Poll: Are you out or in the closet?
I am completely in the closet
I am out to one person only.
I am out to a few people.
I am out in my private life, but not at work.
I am out at work but not to my family.
I come out when asked.
I shout it from the roof tops.
[Show Results]

Are you out or in the closet?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
28-01-2017, 03:03 AM
RE: Are you out or in the closet?
Closets? Oh no no, closets just aren't my thing!
I like to be outside and look at all the other fine handsome atheists. All of that tight butt clenching leather. Oh silly me!

Crazy you say?
Wouldn't a crazy man ask another man if he was crazy?! Hobo
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Slave's post
01-02-2017, 03:53 PM
After reading a lot of these comments it really is quite depressing how logic and reasoning loses out when bullied with social pressures and acceptability. I think there has to be a path forward; however, where logic and reasoning wins otherwise what result can we expect? Evil_monster

The choice between choosing to live ones life in the now based in reality vs living for an afterlife based in unverifiable myth would be easy enough I think for most. Especially considering the heavy burden of attempting to believe in something your mind just can't resolve. But that's not the real burden here. For most unfortunately the choice is choosing to live ones life in the now based in reality while accepting banishment from all those you love or sadly wish to love.

I will never turn my back on those stuck in that position and wish there was more that could be done to help. Unfortunately the practice of psychology takes a back seat approach when it comes to religion. We simply have to deal with living in a world where someone can be fired for not believing in a ghost. But until the world catches up with you... do your best to stay well and engaged in the debate best you can. You are part of the gradual change no matter how small your role.
[+] 2 users Like dirtstar's post
02-02-2017, 08:46 AM
(01-02-2017 03:53 PM)dirtstar Wrote:  After reading a lot of these comments it really is quite depressing how logic and reasoning loses out when bullied with social pressures and acceptability.
I agree, but only to a point. I don't feel any more "bullied" about my lack of faith than I do about my political beliefs or child-rearing beliefs. Inherently a lot of people won't agree with me, the better ones among them will agree to disagree and still cooperate with me and be civil to me; some won't. Also, for the most part, what I think about gods, politics or child-rearing is largely my business and not anyone else's, and so mostly these things go unremarked on in real life.

I realize that my views above are influenced by the fact I live in a certain area that's more egalitarian and civil. I might feel more strongly if I lived in Americus GA or Baton Rouge LA, or some town with a Baptist church on every other street corner. I might feel more strongly if my entire extended family were bug-eyed fundamentalists. But even there, you would expect people to demand you toe the line not just in terms of religious dogma, but politically, in your outward family life, etc. The whole milieu is conformist and authoritarian; it is largely driven by religion in practice, but also culturally. People who chafe at this tend to move somewhere saner at their first opportunity.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
04-02-2017, 11:28 PM
People either seem to know I'm an atheist without me having to tell them or they think I'm Mormon. I tend not bring it up unless I'm asked.
10-02-2017, 07:36 AM
What closet? The anti-religion sentiment is more popular and trendy than ever. I think atheism as a community is somewhat odd.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
10-02-2017, 09:07 AM
(10-02-2017 07:36 AM)Naielis Wrote:  What closet? The anti-religion sentiment is more popular and trendy than ever.

This depends entirely on where you are. There are huge swathes of the world, even in America, where atheism is still very much taboo.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 3 users Like Unbeliever's post
23-02-2017, 10:58 PM
(10-02-2017 09:07 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(10-02-2017 07:36 AM)Naielis Wrote:  What closet? The anti-religion sentiment is more popular and trendy than ever.

This depends entirely on where you are. There are huge swathes of the world, even in America, where atheism is still very much taboo.

I agree with that since I live in the middle of the Bible Belt. That said... I've no issue with being an atheist. Don't get me wrong. I don't stand on street corners with a sign proclaiming my non belief but I've no issue or reservations about telling someone that I am an atheist.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post
23-02-2017, 11:03 PM
(10-02-2017 09:07 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  

* Maybe especially America.
24-02-2017, 01:01 AM
I come out when asked. If you can't handle the answer, don't ask the question. I'll defend my position anytime, anywhere.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
25-02-2017, 08:46 PM
I'll second the opinion stated above...It depends on where you live.

You'd think that the Left Coast (CA) would welcome atheists with open arms, except I'm in one of the pockets of conservatism...Orange County. When at work with a bunch of other scientists, atheism is less an issue, and more a given. Being out and about is an entirely different story. Invariably, I get asked which church I attend, and my pat answer is "none of the above".
Usually, quizzical looks ("it does not compute") is the response, and then conversation continues as if the question was never asked.

Somehow, the idea of someone not attending church is such a foreign idea, that their brain simply refuses to accept the possibility, and shuts down.

Disappointing theists since 1968
[+] 1 user Likes A. Secular Human's post