Are you in love...with yourself???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2012, 04:29 PM
RE: Are you in love...with yourself???
(02-03-2012 03:49 PM)Dragon-Wolf Wrote:  
(25-02-2012 02:33 PM)bemore Wrote:  If you had to put on a scale of 1-10 of how much you like/regard yourself then what would it be???

Well..if "1" is the lowest and "10" being the highest then I would put myself at a 2.

It's not that I necessarily hate myself really but I also do not see anything that is particularly "likeable" either.
I see myself as merely a human who is enduring existence. Nothing "special" just one of those "dime-a-dozen" types.

Thats a shame Sad

Your unique, special, a one off.

Your awesome......its just that you may have forgotten it somewhere down the line.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2012, 04:32 PM
(02-03-2012 04:29 PM)bemore Wrote:  Thats a shame Sad
Your unique, special, a one off.
Your awesome......its just that you may have forgotten it somewhere down the line.

Those are nice words to say in response but I have heard them before from others yet they offer nothing to actually back up those words.

I can hardly forget something that never was. But this post isn't about me.

Thanks anyways

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
02-03-2012, 04:47 PM
(02-03-2012 03:53 PM)Kaiden_2012 Wrote:  I give myself a 5. A solid 5. Strictly because I like who I am as a person half of the time. I take pride in a good portion of my personality traits but there are another amount that I frown upon.
Same with physical appearance, intelligence, skills, etc.

That's pretty much how I feel about myself except less solidly... on any given day I can fluctuate from maybe a 3 or 4 to a 7 or so. I dunno, ups and downs I suppose. Generally I'm a 5... maybe if I could shed a few more pounds I could go for a 6.
02-03-2012, 05:58 PM
7 is not a bad figure; it gives for plenty of ego, plus room for self improvement.
Besides 7 is a holy number......Angel
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
02-03-2012, 07:26 PM
I'd have to admit the existence of myself before I could answer that question. But Descartes ruined that for me long ago with a particularly shitty argument.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-03-2012, 02:57 AM
I'd have to say....8 maybe **shrugs**
I definitely like who I am. I think you've got to be at peace with who you are as you certainly spend a lot of time with yourself Tongue . Over my life I have met my fair share of people who hate themselves (as they've always got to be around others), sad really. I enjoy my own company..

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
03-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Can I extend the self-analysis to make it 2-dimensional?

I read once (many centuries ago) in a mystical tome (I think it was the Tao of Pooh) that the wise .would use the following at the start of therapy treatment.

I think it was called something like "Life Position" and the patient had to point to the area that represented their view of themselves in relation to others (dominant, submissive etc.).

To visualise it, imagine a cross-hair diagram with "you" and "me" and +ve and -ve on the two axes.
So the 4 squares are:
I'm OK / You're OK
I'm OK / You're not OK
I'm not OK / You're OK
I'm not OK / You're not OK

The theory goes that after some therapy the same exercise is repeated and the patient should be advancing towards the I'm OK / You're OK area (tolerance and self-esteem).

I had an immediate problem with this.
Not the diagram but the intended outcome.
I figured if you just want to get to I'm OK / You're OK that can easily be achieved with the appropriate recreational drugs.
I reckon that a higher state of ... um ... enlightenment might really be where the two lines meet, at the centre. It's where I place myself (apart from the occasional mood swings) and I describe it as ... I am / You are.

Discuss.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-03-2012, 06:17 PM
(03-03-2012 10:10 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I figured if you just want to get to I'm OK / You're OK that can easily be achieved with the appropriate recreational drugs.

Yup yup.

(03-03-2012 10:10 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I reckon that a higher state of ... um ... enlightenment might really be where the two lines meet, at the centre. It's where I place myself (apart from the occasional mood swings) and I describe it as ... I am / You are.

Nope. Still not seeing it.

03-03-2012, 07:27 PM
(03-03-2012 06:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-03-2012 10:10 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I figured if you just want to get to I'm OK / You're OK that can easily be achieved with the appropriate recreational drugs.

Yup yup.

(03-03-2012 10:10 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I reckon that a higher state of ... um ... enlightenment might really be where the two lines meet, at the centre. It's where I place myself (apart from the occasional mood swings) and I describe it as ... I am / You are.

Nope. Still not seeing it.

Having slept on it, I now recall I read it in "Counselling for Toads" by Robert de Board.
But it appears in much TA (transactional analysis) literature.

The implication is that I'm OK / You're OK is the Life position of a winner but the problem I have with that (and with economic growth, globalisation, stock market gambling, nature itself etc.) is that for every winner, there is usually a loser. So would not a more civilised, sustainable life position be the neutral one which does not distinguish between you / me being better or worse: balance / acceptance / tolerance, racial colour-blindness etc. therefore... "I am / You are"?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-03-2012, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2012 10:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-03-2012 07:27 PM)DLJ Wrote:  The implication is that I'm OK / You're OK is the Life position of a winner but the problem I have with that ...

There ain't no good guy, there ain't no bad guy, there's only you and me .... Wink

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post