligned 100% with. I'm a Ron Paul supporter. Has nothing to do with Rand Paul.

And I used to be a conservative Republican atheist. I'm not a Libertarian. But no way would I vote for Obama. The president that signed NDAA, extended the Patriot Act, has run record defecits, can't get anyone in Congress to work together, etc, etc, etc. Sure the economy is better and DADT was repealed. He's done a few other things that I like but not enough. I even prefer him to Romney, Santorum, and Gingrich. But nominee or not, I'm voting for Ron Paul!

rEVOL[VE]ution2012!

(17-02-2012 11:06 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(17-02-2012 10:47 AM)germanyt Wrote:  One thing I would like to point out is that same-sex marriage bills allow religious institutions the right to discriminate against holding same-sex couples. Even those who are against gay marriage accept this as a compromise that they can live with. If a church can discriminate based on sexual orientation then what's the big deal with a business discriminating on race? It's not like gays are knocking church doors down in riot. They simply elect to not try and get married there.

I don't think churches should be allowed to discriminate against same-sex couples. If they can it sends out a message to society that it's ok to treat certain groups as inferior and helps breed bigotry.

It equally exposes churches who do discriminate as bigots and helps many to see how not okay it is.

Pessimism vs. Optimism I guess

-Mark Twain
17-02-2012, 11:16 AM

(17-02-2012 11:02 AM)germanyt Wrote:  It seems to me you think that all of a sudden signs will pop up that say 'no blacks', 'no atheists', 'no gays', etc. It's not going to happen. Very few business owners would put their company at risk by advertising blatant biggotry.

I love your world man, i really do!

The business that ALREADY discriminate WOULD do that openly, then there would be a new generation of business (on both sides) that would AGGRESSIVELY and BOLDLY make this a business model.

There is a guy in Texas that recreates vintage microphones, these 'copies' sell for 4000.00 (I've owned one) and he's got a waiting list for more. I say this to say you TRULY underestimate the power of Niche companies in 2012.
WHO the fuck pays 4.00 for coffee??? (i said about 13 years ago). Now i cant escape the coffee shops.

For Xenu's sake, NAMBLA exists (from my Howard stern listening days), and they CONTINUE to 'catch a predator' with a TV show showing what happens, people simply dont watch and learn.

Sorry, this nation is too full of dumb apes to not have some basic rules in place. Due to this nations ugly past..its a necessity.

I can even bend the prism a different way and see that that law protects lesser evolved business owners (racist) and its employees. Protects them from folks that WOULD harm the establishment, owner & employees should they be allowed to discriminate openly. Gang mentality would not think twice about a Molotov cocktail pitched like the winning throw of a world series game.

D
Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2012, 11:18 AM
(17-02-2012 11:02 AM)germanyt Wrote:  It seems to me you think that all of a sudden signs will pop up that say 'no blacks', 'no atheists', 'no gays', etc. It's not going to happen. Very few business owners would put their company at risk by advertising blatant biggotry.

If it was completely legal to put up such a sign, you think people wouldn't do it?

I think they would. And I think many people would applaud. And the divisions would get worse.

I think you do have legal protection. Tell me your boss wouldn't get into trouble for putting up a "no atheists" sign, or for firing you on purely religious grounds - I'm sure with all the high profile atheist cases that have been recently won he'd be savaged by the law.

In any case, *not* discriminating is agreed as a good thing to do, why is it wrong to have a law that people should do the right thing?