Are you guys insane?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 1 Average
16-04-2012, 03:18 AM

Are you guys insane?
Are you guys insane? I don’t mean that from a professional perspective; I mean it in a gob-smacked-disbelief kind of way. I’m reading a book by Michael Behe called The Edge of Evolution and he shows in a plain, prima facie, mathematically necessary way that evolution of species is impossible in the strict Darwinian way.

Chaotic chance mutations driven by natural selection just won’t produce even simple changes in a species in the time the universe has existed, much less will it change a fish into a bird or a monkey into a human. Not on it’s own, not without designed input.

I’m not against evolution. Far from it. I’m all for it because now I see that God has to exist because evolution is a fact.

So where are you guys (atheists) coming from? Why do you put so much stock in evolution. I'd be thinking you'd reject it. Bechased
Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2012, 03:43 AM
RE: Are you guys insane?
Let me get this straight. You put faith in Behe's crack-pottery to show you the necessity of god-driven evolution - and we're the insane ones?

How quaint. Lost in the holodeck of your very own Enterprise. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 21 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-04-2012, 03:50 AM
The last time I checked, natural selection is the very opposite of chance. To put it very simply, I have a group of organisms and a selection pressure. The selection pressure (could be food, water or even temperature) acts on the group. Those who cannot survive, die. Those who can, survive. The survivors live long enough to bred. The advantageous genes are passed down. The constant weeding out of those who cannot thrive under a given selection pressure lead to natural selection. Eventually I have a group of organisms that survive very well under the pre-imposed selection pressure. Give it enough time and speciation occurs.

Also, evolution (macro-evolution in this case) does not work like this:
Squirtle -> Wartotle -> Blastoise
Bulbasaur -> Ivysaur -> Venosaur
Charmander -> Charmeleon -> Charizard

It works like this:
[Image: Phylogenetic_Tree_of_Life.png]

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like robotworld's post
16-04-2012, 04:31 AM
When the scientific consensus departs from evolution, atheists will probably follow. For now, and after 150 years of trying to debunk it evolution remains the only model on the table. It's a model with serious predictive powers, and its predictions have been borne out countless times over its lifetime.
The best chance to debunk evolution came about with the modern discovery of DNA. There were again countless opportunities to show that species came about through other mechanisms. Instead DNA has confirmed evolutionary predictions.
You and I are encoded onto 46 DNA molecules. Those molecules are almost byte for byte, segment to segment identical to related species such as chimpanzees. The genetic tree lines up with the morphological fossil tree, which lines up with embryonic development. Even our parasites such as lice are genetically related to each other across primate species in a way that mirrors the relatedness of the primate species themselves. See "Creation or Evolution: Do we have to choose?" for a Christian perspective on this.
It borders on the ridiculous to seriously postulate evolution is false without a serious alternative contender and a mountain of evidence to support that contender. Even Answers in Genesis doesn't go so far as to argue against evolution. They simply straight jacket it to only occur within a predefined "kind". Well guess what? So does evolution! A cat is a cat. A lion is a cat. A tiger is a cat. If a cat species were to take the the water and start to swim like a dolphin it would still be a cat. Like begets like. Kind begets kind. No child is a different species to its parent. However, when we take a gap of time over a hundred or a thousand generations we see enough differences emerging that we can no longer call them the same species as they started as.
This occurs through genetic drift and other related mechanisms more than through natural selection itself, but selective events play a major role at certain times.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
16-04-2012, 05:16 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2012 08:43 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Look who's talking about insanity. OMFG.
Egor dear, you're making a fool of yourself again. You need a board of directors for your new religion to help you through these tough ones. We do know it's really hard to be a founding prophet, and that keeps ya pretty busy, but honey, please stop making yourself look so ridiculous. No one is gonna take yer new religion seriously if you keep this up. Isn't there a web site for assistance in starting new religions, that you could go on ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
16-04-2012, 06:14 AM
Behe said it, I believe it, that settles it. Everybody who doesn't agree with Behe is insane.
[+] 1 user Likes Blood's post
16-04-2012, 06:32 AM
I would just like to make it clear to everyone that I am most definitely insane.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 5 users Like frankiej's post
16-04-2012, 06:49 AM
(16-04-2012 03:18 AM)Egor Wrote:  Are you guys insane? I don’t mean that from a professional perspective; I mean it in a gob-smacked-disbelief kind of way. I’m reading a book by Michael Behe called The Edge of Evolution and he shows in a plain, prima facie, mathematically necessary way that evolution of species is impossible in the strict Darwinian way.

Chaotic chance mutations driven by natural selection just won’t produce even simple changes in a species in the time the universe has existed, much less will it change a fish into a bird or a monkey into a human. Not on it’s own, not without designed input.

I’m not against evolution. Far from it. I’m all for it because now I see that God has to exist because evolution is a fact.

So where are you guys (atheists) coming from? Why do you put so much stock in evolution. I'd be thinking you'd reject it. Bechased
Somebody just enjoys trolling forums..... Dodgy

publius2k4

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
[Image: tumblr_lvj8iyIABB1r2fzujo1_500.gif]
16-04-2012, 06:51 AM
(16-04-2012 06:49 AM)publius2k4 Wrote:  Somebody just enjoys trolling forums..... Dodgy
That's not a troll, that's a prophet of Gawd! Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2012, 06:59 AM
(16-04-2012 06:51 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(16-04-2012 06:49 AM)publius2k4 Wrote:  Somebody just enjoys trolling forums..... Dodgy
That's not a troll, that's a prophet of Gawd! Tongue
Yeah you're right.....because EVERYBODY knows trolls are just a myth Hobo

publius2k4

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
[Image: tumblr_lvj8iyIABB1r2fzujo1_500.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes publius2k4's post