Poll: Are you out or in the closet?
I am completely in the closet
I am out to one person only.
I am out to a few people.
I am out in my private life, but not at work.
I am out at work but not to my family.
I come out when asked.
I shout it from the roof tops.
[Show Results]

Are you out or in the closet?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
25-02-2017, 09:35 PM
RE: Are you out or in the closet?
(25-02-2017 08:46 PM)A. Secular Human Wrote:  I'll second the opinion stated above...It depends on where you live.

You'd think that the Left Coast (CA) would welcome atheists with open arms, except I'm in one of the pockets of conservatism...Orange County. When at work with a bunch of other scientists, atheism is less an issue, and more a given. Being out and about is an entirely different story. Invariably, I get asked which church I attend, and my pat answer is "none of the above".
Usually, quizzical looks ("it does not compute") is the response, and then conversation continues as if the question was never asked.

Somehow, the idea of someone not attending church is such a foreign idea, that their brain simply refuses to accept the possibility, and shuts down.

I'm glad I don't live in Orange County LOL.

If you asked someone here what church they attended, you'd quite possibly be deported as a subversive radicalist, and a threat to state security. Or even more likely, have your lights punched out. Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2017, 09:41 PM
(25-02-2017 09:35 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(25-02-2017 08:46 PM)A. Secular Human Wrote:  I'll second the opinion stated above...It depends on where you live.

You'd think that the Left Coast (CA) would welcome atheists with open arms, except I'm in one of the pockets of conservatism...Orange County. When at work with a bunch of other scientists, atheism is less an issue, and more a given. Being out and about is an entirely different story. Invariably, I get asked which church I attend, and my pat answer is "none of the above".
Usually, quizzical looks ("it does not compute") is the response, and then conversation continues as if the question was never asked.

Somehow, the idea of someone not attending church is such a foreign idea, that their brain simply refuses to accept the possibility, and shuts down.

If you asked someone here what church they attended, you'd quite possibly be deported as a subversive radicalist, and a threat to state security. Or even more likely, have your lights punched out. Big Grin

OC is a very republican area and certainly more religious than surrounding areas but in 25 years of living there I don't think anybody ever asked me where I went to church so that post surprised me.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
01-03-2017, 07:03 AM
(11-07-2016 06:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  This is a poll about whether you are in the closet or out with your atheism.

Out when asked.

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
01-03-2017, 07:12 AM
(26-01-2017 11:51 AM)Emma Wrote:  Totally out of the closet. Everyone I work with and in my family knows that I'm an atheist. I chose that I shout it from the rooftops, but idk if that's exactly true. I don't also just say when I'm asked. Sometimes I volunteer it in the context warrants it.

Me too. I get it out there when I can. I challenge my parents on Christianity all the time. I respect their beliefs. My dad was going to be a minister when deciding his courses at university. At the last moment he changed his mind and went down another path. That being said he is still a very active member of the church. I grew up with it shoved down my throat. As an adult I believe totally different. I still celebrate Christmas, and stuff like that. I think yesterday was pancake day. Isn't that something religious. Go to my parents house yesterday and there are loads of grandchildren eating pancakes with lots of money in them. Watch out or you'll swallow a loonie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
05-03-2017, 08:39 PM
I sometimes fill in at the front desk at the local Senior Center (no one asks my religious preferences); one day a member came up to me and proceed to tell me about a religious experience she had recently had that proved to her that God existed then asked me if I believed. I told her I was an atheist, since then whenever she passes the desk she not only doesn't look at me she passes as if I don't exist. Her problem not mine.

So If someone asks me my religious affiliation, or which church I attend or anything relating to religion I have no problem telling them I am an apatheist which screws up their expectations. Few people have ever heard the word apatheist much less having the slightest idea what it means.

So in short I have no problem proclaiming my "religious preference" though I can't recall, with the above exception, anyone asking me in the last 40 years.

It has never come up with my wife so I don't know how she would react and my family, son and daughter, are on the west coast so we don't seem to visit.

Actually I couldn't care less what someone else's religion, if any, is and don't particularly care if they know mine. On the other hand if asked I will answer truthly where I stand.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
[+] 1 user Likes Ro3bert's post
07-03-2017, 04:44 PM
(25-02-2017 09:35 PM)SYZ Wrote:  

I can verify that. I live in Orange County, CA and have been assaulted because of the "Atheist" bumper sticker on my car.
[+] 2 users Like Rachel's post
08-03-2017, 09:58 PM
> As far as my friends and co-workers were concerned, I came out as an atheist in 1982. My family found out in 1985 when I attended my first American Atheist Convention (Austin, TX).
17-03-2017, 04:52 AM
Never been in the closet, as far as I'm aware. My mum has always known, and is ok with it, whilst my dad is an Atheist himself, so not surprise for him.

I don't go about spouting it out, but I happily mention it if asked Smile

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
17-03-2017, 06:38 AM
In Spain it mostly wouldn't matter if you are religious or not. There's a whole spectrum of belief from manic to intermediates who don't believe at least half the bible and don't always trust priests and openly critical of church to total atheists but few people care very much about these pious theoretical ideas . Almost everyone goes to church here like they go to any other public space. No one points fingers about religiosity, it's just not important. Everyone participates in the community activities at Christmas and weddings etc in church . It doesn't matter where you are on the spectrum. Even the priests are happy for well behaved atheists or protestants to attend. No one would ask. It's part of the culture. Most don't listen much to the service and quite often say it was boring but enjoy the going in and out and seeing people and participating. It's quite relaxed. I feel sorry for folk in US who seem to be in very stressful religious environment . Can't atheists still go to church and just say you are not sure when asked, but say you are sure about scientific facts like evolution and big bang and see Noah's ark as an old story. Just let people gradually come to their senses?
[+] 1 user Likes Blanci's post
17-03-2017, 06:42 AM
(17-03-2017 06:38 AM)Blanci Wrote:  In Spain it mostly wouldn't matter if you are religious or not. There's a whole spectrum of belief from manic to intermediates who don't believe at least half the bible and don't always trust priests and openly critical of church to total atheists but few people care very much about these pious theoretical ideas . Almost everyone goes to church here like they go to any other public space. No one points fingers about religiosity, it's just not important. Everyone participates in the community activities at Christmas and weddings etc in church . It doesn't matter where you are on the spectrum. Even the priests are happy for well behaved atheists or protestants to attend. No one would ask. It's part of the culture. Most don't listen much to the service and quite often say it was boring but enjoy the going in and out and seeing people and participating. It's quite relaxed. I feel sorry for folk in US who seem to be in very stressful religious environment . Can't atheists still go to church and just say you are not sure when asked, but say you are sure about scientific facts like evolution and big bang and see Noah's ark as an old story. Just let people gradually come to their senses?

> It just isn't that easy in the USA. Fundamentalist Christianity is too politicized.