Poll: Does the forum crash or time out for you?
All the freakin' time.
A pretty good bit.
Every once in awhile.
Nope. Never.
[Show Results]

Are you experiencing time outs, forum crashes, or MyBB errors?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2013, 02:57 PM
RE: Are you experiencing time outs, forum crashes, or MyBB errors?
Have you checked to make sure the server isn't getting DoS'd first before you fork money out for the server? Just sayin'...

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2013, 02:58 PM
(05-12-2013 02:55 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Is the server near you KC? Did one of the cables end up in a freaking gumbo?

Sorry, I had to ask. I'm all better now. Smile

rofl

But no. DT is the one to ask about that. He's the miracle worker.

I'm just relaying info to Seth.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
05-12-2013, 03:00 PM
(05-12-2013 02:57 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Have you checked to make sure the server isn't getting DoS'd first before you fork money out for the server? Just sayin'...

Again... that's a DT thing. But DT knows his stuff. DT suggested a larger server, and I trust him implicitly on matters like this.

If we were getting DOS'ed, I'm pretty sure he would know.

05-12-2013, 03:01 PM
It's not a constant problem for me, but it happens enough that I've learned to ctrl+a (select all) and ctrl+c (copy) before hitting preview or post.

Unfortunately, I learned that lesson too late, and an incredibly insightful and witty post that would have changed all your lives for the better was lost forever because I wasn't motivated to type it twice.... Rolleyes

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
05-12-2013, 03:04 PM
(05-12-2013 03:01 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  It's not a constant problem for me, but it happens enough that I've learned to ctrl+a (select all) and ctrl+c (copy) before hitting preview or post.

Unfortunately, I learned that lesson too late, and an incredibly insightful and witty post that would have changed all your lives for the better was lost forever because I wasn't motivated to type it twice.... Rolleyes

Google Chrome.

Saves everything you type; even when you click "back".

[+] 5 users Like kingschosen's post
05-12-2013, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 03:12 PM by Logisch.)
(05-12-2013 03:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 02:57 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Have you checked to make sure the server isn't getting DoS'd first before you fork money out for the server? Just sayin'...

Again... that's a DT thing. But DT knows his stuff. DT suggested a larger server, and I trust him implicitly on matters like this.

The way you worded this comes off as if I somehow don't know what I'm talking about which kind of pisses me off. I'm not saying DT doesn't know, I'm just saying it's worth investigating in case he didn't suspect or check for such a thing. Hardware limitations can cause all kinds of issues, but phpbb should be able to handle a lot of connections.

It happens during the day and the night. During the night the forums and nearly dead, that should not be hardware limitations. Unless this is a shared server and not a dedicated server, in which case, other sites could cause load to the server.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
05-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Meh, simple solution.

Stage one: Permanently delete all unstickied threads. Yes, all of them, and yes, permanently (or at least eliminated from using any resources whatsoever.) any thread that was worth it's salt wil be re-started, re-discussed, or whatever.

Stage two: prune down members list to the 200 most recently active members. Any members inactive beyond that point, who return, will attempt to log in, see that their account is gone, and on the sign up page it will explain that accounts were deleted. You'll have to just suck it up and sign up again.

Stage three: hit the bong.

Stage four: profit.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
05-12-2013, 03:19 PM
(05-12-2013 03:08 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 03:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Again... that's a DT thing. But DT knows his stuff. DT suggested a larger server, and I trust him implicitly on matters like this.

The way you worded this comes off as if I somehow don't know what I'm talking about which kind of pisses me off. I'm not saying DT doesn't know, I'm just saying it's worth investigating in case he didn't suspect or check for such a thing. Hardware limitations can cause all kinds of issues, but phpbb should be able to handle a lot of connections.

It happens during the day and the night. During the night the forums and nearly dead, that should not be hardware limitations. Unless this is a shared server and not a dedicated server, in which case, other sites could cause load to the server.

Whoa whoa whoa.

Not what I meant at all.

I know you probably know what you're talking about. I personally have no idea. I don't deal with those things.

I'm just saying I'm pretty sure DT has checked into it because he's good like that.

Man... sorry if you took that the wrong way. Didn't mean anything by it.

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
05-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Depends on what I'm using to access the site - by mobile, several times a day. On my computer, maybe twice a day, usually during noontime. Some devices work better with this site and others don't. On average the ipod I have is ten times as worse than any other technology I use to access TTA.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
05-12-2013, 03:20 PM
(05-12-2013 03:18 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Meh, simple solution.

Stage one: blah blah blah

Stage two: blah blah blah

Stage three: hit the bong.

Stage four: profit.

fixt

[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post